English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 12 March 2013, 16:42   #1
hardwir3d
Zone Friend

remove spacebar?

I'm in the process of making a black Amiga. Already painted the keys of a dead keyboard black and put stickers on them. Last sunday while moving the black keys over to the 1200 I noticed the Amiga's spacebar is kinda fixed. Peeking underneath it, there seems to be somekind of small metal wire holding it firmly in place? It's kinda difficult to see properly, and I don't want to break anything.

Is it possible to remove and reattach the Amiga's spacebar? And if so, how to do it? Anyone?

Cheers!
Old 12 March 2013, 17:09   #2
demolition
Unregistered User

It is attached just like the shift and enter keys which also have a metal stabilizer, so yes it can be pried out.

Edit: I just tried it on my spare A1200 kb - pry out the middle of the space bar until it releases then you can lift it up and tilt it to see and release the metal stabilizer.
Old 13 March 2013, 17:05   #3
hardwir3d
Zone Friend

Well.... removing it went fine, refitting it does not so far... Kinda tricky, seems the springs don't generate enough lift. Peeking under the Amiga's spacebar, it seems the springs must be fit into the round holes but that's near impossible to do when trying to fit it back on? Did you manage refitting it, demolition? If so, i might overlook something here haha
Old 13 March 2013, 17:31   #4
john1979

Refitting the space bar, I hate doing it, so I clean my keyboard very little

First make sure you are putting it on the right way round, forget the springs and clip, just put it on and make sure it fits.

The way I do it is to mount the clip in the keyboard first, then mount the spacebar in the clip. It really helps to have the keys above the spacebar removed first so you can put the clip in with the underside facing you. Just slide one side in, then the other.

Next put the springs on the pegs then carefully rotate the spacebar over and press it home making sure you don't knock the springs over.

Good luck!

P.S. I really don't like messing with that spacebar
Old 13 March 2013, 18:51   #5
demolition
Unregistered User

It took me a while the first time as well, but once you find the right method, you can put it back in less than a minute.

I do it as follows:
Install the metal bar into the base first. Looking into the bottom of the keyboard, insert one end of the space bar onto the metal rod. Use a screwdriver or similar to sligtly bend the other end on to the space bar. Only a few mm is needed. Now insert the three springs and press the space bar into place. Done.
Old 14 March 2013, 18:03   #6
hardwir3d
Zone Friend

Already had managed to reattach it just like demolition did. But the spacebar remained in a downward position. Turns out I was doing it the right way, but I forgot to *exactly center the metal clip* (it was pulled a little to the right) before pressing the bar back on. After aligning it, it worked flawlessly Little culprit found.

Thank you all for you help and suggestions!

Last edited by hardwir3d; 14 March 2013 at 18:08.