English Amiga Board


Go Back   English Amiga Board > Misc > EAB's competition

 
 
Thread Tools
Old 05 November 2017, 10:49   #41
john4p
Local Moderator
john4p's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Germany
Posts: 3,435
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Humphrey View Post
All I ask is people make the moderators' lives a bit easier and don't irk other players by keeping within the spirit and not bending the rules as far as they can without actually breaking them, and then trying to tell other people what those limits are and that they shouldn't go beyond them. It's all a bit daft really and doesn't achieve anything.
I agree. Let's put a joyful experience for all participants first and if someone spots a way to bend the rules that'll cause to lessen the fun for most if not all then let's agree to not play that way. Sorry for trying out this technique in the first place - Amegas would've been a lot more fun if we hadn't played like that.
john4p is offline  
AdSense AdSense  
Old 05 November 2017, 10:51   #42
Graham Humphrey
Moderator
Graham Humphrey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Norwich, Norfolk, UK
Age: 31
Posts: 11,029
The turnout has been quite a pleasant surprise. However I am still glad we can put this one to bed. Sometimes it takes a bit of time for problems to become apparent because we've always had people who can really push games to their limits, so I guess imperfections will always come up now and again.

Anyway... this round's now over and there was quite a dramatic final twist over on the Lemon side. Let's go through the podium in tension-builidng reverse order...

Taking the bronze medal was ED-209. Leading for a little while with a healthy score of over 73,000, in the end it was a relatively distant third-placed finish.

The silver medal position went to... john4p, amazingly enough, despite being comfortably ahead with less than two hours left. Someone found the time to finish ahead of him and that was...

...Rinusch, whose score of over 98,000 came in at 10:20pm on the final day and ensured his first-ever gold medal in the competition.

In the standings, John has gone over the 300-point mark which is the highest ever points total anyone's managed in a season. liviux76 and LinesMachine have guaranteed second and third place respectively with healthy points tallies. ED-209 has gone a very long way to securing fourth position, while Joni, lifeschool and Harry are realistically battling for fifth spot, despite it being mathematically possible to catch ED.

Another team victory for EAB now means the score stands at 11-6 for the season. Can Lemon at least manage to have the final say?
Graham Humphrey is offline  
Old 06 November 2017, 08:42   #43
Graham Humphrey
Moderator
Graham Humphrey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Norwich, Norfolk, UK
Age: 31
Posts: 11,029
Quote:
Originally Posted by john4p View Post
I agree. Let's put a joyful experience for all participants first and if someone spots a way to bend the rules that'll cause to lessen the fun for most if not all then let's agree to not play that way. Sorry for trying out this technique in the first place - Amegas would've been a lot more fun if we hadn't played like that.
(Missed this post - the joys of posting at the same time eh?)

Not to worry. As usual, problems don't become apparent until later on - and as we have seen many times in the past, the only reason we reveal some of the issues are precisely because there have always been players who push it to the limits, so there's not a lot anyone can really do. It's probably just as well it happens as although it doesn't necessarily feel that way at the time, that knowledge helps in the future.

Anyway, I was aware I was perhaps slightly blunt back there. That was purely out of frustration having seen some of the other concerns being raised at that point, and something I should have thought about a bit more before posting. So apologies to anyone who thought I was being a bit unreasonable!
Graham Humphrey is offline  
Old 06 November 2017, 11:01   #44
john4p
Local Moderator
john4p's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Germany
Posts: 3,435
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Humphrey View Post
Missed this post - the joys of posting at the same time eh?
Was a surprise when I saw your post, hadn't noticed Rinusch's late victory yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Humphrey View Post
Not to worry. As usual, problems don't become apparent until later on - and as we have seen many times in the past, the only reason we reveal some of the issues are precisely because there have always been players who push it to the limits, so there's not a lot anyone can really do. It's probably just as well it happens as although it doesn't necessarily feel that way at the time, that knowledge helps in the future.
Definitely. Impossible to forsee any possible issue beforehand. But with every season we're getting better due to this knowledge acquired in past rounds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Humphrey View Post
Anyway, I was aware I was perhaps slightly blunt back there. That was purely out of frustration having seen some of the other concerns being raised at that point, and something I should have thought about a bit more before posting. So apologies to anyone who thought I was being a bit unreasonable!
No problem at all, the frustration was pretty apparent and it was early in the morning. Just shows how much this competition means to you.
john4p is offline  
AdSense AdSense  
 


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
EAB/Lemon Super League 2017: Round 14 - Mystery Round Nominations Graham Humphrey EAB's competition 4 12 October 2017 08:37
EAB/Lemon Super League 2017: Round 10 - Super Cars Graham Humphrey EAB's competition 58 04 September 2017 23:59
EAB/Lemon Super League 2017: Round 7 - Benefactor Graham Humphrey EAB's competition 36 11 June 2017 22:40
EAB/Lemon Super League 2017: Round 7 - Mystery Round Nominations Graham Humphrey EAB's competition 4 21 May 2017 09:02
EAB/Lemon Super League 2017: Round 6 - Lionheart Graham Humphrey EAB's competition 40 21 May 2017 01:30

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 20:05.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Page generated in 0.06260 seconds with 14 queries