English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Other

Old 06 June 2018, 21:38   #1
Sim085

Game music with cracking noise.

This questions comes with a little bit of background; I had some trouble with sound on my A1200 which problem looks to have resolved all by itself. That said I still continued to test sound by trying some game music. This is where I noticed something strange.

When trying Colonization I noticed that the first intro music (Bonny Morn) at some points of this there are always some cracking noise. However none of the other music of the game seem to do this. I therefore tried some other speakers but same thing. Wanting to confirm it was not an issue with the A1200 I tried the game on an A500 and same thing happened. I also tried the game on FS-UAE and again in the intro music I can hear such cracking noise but the other music of the game looks to be ok.

Has anyone noticed this? Is it normal? And what causes it?

The strange thing is that I must have played this game hundreds of times and never noticed this until now.
Old 06 June 2018, 21:59   #2
meynaf
son of 68k

Two possibles issues i can see :

It is a detail in the music you never noticed before.
This can happen sometimes ; you listened to the same music a gazillion times and one detail, one day, takes all your attention.
This mod exhibits sample triggering clicks so it might just be this.

The music file got damaged in some way.
Are you hearing small clicks or big hisses ?
Old 06 June 2018, 22:04   #3
Sim085

I hear small clicks. However I have tried loading the game from different sources, using both the installed version on HDD and the original disks of the game. Both produce the same clicks for the first intro song.

At this point number 1 looks to be the case.

What causes such "click" noises?

Quote:
Originally Posted by meynaf View Post
Two possibles issues i can see :

It is a detail in the music you never noticed before.
This can happen sometimes ; you listened to the same music a gazillion times and one detail, one day, takes all your attention.
This mod exhibits sample triggering clicks so it might just be this.

The music file got damaged in some way.
Are you hearing small clicks or big hisses ?

Last edited by Sim085; 06 June 2018 at 22:15.
Old 07 June 2018, 10:06   #4
meynaf
son of 68k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sim085 View Post
What causes such "click" noises?
I don't know the exact theory behind. It seems to happen at the transition between two sounds (or from silence to a sample, or from a sample to silence, sometimes even when looping) when the output level moves abruptly.