English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Requests > Looking for a game name ?

Old 27 November 2004, 20:56   #1
The Edge

Looking for the name of a really old Amiga game.

Ahoy all,

Wondering if anyone can help me here (new user). I had an Amiga when I was at high school. Around 1992/93 I had some disks loaned to me by a friend to try out. One of them was Winnie The Pooh. The other side had some game on it, similar to Maniac Mansion, but I know it wasn't called that. You had to get to some creepy mansion, starting at a graveyard. I remember there was a vampire involved and a scary forest as well. Past that tho, I can't remember. It was in the same type of format as Winnie, ie, you would move forward and it would load the next location on the screen. There was no animated character as such, you would press "up" and the next room would load. It could be mapped, but it would have taken a bit of time...

Does this game ring a bell with anyone? I'd love to just know the name of it again, but sadly, the disk is gone with the mists of time Reading this thread jogged a few memories tho

Thanks

Last edited by The Edge; 27 November 2004 at 21:57.
Old 30 November 2004, 11:18   #2
nzo
WHD/oldskool maniac

Maybe NightBreed
http://hol.abime.net/?id=969
http://hol.abime.net/?id=970
Old 30 November 2004, 11:46   #3
T_hairy_bootson
Workbitch 1.3

Fright Night?

http://hol.abime.net/?id=628
Old 02 December 2004, 05:05   #4
The Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodoichi
Doesn't quite fit the description:
Uninvited?
That is actually getting pretty close there. That's the exact style that the game was. I *think* the title was more than one word tho. I'll research that Uninvited one a bit more, but that's definitely on the right track. It wasn't a case of a character moving around the screen like those other suggestions, but thank you for your help so far people, I'm grateful for any help you can give

Edit: after checking out that game, it's along those lines. But the one I played didn't have a map anywhere on the screen, you had to play it from memory. I'm also not 100% sure about the vampire part now, but there was definitely a graveyard/forest type thing, and it was in the same style as Uninvited. I think the graphics *may* have been black and white to give it a "spooky" look...but again, not entirely sure on that one.

Last edited by The Edge; 02 December 2004 at 05:10.
Old 02 December 2004, 05:22   #5
BippyM
Global Moderator

Thread moved to the correct forum.. please check before posting!!
Old 02 December 2004, 06:50   #6
andreas
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
Could be OOZE - Creepy nights (english version).
Old 02 December 2004, 11:22   #7
Codetapper
2 contact me: email only!

Question Confused?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Edge
Ahoy all,

Wondering if anyone can help me here (new user). I had an Amiga when I was at high school. Around 1992/93 I had some disks loaned to me by a friend to try out. One of them was Winnie The Pooh. The other side had some game on it, similar to Maniac Mansion, but I know it wasn't called that.
Am I the only one that is thinking this can't be an Amiga game? "The other side" to me implies you had to turn the disk over, something you can't do on 3.5" disks which is surely what the game would have been had it existed on an Amiga! Are you sure it's not a C64 game you're thinking of?
Old 03 December 2004, 01:45   #8
The Edge

Sorry, my bad...and yes I am talking in newbie talk. I guess because it was so long ago, that I couldn't remember. It was either on the same disk as Winnie the Pooh (which is what I think was the case now I think about it) or it was on another disk. But thinking more now, I'm pretty sure it was on the same disk and possibly there was a menu to select which game.

The colours were mostly all white and black, there wasn't much colour in it at all, I think.
Old 03 December 2004, 12:14   #9
Belgarath
HOL Team Member

Crimson Crown?
Old 03 December 2004, 21:33   #10
The Edge

Oooh I think that could be it. It looks terribly familiar, and the name rings a faint bell. I'm going to research that one a little more. The colours don't look exactly like I remembered, but I'm going to check it out.

Belgarath, I thank you kind Sir, I think you may have solved the riddle for me.
Old 03 December 2004, 23:03   #11
The Edge

That is the game! Now I just need to find it somewhere...hmmm...

It was a pretty obscure game, so I don't like my chances

But thanks for your help people
Old 03 December 2004, 23:24   #12
Marcuz

in the zone
Old 03 December 2004, 23:27   #13
Chuckles
The Ancient One

Obscure is my middle name, and if I'm not mistaken it is the middle name of many other folks here. I'm pretty sure that I have it at home, and if someone else doesn't up it to the Zone before I get a chance to this evening, I'll up it myself.

BTW, I don't think the more or less colorless graphics were really intended to make the game look "spooky". The game was originally an Apple II title (where Penguin Software started out), and the graphics are more or less the quality of those you'd have found in the Apple II version, which makes them look really strange on the Amiga when compared to typical Amiga game graphics.

EDIT:

Looks like Marco beat me to posting it to the Zone while I was typing away, so enjoy!
Old 03 December 2004, 23:31   #14
The Edge

Thanks Marco. And thanks for the explanation Chuckles

Now another question. What is the best Amiga emulator to use? I'm trying to get "Amiga in a Box" working but it needs WinUAE. I might just redownload it...
Old 03 December 2004, 23:51   #15
Chuckles
The Ancient One

WinUAE, without a doubt. The "Amiga in a Box" download is nice, but it is intended to allow you to emulate a high-end Amiga setup using WinUAE, and if you're just getting into Amiga emulation, that's a bit of overkill. Most older Amiga titles didn't require anything more than a very basic Amiga setup, so that's the easiest place to start.
Old 03 December 2004, 23:55   #16
The Edge

Yep, I got WinUAE up and running and the game is exactly as I remember.

One question tho...was Crimson Crown meant to have any sound?
Old 04 December 2004, 00:17   #17
Chuckles
The Ancient One

I don't recall specifically, but I doubt it. Most Penguin games of this sort had little or no sound, and they didn't add a lot of features to their games when they ported them over to the Amiga.
Old 04 December 2004, 03:09   #18
The Edge

Sweet. Only thing is, now I'm playing the game I'm stuck in the cave under the ground. I found a tips guide online, but when I get to the part where I say "PRESS BUTTON" it doesn't open a door and I can't go any further. Any idea on this one?

Thanks people.

Edit: never mind, figured out it now

Last edited by The Edge; 04 December 2004 at 10:24.