English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 18 February 2013, 11:42   #621
Schoenfeld
electricky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulo_becas View Post
I have a question for you, right now my 500 is equiped with a 68010-P10 CPU
Will there be any problem when pluging in the ACA500?

No problem - the 68010 will just be switched off when the ACA500 is active.

Jens
Old 18 February 2013, 15:16   #622
_ThEcRoW
Amiga NetRunner

Well, 2mb ram should be plentiful for an 500. And the possibility of hd via cf is appealing too. Hope it gets builded soon, as i have a 500 that would take it quickly!.
Old 18 February 2013, 15:50   #623
paulo_becas

I have to say that at first i didn't understand why Jens reduced the amount of memory on the expansion, but now it makes sence because who ever wants a cheap solution for a HD for games, 2Mb is more than enough while on the other hand if you want to increase the processing capability you can always get an ACA 1230 for it.

It's a win win situation and for the price it's just great.
Old 18 February 2013, 16:23   #624
moijk
License to Bubble

Quote:
It's a win win situation and for the price it's just great.
I'll admit I'll buy a couple no matter how Chamelon-colored or naked PCB they'll get.
Old 19 February 2013, 11:51   #625
paulo_becas

Ok i have another question and sorry if it's a little offtopic but since i have the Clockport interface for the amiga 500 is it possible for me to plug in the Catweasel MK2 and use the IDE interface for a HD?
I'm a bit confused, i know that the catweasel is a floppy controller and when i saw the IDE pins on it it make me wonder if this is possible.
Old 19 February 2013, 12:22   #626
Schoenfeld
electricky.

Quote:
Ok i have another question and sorry if it's a little offtopic but since i have the Clockport interface for the amiga 500 is it possible for me to plug in the Catweasel MK2 and use the IDE interface for a HD?
I'm a bit confused, i know that the catweasel is a floppy controller and when i saw the IDE pins on it it make me wonder if this is possible.
Yep, you're confusing a number of things here. First of all, the "prime directive" with the ACA500 is still standing: Before you install the ACA500, you need to remove anything from the computer that is not trapdoor-related (memory expansion with Gary-adapter can stay in).

The A500 clockport adapter can theoretically stay in, but it will not work any more with the ACA500 plugged in - the clockports will be dead, because there's a clockport on the ACA500 with accelerated timing.

The Catweasel MK2 is only a floppy-controller. The IDE headers on the board are purely for operating the unit in a computer that does not have a clockport: You can connect the unit to an IDE port instead, but you will not be able to operate anything on the IDE ports while the unit is connected to a clockport. The IDE ports must stay open when the clockport is used.

Jens
Old 19 February 2013, 12:46   #627
paulo_becas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schoenfeld View Post
Yep, you're confusing a number of things here. First of all, the "prime directive" with the ACA500 is still standing: Before you install the ACA500, you need to remove anything from the computer that is not trapdoor-related (memory expansion with Gary-adapter can stay in).
Thank's for the reply Jens now i understand.
Do i have to take off indivision as well???

I also have a 2Mb sidecar memory (see picture) is it still going to be useful with the aca500?

Old 19 February 2013, 13:00   #628
Schoenfeld
electricky.

Quote:
Thank's for the reply Jens now i understand.
Do i have to take off indivision as well???
Indivision ECS can stay in - it won't interfere with the CPU bus like many other things do.

Quote:
I also have a 2Mb sidecar memory (see picture) is it still going to be useful with the aca500?
ACA500 must be plugged directly to the A500. It may work with that thing (worth a try), but I won't guarantee that, and I'm pretty sure that it will not work any more if you add an A1200 accelerator. Even if that thing looks small, it will consume lots of power, as it's probably designed sometime in the 90s (looks like the Megamix 500).

Jens
Old 19 February 2013, 13:10   #629
paulo_becas

Quote:
I
ACA500 must be plugged directly to the A500. It may work with that thing (worth a try), but I won't guarantee that, and I'm pretty sure that it will not work any more if you add an A1200 accelerator. Even if that thing looks small, it will consume lots of power, as it's probably designed sometime in the 90s (looks like the Megamix 500).
I like the way you call that expansion, "thing", and you're right it's the Megamix 500. Well, now i have to think in getting a ACA1220 or 1230

Thank's for clear this doubts.
Old 19 February 2013, 20:07   #630
Calabazam

Would that be possible to have the VGA port of the Indivision ECS directly on the ACA500? I am very reluctant to cut my good old A500 case to fit a VGA port. I won't ever butcher my first amiga.
Old 20 February 2013, 08:10   #631
nikos.rizos

@Schoenfeld

I know it's early for this one as you are not in the final stage of production.
Will the ACA500+ACA123X fit inside a GVP HD8+ or 590 empty case?

If I got this right you will sell the ACA500 without a case/housing...right?
Old 20 February 2013, 21:51   #632
Schoenfeld
electricky.

I really don't know what the original A590 or other cases look like. The ACA500 "flat" design was a very tight fit in board routing, and I hardly have the chance to move mounting holes anywhere else. Reason for this "tight fit" was that I tried to move the ACA1232 position as far back as possible, so it ends about where the A500 ends.

On the previous design, I thought it's OK when the ACA1232 is pushing a little further back, because there are cables pointing out of the A500's back anyway.

The "flat" sample PCB will arrive sometime next week - I'm happy to publish pictures that show how far back an A1200 accelerator will reach.

Yes, I'll do my best to make a case unnecessary. I never had an Amiga-related project where I had to make a total of three substantially different prototypes - I did not plan this kind of expenses, and there's other things that cost money that I haven't published yet - some software, and some hardware features that I know will work, but haven't verified them in real life yet.

Jens
Old 26 February 2013, 14:08   #633
utri007
mä vaan

This could be best selling product

But you really need to thing of look of it, it must be "beautiful" product, wich is easy to install to side of amiga and also looks good/professional.

Too bad that it would be difficult to make pre installed OS to it that would make it even easier.

There were 7 000 000 amiga users, 95% of them has good memories of Amiga 500.
Old 26 February 2013, 19:33   #634
Calabazam

I have another question.
What is going to happen if the A500 is fitted with an internal accelerator and then i plug an ACA500? Will the internal board be deactivated nicely or is there a risk of frying everything?

I would also like to have an answer about the possibility to have a VGA output on the ACA500 to connect with the Indivision: if i know that i can have an Indivision ECS without cutting my A500 case, i would buy one right away.
Old 27 February 2013, 11:17   #635
Schoenfeld
electricky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calabazam View Post
I have another question.
What is going to happen if the A500 is fitted with an internal accelerator and then i plug an ACA500? Will the internal board be deactivated nicely or is there a risk of frying everything?
There is the risk of frying one or both of the boards. You MUST remove any internal accelerator. The 68000 CPU must sit directly in it's socket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calabazam View Post
I would also like to have an answer about the possibility to have a VGA output on the ACA500 to connect with the Indivision: if i know that i can have an Indivision ECS without cutting my A500 case, i would buy one right away.
I currently have no case for the ACA500, so the question can't be answered. You can surely route the VGA cable of Indivision ECS out through the side-port (plenty of space for that!), but there is nothing on ACA500 where you can *mount* the VGA connector. I wouldn't want to do that, because you'd rip it apart if you try to remove the ACA500.

Jens
Old 27 February 2013, 11:43   #636
daro2096

When is the software for the mkii scan doubler going to be ready?
Old 27 February 2013, 12:07   #637
moijk
License to Bubble

Quote:
I never had an Amiga-related project where I had to make a total of three substantially different prototypes - I did not plan this kind of expenses, and there's other things that cost money that I haven't published yet - some software, and some hardware features that I know will work, but haven't verified them in real life yet.
Does this mean an increased price? And is the community to blame, or your own indecisions regarding the aca 520 to aca 500 and internal to external transformations?

Just asking out of curiosity.
Old 28 February 2013, 09:25   #638
Schoenfeld
electricky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daro2096 View Post
When is the software for the mkii scan doubler going to be ready?
When it's done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moijk View Post
Does this mean an increased price? And is the community to blame, or your own indecisions regarding the aca 520 to aca 500 and internal to external transformations?
I don't know why a few people still think that "transforming from ACA520 to ACA500" was such an expensive endeavour - the ACA520 only existed as a plan in my head, not even as schematics in the CAD system.

The first prototype was internal, sitting on the 68k socket. It works, but is too complicated to install.

The second prototype was external: The slim, but "too high" design that so many people complained about.

The third prototype has (almost) the same schematics as the second prototype, but a different shape (flat, wide design). Will post pictures later today.

Only the third prototype is community-driven. It has multiple small changes that I'm about to test today, so it has not just the advantage of being seen as "prettier", but also the advantage of being a test vehicle for numerous small changes that I would not want to wire up on the second prototype (bending pins up and re-wiring them somewhere else is tedious and error-prone).

I don't expect the price to change - the plan is to cover the expenses of the third prototype by removing the steel cover from the equation. The board has a total of four grounded mount holes, so whoever wants to design a case has the possibility to do so.

There's more (planned!) expenses for software that will be published later this week.

Jens
Old 28 February 2013, 10:00   #639
dJOS

Hi jens, im not sure if this is possible but how about designing a 3D printed case (in 2 halfs that easily click together) and making the design available for free to those who would like a GVP style case for their ACA500?
Old 28 February 2013, 10:24   #640
Schoenfeld
electricky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dJOS View Post
Hi jens, im not sure if this is possible but how about designing a 3D printed case (in 2 halfs that easily click together) and making the design available for free to those who would like a GVP style case for their ACA500?
Great idea. Why don't you start with the outer design and then add the holes where to add screws&bolts later when you have your board? I normally don't work for free.

Jens