English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 24 August 2009, 01:52   #1
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

The worst game 'review' on YouTube

I found this on YouTube today : [ Show youtube player ]
After watching Matt's great reviews and stumbling over this one I just had to share it. If you find/know of another great or (like this one) very bad reviewer, then just post them here in the thread

P.S. : THB showed me this guy. Not Retro related, but just brilliant
Old 24 August 2009, 02:12   #2
Leffmann

Check out The Angry Nintendo Nerd as well. He shreds crappy console games. Mostly NES games as they are innately crappy.

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/an...54664?type=flv
Old 24 August 2009, 02:18   #3
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Yeah I watched quite a few of the AVGN episodes and his reviews are sometimes quite funny. Most of the games he reviews are really crappy, so it's good for a laugh, but not to find games to play
Btw : It seems the guy really loves the NES and that is why he knows so many really bad games for it.
Old 24 August 2009, 02:27   #4
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

I can't stand the AVGN but dear oh dear these guys should be shot.

NO NO NO.

Please never let these guys be seen on t'internet ever, ever, ever again.

Unless they are reviewing ways in which to be killed
Old 24 August 2009, 04:19   #5
Adropac2
Zone Friend

Youtube is the greatest thing it really is, but only about 1% of it.I tend to feel better about myself having watched a few Youtube videos

Not really a dig at our american chums but what's the percentage of Americans using Youtube?. I'm really just curious as 99% of Youtube stuff appears to have originated from there.I'm guessing it's a very high amount given how incredibly funny Americans are and these videos are always about as hilarious as this one
Old 24 August 2009, 10:05   #6
NewDeli
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to NewDeli
This guy has a taste for oldies I consider good games, but messes up his video reviews & longplays by mumbling nonsense with a thick accent.

He makes up the inept reviews on YT in case you have stumbled on those in the past.

Last edited by NewDeli; 24 August 2009 at 10:13.
Old 24 August 2009, 19:53   #7
Adropac2
Zone Friend

His concept of what qualifies good gameplay is also lacking and what's with all the swearing
Old 25 August 2009, 02:31   #8
mattbarton.exe

You guys are really too nice. I know my videos don't deserve it, but I won't lie--always makes me feel ten feet high reading your comments about them!

I thought the OP's video was pretty funny. The guys looked a bit high, but it was amusing to see a couple of obviously good friends having such a good time. I can remember being that age--having a good friend like that is so important, especially for those of us who were (and are) very "nerdy" and have to deal with ignorant hate on a daily basis. I wonder what they will think of their videos ten or twenty years down the road, though. When I was that age my friends and I would occasionally make tapes or VHS movies, but thankfully those were never aired in a public forum.

I know all my videos aren't great, but I always ask myself what I would want to know about a game and then what kind of images/footage I can use to illustrate it. I am still struggling with the time limit and trying to decide how much or how little of each thing to show. I know 10 minutes feels like forever and a day if you're watching a video, but when you're trying to make it it feels more like 10 seconds.
Old 25 August 2009, 02:36   #9
Zandig

Always good to see some YouTube comedy
Old 25 August 2009, 08:24   #10
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattbarton.exe View Post
I know all my videos aren't great, but I always ask myself what I would want to know about a game and then what kind of images/footage I can use to illustrate it. I am still struggling with the time limit and trying to decide how much or how little of each thing to show. I know 10 minutes feels like forever and a day if you're watching a video, but when you're trying to make it it feels more like 10 seconds.
I really like you understatement Matt You reviews are really good. One can easily see that you put a fair amount of time in researching the background of the game and its predecessors. This really adds much to a retro game review. Maybe your actual game coverage could be a tad longer, but I can see how you try to balance it with the background info within the 11 minute time frame. So... don't underestimate your work and keep it up
Old 25 August 2009, 09:41   #11
Anakirob
Unregistered User

That zeropunctuation is some of the funniest shit I've seen in a while.

"...like a subbuteo player mouthing off to his pimp". That was 'the straw which broke the camels back'. I had to stop the video shortly after this as I can't stop laughing long enough to hear the rest of the review.
Old 25 August 2009, 09:51   #12
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Exactly the same here Anakirob Cheers again to THB for showing me this guy
Old 25 August 2009, 10:15   #13
Peter
Still an Amiga user

I couldn't help but like thisistheminutemen - they certainly made me laugh... they really shafted Gods and as anyone knows Gods is a great game...

They certainly don't do anything to improve the image of us video game players... but with videos like this [ Show youtube player ] - who cares?
Old 25 August 2009, 10:42   #14
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

Agree about the zero punctuation stuff.

If any of you have heard/read anything by Charlie Brooker, it has a similar feel to it.
Old 25 August 2009, 20:42   #15
Adropac2
Zone Friend

I should probably add that i was of course being quite sarcastic
Old 27 August 2009, 17:50   #16
gleng

Quote:
Originally Posted by killergorilla View Post
If any of you have heard/read anything by Charlie Brooker, it has a similar feel to it.
According to his Twitter updates, Charlie Brooker's Gameswipe is coming out next month on the BBC. I think it's a 1 hour special, but it would be nice if he did a full series.
Old 27 August 2009, 17:53   #17
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

That would indeed be awesome. I'll definitely be downloading that.
Old 22 November 2009, 22:05   #18
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

I found another good (IMO) reviewer : The Spoony Experiment (thanks to FreakyWeakyWoo )
Kinda raunchy and he reminds me quite a bit of the AVGN, but he got a slightly different tone and also makes 'Let's play' type ones. Recommended
P.S. : Check out Swat 4 and Phantasmagoria 2
Old 26 November 2009, 23:34   #19
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

After watching the Nostalgic Critic vs. AVGN battle (http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/vid...iversary-video) I found this dude : http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/vid.../benzaie/gymdk
And he actually (surprise ) reviews Amiga games Check him out.
Btw : I second plankton's recommendation for Nostalgic Critic regarding movies
Old 28 November 2009, 04:05   #20
Dan Locke

I once saw a "review" of Wipeout 64 that consisted entirely of the "reviewers" playing it like they were four-year-olds and pointing out how it wasn't F-Zero. Somehow, that made it a terrible game.

Then they deleted every comment that I left and told me to stop "spamming".

Last edited by Dan Locke; 28 November 2009 at 19:06.