English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 13 June 2012, 11:15   #1501
magnetic
Banned

Quote:
I've also noticed some problems with demos which switch screen modes as the Indy2 doesn't seem to be able to keep up.
Yeah, as Skarla said earlier in the thread i've experienced this as well. When the demo switches to next section the mode re-adjusts and the Indiviual logo comes onscreen.

Btw guys I asked earlier if there was a splash screen with the Amiga boots like with the INdivsion mk1. My monitor is out of range when booting (NTSC) so dont know if there is a splash or not.
Old 13 June 2012, 12:20   #1502
PopoCop

Quote:
Btw guys I asked earlier if there was a splash screen with the Amiga boots like with the INdivsion mk1. My monitor is out of range when booting (NTSC) so dont know if there is a splash or not.
There is no splash screen. The only extra thing that Indi 2 displays is logo in the corner when resolution changes.
Old 13 June 2012, 14:20   #1503
kipper2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbond007 View Post
Managed to get the RF modulator removed and got my kipper2k HDMI port installed.

I don't have it connected yet because I don't have a monitor that works with the DVI, so right now I need to use the VGA until the new core is ready...

I tested out the HDMI speaker connections and they did work, however I needed to run a separate ground wire to the RCA jacks. I'm guessing once the HDMI connector is connected to the Indivision it will have grounding, or should I ground the HDMI adapter as well? This may be caused because I put a few strips of electrical tape under under the bolts because I did not like how close the head of one was getting to a surface mount components on my MB version...

My next question is if both cables(the one that came with the Indivision and the one that came with the kipper2k) are compatible. Meaning, can I use the longer cable that came with the Indivision with the kipper2k HDMI port? I just have too much stuff getting in the way and need a longer cable.

BTW everything is super nice quality kit! Thanks!

Hi,

Once the HDMI cable is plugged in it should complete the ground circuit. Cables are compatible, i used the same DVI pinout that Jens used.

You can prove the sound works by just plugging in a HDMI cable into the Amiga and the correct HDMI input on your tv, change the input to that HDMI input and you should hear sound (no picture, as your monitor is not compatible yet).

There is no need to ground the HDMI adapter as there are common grounds that come from the DVI header that are fed to the HDMI connector so system ground should be present

The bolts are not connected to any part of the board traces so there can be no shorts. The bolts do not have to be super tight eitherr

Last edited by kipper2k; 13 June 2012 at 14:28.
Old 13 June 2012, 14:47   #1504
Riempie
Amiga freak

This thread is hard to understand now with many people having problems (crashes, graphic corruption, etc) caused by the different motherboard revisions, timing fixes, etc...

Can't Jens make a magic piece of hardware to tune/control this without the need of making modifications to the MK2, Motherboards, etc? I'd call it 'solve all your problems kit'.

Ok, I'll stop dreaming now...
Old 13 June 2012, 15:01   #1505
lordofchaos
TinkerTailorContentMaker

Thanks Schoenfeld, your info has saved me a few pennies indeed. Look's like the thing to do at this point is wait.
Old 13 June 2012, 18:21   #1506
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

I've done the timing fix and after half an hour running HighGfx without fan my indi has gone to black http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=64629

Edit: I do think it's the Indi that had any problem (the vertical bars were a prelude as no other has them), not my Timing fix. The Amiga is working perfect.

Last edited by Retrofan; 20 June 2012 at 01:44.
Old 18 June 2012, 08:00   #1507
Jope
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrofan View Post
Well, that's one opinion. I believe to remember another... "We recommend to put the upper RF shield back on. ... Operating the computer without the upper RF shield is possible, but might result in EM noise and probably even in random computer crashes. ..."

I think it can be ok if you discard it, but it won't avoid any problem, more on the contrary.
Here it is, straight from Jens' fingers:

http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=...&postcount=964

You can choose to believe what you like, I'll choose to smile and stroke my beard. And run my Amigas without RF shields. ;-)
Old 18 June 2012, 10:01   #1508
gibs
Banned

Anyways... The cable is so short that it is impossible to reach a screw...Totally useless...
Old 19 June 2012, 01:59   #1509
Bodie_CI5

Hello all,

My brother came down last week and we installed an Indy in both our A1200 and A4000.

My attention has now turned to the CD32. Has anyone fitted theirs with it? Is it harder than the A1200 fit? (I've never opened the CD32 before) How would the the software update work with the CD32s formatting?

Any answers will be greatly appreciated!

Old 19 June 2012, 03:05   #1510
Akiko

CI5

It's basically same as the 1200, just remove the RF shielding and locate the Lisa chip as before. This is mine installed, still on the to do list is remove the RF modulator and replace it with the cool little HDMI module I got from kipper2k

I'm not sure how to go about updating it yet, I think you will need a CD32 equipped with with an expansion module like a SX32, or temporally install it into the A4000D and do the update from there.

It might also be possible to make a custom workbench boot CD?
Old 19 June 2012, 08:33   #1511
qrulf

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibs View Post
Anyways... The cable is so short that it is impossible to reach a screw...Totally useless...
Erhm no, it's entirely possible to reach a screw. There is more than one photo in this thread that shows how it's done

[edit: like post 1023, 932]

Last edited by qrulf; 19 June 2012 at 08:40. Reason: links added
Old 19 June 2012, 08:50   #1512
gibs
Banned

Mine isn't that long...
Talking about pics on the net, one guy has the same length of cable as mine and had removed has inverted the screw of the Indivision to be able to use it
Wich is dangerous because of the smt components in this area of the board.
Old 19 June 2012, 13:42   #1513
Art

When the screen config utility is coming out ?

Any news from Jens ? I have got half screen worth of workbench on my monitor (with DVI-VGA adapter) with HIGHGFX super high res laced 1024x768 but with PAL high res laced looks just fine.
Old 19 June 2012, 15:19   #1514
Schoenfeld
electricky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibs View Post
Mine isn't that long...
Apart from this quote being good for a laugh, you should contact your reseller and send the cable back. All ground cables that come with Indivision AGA MK2 should be 140mm long, and yours should not be an exception.

No release date for the config tool (yet).

Jens
Old 19 June 2012, 16:38   #1515
Bodie_CI5

Akiko, hi and thanks for your reply!

Have you entirely removed your RF shield, or put it back in and cut it?

Thanks again.

Old 19 June 2012, 17:06   #1516
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akiko View Post
It might also be possible to make a custom workbench boot CD?
Indeed it is, made a few custom cd's for testing / changing settings / updating core on Indi MK1.
Old 19 June 2012, 23:55   #1517
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

I was connecting my Indi, using a Fast Ata even, like this guy:

And I don't think mine is the longest...

Last edited by Retrofan; 20 June 2012 at 22:31.
Old 20 June 2012, 21:35   #1518
magnetic
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schoenfeld View Post
. All ground cables that come with Indivision AGA MK2 should be 140mm long, and yours should not be an exception.
The ground cable does Barely reach the one screw right by the CPU port. However, its very taught and doesnt look safe that way. I ended up running the ground wire to the RF shield due to this. (you can see it in the pic I posted a few pages back)
Old 21 June 2012, 09:49   #1519
Calgor
(Amigas && Amigos)++

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schoenfeld View Post
All ground cables that come with Indivision AGA MK2 should be 140mm long, and yours should not be an exception.
So for A4000T we cannot connect the ground cable as-is to the motherboard: http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=...postcount=1176

Am I the only one using it in A4000T? Well, I have just left the ground cable connected to my Indivision but not the motherboard as I can't easily loosen the screw on the indivision anymore without uninstalling the whole indivision from the motherboard. Of course I have taped the metal at the end of the loose end of the cable so it does not make contact with any parts while hanging loose.
Old 21 June 2012, 18:01   #1520
bbond007

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetic View Post
The ground cable does Barely reach the one screw right by the CPU port. However, its very taught and doesnt look safe that way. I ended up running the ground wire to the RF shield due to this. (you can see it in the pic I posted a few pages back)
Well, I'd argue that it's a wire and not a cable anyway

I used the supplied ground wire to ground the DVI connector. I made a longer wire that connects to the screw on the bottom left of the MB(the one with the metal clip), and I soldered it to the Indy instead of using the supplied nut and bolt. I used just the minimum amount of solder so I could easily undo that.

I don't know if it's important to ground the DVI but I figure if you ever get static while connecting the cable... Can't hurt