English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 14 June 2011, 05:44   #1
c0dehunter

A1200 + Classic WB + Secondary CF

Hello all,
I have a perfectly working ESCOM A1200, which bought used and it is pre-configured with a 2GB CF as Hdd. I wanted to see if I could (for my own learning purposes), temporarily unplug this CF, plug in a new CF and install Classic Workbench on it. That way, I learn how things are done, and if something goes wrong, then I still have my pre-configured, original CF and I can plug it back in.

Would you approve doing so?

Once I have the new CF, can I install the Classic WB on my real A1200, or do I need to configure it under WinUAE? (I would rather do it under my real A1200)

Thanks for your help!
Old 14 June 2011, 06:04   #2
desiv

As I believe the packs are HDF (hard disk files), it would be tricky to get them onto a real Amiga without WinUAE...
You'd need a way to "mount" the HDF file on the Amiga, and then copy everything to the hard drive that you have previously formatted...

It would be tricky..

It's really best to use WinUAE for that....

desiv
Old 14 June 2011, 06:26   #3
c0dehunter

OK, I don't mind using WinUAE for that matter. Would you let me know how?

My questions:

1) How do I configure my CF under WinUAE? (probably answered in your instructions though!)

2) Can I simply insert this created CF back to my real A1200?

Thanks!
Old 15 June 2011, 18:43   #4
desiv

I posted something on this before (in a reply to a thread), let me try to find the link.
Basically, it took me a little bit of fiddling to get WinUAE to see my card reader (which is in my photoprinter). Nothing major, but choosing the proper driver to publish in WinUAE (It will make more sense when I find the link to the directions, it's not really that hard.)..

ThenI just used my WinUAE Classic WB install to format the CF Card (you'll need to set your maxtransfer to something (else I can't remember off the top of my head) when you create the partitions on the Amiga.
Once formatted, I copied the whole content of my ClassicWB System to the CF card.
That was it.

Then I popped it into my 1200 and it worked..

desiv
Old 15 June 2011, 19:57   #5
illy5603

Send a message via MSN to illy5603
There is a ClassicWB support area here and I am sure what you are asking is already covered there as I used it to get my A1200 / CF card running from WINUAE and a ClassicWB Install. I think the key was unzipping everything to the CF card instead of copying it. Anyway, check over in the classicWB area.