English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.WHDLoad

Old 04 January 2006, 14:19   #1
Autana

A lost fool

hello all
i have had bought for me a set of WHD load games off of mame-roms.co.uk (2373 of them) and i have read your FAQ but am still at a loss here
after reading it am i correct in thinking that

1: you do indeed have to pay for the full WHDload program (if you do not accept cheques im screwed as i have no credit card) and

2: do you actually have to run these WHDload games from an actual amiga?

i have two old 500's and about three old amiga 1200's sitting in my cupboard but after reading the FAQ it seems that these games are not for an emulator anyways so i may as well just dig my old amigas out (and games) and just boot them up to save all the fuss or is it actually possible to run any of the 2373 games that i aquired from mame to run on a PC?
(i did not know that the games came as WHDload as someone bought them for me from mame.uk)

gah, as i say i'm lost as i have allways just used Winuae to run games in ADF format

any help would be greatly apreciated.

Old 04 January 2006, 14:31   #2
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

WHDLoad can be used without registering - although a few games won't work on the unregistered version. It is definitely worth buying if you use it though and will get rid of the nag screen.

This site (Abime) is not the WHDLoad site, by the way. The official site is here and the registration page is here.

As you mention WHDLoad is nothing to do with emulation and is actually a real Amiga software package. However as such it therefore runs under emulation and brings benefits (e.g. better game compatibility, lack of ADF swapping).

Your main issue at the moment is setting up WinUAE to run with a hard disk. Then you can install WHDLoad and run the WHDLoad installed games.

About that mame-roms website; it's unfortunate that these guys are profiting from both the games themselves and the installers (which are written for free).
Old 04 January 2006, 15:19   #3
BippyM
Global Moderator

It is a shame considering that ALL the games and all the games released since then can be downloaded for free :O
Old 04 January 2006, 19:23   #4
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autana
have had bought for me a set of WHD load games off of mame-roms.co.uk
Heh heh, totally illegal but hey, I wont tell anyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bippym
It is a shame considering that ALL the games and all the games released since then can be downloaded for free :O
What's a shame? That mame-rom.co.uk are duping people into buying pirate copies? I guess so.

For the record it should be said that games released for WHDload can be downloaded for free, but unless the game has been released freeware, it is still illegal to do so
Old 04 January 2006, 19:54   #5
BippyM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh
What's a shame? That mame-rom.co.uk are duping people into buying pirate copies? I guess so.
It's a shame this guy rushed out and paid a con site his cash when if he had only looked he'd have gotten hold of em for free!!
Old 04 January 2006, 20:07   #6
Autana

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyJarrett
WHDLoad can be used without registering - although a few games won't work on the unregistered version. It is definitely worth buying if you use it though and will get rid of the nag screen.

This site (Abime) is not the WHDLoad site, by the way. The official site is here and the registration page is here.

As you mention WHDLoad is nothing to do with emulation and is actually a real Amiga software package. However as such it therefore runs under emulation and brings benefits (e.g. better game compatibility, lack of ADF swapping).

Your main issue at the moment is setting up WinUAE to run with a hard disk. Then you can install WHDLoad and run the WHDLoad installed games.

About that mame-roms website; it's unfortunate that these guys are profiting from both the games themselves and the installers (which are written for free).
thank you very much for the response
the games i aquired on that site do not have any emulators such as winuae nor do they have WHDload on their disc's it is purely just the games, i was allways under the impression that if you own a hard copy of the games then this kind of purchase for me because i do own the originals would be ok

as i say though to pull out my real amiga to run this program would just mean that i might as well just pull out the real games as well because they are right next to it anyways and thats why i really wanted WHDload to be able to run on my PC, not to worry though and thanks again for your answer

Old 04 January 2006, 20:12   #7
Autana

Quote:
It's a shame this guy rushed out and paid a con site his cash when if he had only looked he'd have gotten hold of em for free!!
i have never found a game called alcatraz and it is the only amiga game that i cannot find anywhere (and no one seems to have heard of it wherever i ask) i have everything else but that game i played years ago and i suppose thats why i bought the software package, as i said in my last response though i do own all the other originals so i wasnt sure if this was wrong on my part for buying them, yes i had an inkling the site was run by arse heads making a profit from free games but i figured if thats the only way to get that one game then so be it plus i wanted to be able to run them on a PC anyway so i guess my purchase turned out to be turd anyway, lesson learnt and money lost

groovy.

Old 04 January 2006, 23:03   #8
BippyM
Global Moderator

you own about 1300 original games??

A quick search on eab will yield a website that hosts these for FREE!!
Old 05 January 2006, 10:49   #9
whiteb
Fanatically Amiga.

Quote:

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh !!!! we dont want big brother google sniffing that
Old 05 January 2006, 16:16   #10
Autana

Quote:

i've been hording computers and consoles since 1984

you should see me C64 collection