English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 08 November 2016, 01:14   #401
Methanoid
Retired Quartex Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by turrican9 View Post
No secret I am very excited for this new firmware, yes indeed. I will just sit here and refresh and hope for news

You might not be intending to come across in a particular manner but to me it comes across a lot worse than "excited". If I were Jeff I would be feeling harassed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08 November 2016, 01:32   #402
turrican9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methanoid View Post
You might not be intending to come across in a particular manner but to me it comes across a lot worse than "excited". If I were Jeff I would be feeling harassed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Oh, well. I have not been spamming him with private messages or anything like that.
Old 08 November 2016, 16:36   #403
oissery77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_HxC2001 View Post
FYI a new firmware with some important changes is on the way.
Great news Jeff!
Old 10 November 2016, 19:07   #404
turrican9

So is there some kind of Windows utility that can assign image files to tracks on the Gotek HXC, like the Amiga Gotek SELECTOR.ADF Edit (Editor for Cortex HxC Gotek Floppy drive Emulators) can for Goteks with Cortex firmware? I don't think this works with the HXC firmware, as I tried it and it didn't show anything on either side of the window.
Old 10 November 2016, 20:25   #405
demolition
Unregistered User

I find it odd that he calls the tool HxCEdit if it is not made for HxC? But such a tool would be very useful indeed.
Old 10 November 2016, 20:28   #406
turrican9

Quote:
Originally Posted by demolition View Post
I find it odd that he calls the tool HxCEdit if it is not made for HxC? But such a tool would be very useful indeed.
yeah, it's very strange. But it requires the selector.adf from Cortex
Old 11 November 2016, 00:02   #407
turrican9

So another question.. So Battlesquadron.adf would not save my high score. Would it save my highscore if the adf was converted to hfe format? I think this is common for many games when run in adf format, that they wont save highscore?
Old 11 November 2016, 00:05   #408
dJOS

Quote:
So another question.. So Battlesquadron.adf would not save my high score. Would it save my highscore if the adf was converted to hfe format? I think this is common for many games when run in adf format, that they wont save highscore?

It should work fine with hfe, as I've mentioned before, adf is a great archive format but was never designed to be used in floppy drive emulators.
Old 11 November 2016, 00:12   #409
turrican9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dJOS View Post
It should work fine with hfe, as I've mentioned before, adf is a great archive format but was never designed to be used in floppy drive emulators.
Yeah, I had converted many of my favourite games to hfe but I could not convert everything as then it would not fit on my 8GB USB drives. Also, is it common that some games don't work after conversion? I think it was Jaguar XJ220 that did not work anymore after it was converted to hfe.

Anyway, I will sit down one day and make a long list of all my favourite games and then convert them.
Old 11 November 2016, 00:13   #410
dJOS

Quote:
Yeah, I had converted many of my favourite games to hfe but I could not convert everything as then it would not fit on my 8GB USB drives. Also, is it common that some games don't work after conversion? I think it was Jaguar XJ220 that did not work anymore after it was converted to hfe.

Anyway, I will sit down one day and make a long list of all my favourite games and then convert them.

I've never had anything fail after conversion but I use my Mac mini for most conversions.
Old 11 November 2016, 00:15   #411
demolition
Unregistered User

Quote:
Are we talking ADF in a floppy emulator or the ADF image in general e.g. when written to a real floppy or played through WinUAE?

Many cracked games cannot save highscores - some intentionally (due to trainers), others because they simply didn't bother fixing that part. This will not change if you convert the image to HFE since it is not a problem with the format, but with the code.
Old 11 November 2016, 00:16   #412
turrican9

Quote:
Originally Posted by demolition View Post
Are we talking ADF in a floppy emulator or the ADF image in general e.g. when written to a real floppy or played through WinUAE?

Many cracked games cannot save highscores - some intentionally (due to trainers), others because they simply didn't bother fixing that part. This will not change if you convert the image to HFE since it is not a problem with the format, but with the code.
In this case it was a cracked version ADF running from Gotek floppy emulator with the latest beta HXC firmware on a real Amiga 500.

Thanks for the information
Old 11 November 2016, 19:20   #413
turrican9

Tried the same cracked version of Battle Squadron on real floppy on one of my other Amiga 500s. Write protection off and still dont save highscore. So the problem is not the ADF format in this case.
Old 12 November 2016, 15:09   #414
Jope
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by dJOS View Post
ADF is a fine format for any disk that uses standard AmigaDOS tracks. If the floppy emulator can't write back reliably, then the emulator is buggy.

Naturally if you're trying to support some custom track format, then ADF is not the file format of choice.
Old 12 November 2016, 15:54   #415
turrican9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jope View Post
ADF is a fine format for any disk that uses standard AmigaDOS tracks. If the floppy emulator can't write back reliably, then the emulator is buggy.

Naturally if you're trying to support some custom track format, then ADF is not the file format of choice.
Yeah, I had very little trouble with ADFs so I will for the most part use ADFs on my Gotek HXC units. HFE takes 3 times as much space. However, there is one case where I had to use extended ADF then convert it to HFE. That case is Cannon Fodder save disk.

Other than this I have not seen any reason to why I should convert ADFs to HFE. Maybe a few games need HFE to save highscores? But would that work anyway if it was ADF before it was converted?

What I'm hoping for now is proper IPF support on the Gotek HXC so we can run original images.
Old 12 November 2016, 16:21   #416
Jope
-

Your scenario there is precisely a custom track format scenario where a regular adf is not enough.
Old 13 November 2016, 00:05   #417
turrican9

So I have been sitting and trying demos on my Amiga 500 and Gotek HXC. Some demos would not load and crashed with a guru. Did not think much about it. Then a demo called Misery also crashed when loading. Just for fun I wrote the ADF to disk and tried it in another Amiga 500. Worked without a problem.

Next I tried to use the Cortex firmware on the Amiga with Gotek (luckily you can easily go back to Cortex firmware as long as you already have HXC). Anyway, with the cortex firmware the demo loaded with no problems. As for the others that did not load with the HXC firmware I have not tried them yet on the Cortex. Forget what demos they were. Using the latest 3.0.8.2 firmware for HXC.

Will investigate on some other demos that did not load on the HXC firmware. I could also try with an older HXC firmware. I know Amigashop.eu shipped two drives I ordered from there with an older HXC firmware. Maybe there was a reason for that

Edit: So I tried with the HXC firmware 3.0.6.7 that was shipped with the two drives from amigashop.eu. Same problem with the misery adf. I also tried to convert it to hfe. same problem. Now I will try to find the other demos that did not work and test them with the Cortex firmware

Also incredible annoying with the HXC firmware that if you have alot of tracks assigned and cannot count backwards from track 000 to go directly to the last one. Also, when you count all the way to the last one and hold the button a fraction of a second too long it will go back to 000 and you have to count all the way again. Another thing is that the buttons are over sensitive when compared to Cortex. Even if you make it short clicks it can suddenly count over 1 or two tracks. Make the navigation just like on the Cortex firmware and it will be perfect. And of course give it 999 tracks.

The reason I bought HXC firmware was because I expected it to be better VS Cortex. I hope the next firmware update Jeff is working on will fix most of the issues.

Last edited by turrican9; 13 November 2016 at 00:40.
Old 14 November 2016, 20:35   #418
oissery77

Quote:

Will investigate on some other demos that did not load on the HXC firmware. I could also try with an older HXC firmware. I know Amigashop.eu shipped two drives I ordered from there with an older HXC firmware. Maybe there was a reason for that

I hope the next firmware update Jeff is working on will fix most of the issues.
Interesting tests, thanks. Particularly for ADF that worked on Cortex FW. I'm hoping too that the next update from Jeff will contain the IPF support V2 .
Old 14 November 2016, 20:48   #419
Sinphaltimus

Is it true that once you're on the HxC, you can update via usb and not have to remove from it a computer in orderto reprogram?
Old 14 November 2016, 20:50   #420
dJOS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinphaltimus View Post
Is it true that once you're on the HxC, you can update via usb and not have to remove from it a computer in orderto reprogram?

It is indeed.