English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 21 June 2010, 13:27   #1
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

FW : Son of Transputer powers new Amiga box

Looks like someone from TheRegister went to the Amiga 25yr thing at Bletchley

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/06/21/amiga_x1000/

I'd like to point out that the dual core PPC actually powers the new "Amiga" and the X-Core transputer is just "thrown in there"

Quote:
Long-time Amiga enthusiast Trevor Dickinson, director of the company set up to create the X1000, A-Eon, said the team hadn't set a price for the box, but suggested it would be "North of £1,500",
I think that rules out 99.99% of all Amiga enthusiasts. So they hope to sell at least 20
Old 21 June 2010, 14:27   #2
Jimbo

£1500 would buy one hell of a PC.
Old 21 June 2010, 14:40   #3
Mikey_C

Hmm, well, considering that they were gonna offer 100 beta tester machines and instead have got 150 people who have said "Yes" means that your 20 people theory is wrong.
Old 21 June 2010, 14:50   #4
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Someone on IRC said it's gonna be north of £2,000. 150 people eh? Hope they haven't spend more than £300,000 yet then. Really a tad ridiculous. Hey, just my 2 € cent
Old 21 June 2010, 16:06   #5
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

@Mikey C

But are they are charging the Beta testers £1500+ ?
Old 21 June 2010, 17:22   #6
DDNI
Targ Explorer

Send a message via ICQ to DDNI Send a message via MSN to DDNI
beta testers will not have the same rights as end users.
NO ONE outside the beta test NDA knows what this means.
Old 21 June 2010, 17:25   #7
moijk
License to Bubble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
£1500 would buy one hell of a PC.
At least a modern pc with modern chipsets and fairly high end processor/gfx card. If you want the more extreme, as in "hell of a PC" you would need to go a bit further north of that price, probably up to twice that.

But still, 1500 for something that probably never will get fully utilized is a large slump of money. The original Amiga became great for what was made for it, with a small number of users the hours and hours behind an assembler to squeeze the last bit out of the machine might not be present, especially when you got a more powerful machine next to it.

In the interview that the article points to he mention something about 'Personally, I believe there would be a market for an "Amiga Netbook"', and I ponder why on earth they didn't go that route first. Something at a price more would buy to further expand the user base.

If I want a dualcore high end ppc machine the old mac pro g5 is quite cheap on the used marked. Probably just as powerful, not counting the additional x-chips.
Old 21 June 2010, 18:07   #8
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

So glad this is not A.org. Just got a link to the thread over there...
/me hugs EAB
Old 21 June 2010, 18:10   #9
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

I'm going to start saving now.

This looks fecking brilliant!

WOW. At last the Amiga is back where it belongs.

Bring out the gimp.
Old 21 June 2010, 18:58   #10
RabidRabbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by moijk View Post
At least a modern pc with modern chipsets and fairly high end processor/gfx card. If you want the more extreme, as in "hell of a PC" you would need to go a bit further north of that price, probably up to twice that.

But still, 1500 for something that probably never will get fully utilized is a large slump of money. The original Amiga became great for what was made for it, with a small number of users the hours and hours behind an assembler to squeeze the last bit out of the machine might not be present, especially when you got a more powerful machine next to it.

In the interview that the article points to he mention something about 'Personally, I believe there would be a market for an "Amiga Netbook"', and I ponder why on earth they didn't go that route first. Something at a price more would buy to further expand the user base.

If I want a dualcore high end ppc machine the old mac pro g5 is quite cheap on the used marked. Probably just as powerful, not counting the additional x-chips.
1500 pounds is Waaayyyyyy too much! For that price you CAN get a kick-ass PC system.

On overclockers you can get a gaming system with Intel Core i7 930 2.8Ghz quad core with 6Gb ram and a (barebones system) Radeon HD 4850 GFX card.

All this for 905 pounds.

I'm sorry but 1500 is a ridiculous price.
Old 21 June 2010, 19:11   #11
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Reminds me of Tarantino's pee joke in Desperado. The "Modern Amiga" fans get ripped off and are glad about it.
Old 21 June 2010, 21:31   #12
cosmicfrog
The 1 who ribbits

Send a message via MSN to cosmicfrog
I remember when a friend of mine got one of the first A1000`s in the uk that was well over £1000 but this is now the 21 century and we require nay we demand small cheap powerful devices

wheres the slogan amiga for the masses
Old 21 June 2010, 23:04   #13
Jimbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by moijk View Post
What are you smoking? Or where are you buying your stuff? For £1500 I CAN get a hell of a PC.
Old 21 June 2010, 23:45   #14
Amiga1992

HAhaha this is tremendously laughable.
Old 21 June 2010, 23:52   #15
rare_j
Zone Friend

So... what job does it do that a normal PC can't?
When amiga first came out it was an order of magnitude better than the rest.

Still I haven't read what this thing is actually FOR.
Old 21 June 2010, 23:53   #16
Pyromania

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid View Post
So glad this is not A.org. Just got a link to the thread over there...
/me hugs EAB

What's wrong with Amiga.org?
Old 21 June 2010, 23:58   #17
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyromania View Post
What's wrong with Amiga.org?
http://www.amiga.org/forums/showthread.php?t=53319

That.
Old 22 June 2010, 01:01   #18
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

I have to admit, the X1000 a very expensive bit of kit,

I met Trevor and he is nothing short of a delightful person, full of honest drive and passion, I do hope that they can make a good go of it =)

Although an X1000 wont be on my christmas list, the X1000 is certainly interesting and yeah I would like a little play with it.. the dualcore PPC and XCore interest me from a programming standpoint and if they can get an "inline-transparent" Amiga68k emulation (with a Amiga 68kprefs program) then this would give it the compatability it deserves!.

I would suspect with its embedded multicore, multprocessor and transputor proccessing cores this would make a very good rendering engine / farm - time will tell if this is a cost effective solution compared to SGI workstations

For me the weekend was truly was taken with the iMica Icaros AROS build (I wasn't the only one) and I have to admit the A1 and Pegasos systems are a true pleasure to take part with -

Although I will be classic amiga to my core, my sincere thanks too Mickey C and the efforts of ALL the North Tames Amiga and Linc Amiga Groups for sharing these wonderfull machines with this OS4 / 4.1

I can see the appeal of these systems, especially with RunUAE and just double clicking on an Amiga executable and seeing it run in a non-native environment - never get tired of that I can say!

Up untill the weekend I was not interested in the new OS4 running Gen of Amiga, however I must admit its an area I will be keeping a keener interest in as well perhaps building my own iMica Icaros system.... and an XAmiga system.... and convince bloodwych to make a ClasssicWorkbench OS4 and OS4.1..... and try and do a MorphOS classic.....

I think he still accepts lost forum souls and virgin sacrifices as currency =D
Old 22 June 2010, 08:30   #19
Pyromania

If the X1000 sells well we may explore making Aladdin 4D take advantage of the XMOS stuff. Aladdin 4D was originally going to use the Transputer chips way back in the early 1990's.
Old 22 June 2010, 11:03   #20
Arnie
R.I.P Smudge 18-08-16

@Zetro

How much would a iMica Icaros system cost and what is it?.