FlashFloppy - new firmware for Gotek drives, open source

POST UPDATED November 14 2017:

Latest version:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaffer View Post
New minor release update:

v0.8.8a - Error Reporting, Board Enhancements
https://github.com/keirf/FlashFloppy/wiki/Downloads

- Better error reporting (filesystem, media, power, image handling)
- Optional feature enhancements for Gotek clones
- Third button (select) may be used instead of prev/next for firmware update and factory reset
Wiki: https://github.com/keirf/FlashFloppy/wiki

Original news post:
Thanks to Higgy for pointing this one out to me, it seems we have a new contender in the Gotek firmware land, and this one is open source, which I hope will lead to a lot more improvement over what we have already.

Keir Fraser, not a stranger to the Amiga world, having made stuff like Keirf's Disk Utilities, has released FlashFloppy, a new firmware for STM32F10x based floppy emulators

https://github.com/keirf/FlashFloppy

Seems like it's early days, and I haven't been able to find any more info about it. I am ASSUMING this is compatible with Amiga and Atari ST, also from the existence of a FlashFloppy file selector supporting both those platforms:

https://github.com/keirf/FlashFloppy_File_Selector

It also says there that this is compatible with the HxC loader in other platforms, so perhaps this is more of a universal floppy emu like HxC. Good stuff!

I am glad to see this popping up and hopefully we get a kick ass firmware out of it. After Cortex being abandoned our only hope has been HxC, but it isn't open source.

Hopefully file slots on the selector can finally be connected by filename instead of by physical location on the USB media, so we can start sharing playlists of stuff.

[edit] Confirmed by Keir, it is in his thoughts to allow his Selector to be able to load images by filename and path instead of by cluster. This is great news!

Last edited by Amiga1992; 14 November 2017 at 18:28.
Old 21 July 2017, 16:54   #2
Amiga1992

Can anybody compile this and make binaries to share? I don't have the means but I am willing to test this on my Gotek right away.
Old 21 July 2017, 17:12   #3
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Those are some great news! I had seen this at the facebook group, I'll try to give it a go too, but like you I'd need the binaries to test it
Old 21 July 2017, 17:15   #4
Jeff_HxC2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
compatible with Amiga and Atari ST, also from the existence of a FlashFloppy file selector supporting both those platforms:

https://github.com/keirf/FlashFloppy_File_Selector

It also says there that this is compatible with the HxC loader in other platforms, so perhaps this is more of a universal floppy emu like HxC. Good stuff!
FYI this is a fork of the HxC File selector...

https://github.com/jfdelnero/HXCFE_file_selector
Old 21 July 2017, 18:04   #5
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_HxC2001 View Post
FYI this is a fork of the HxC File selector...
https://github.com/jfdelnero/HXCFE_file_selector
Yes, it says so on the git page.
Keir told me to make sure I use his fork with his FW instead, though, for Amiga and Atari ST at least.

I tried getting the necessary files to compile this on my Raspberry Pi linux, but I failed. I didn't even know if it would work to compile on it, it should, but well, no luck for me. Anybody able to post some binaries?
Old 21 July 2017, 18:44   #6
Higgy

The binary is on the Facebook page. And the best way to program is via male-male USB cable.

I have to look after the toddler, but if I get time and no one else has posted it I will post up the info and files.
Old 21 July 2017, 18:51   #7
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgy View Post
The binary is on the Facebook page.
A lot of us don't really do Facebook, would be great to have binaries available on the git repositories, but in the meantime, let's have them here.

I had to guess which group it was, went and grabbed the binaries posted by Keir, and now I attach them here for everyone.

Hopefully I can test this on the weekend!

[edit] I read a few reports of this firmware having issues on accelerated Amigas, but I cannot confirm. Will have to test.
Attached Files
File Type: zip flashfloppy_fw.zip (468.6 KB, 927 views)

Last edited by Amiga1992; 21 July 2017 at 19:02.
Old 21 July 2017, 20:11   #8
Neil79
Autistic 'n IRN!

First to feature!

http://www.indieretronews.com/2017/0...se-of-new.html

Last edited by Neil79; 21 July 2017 at 20:23.
Old 21 July 2017, 20:16   #9
Sinphaltimus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
A lot of us don't really do Facebook, would be great to have binaries available on the git repositories, but in the meantime, let's have them here.

I had to guess which group it was, went and grabbed the binaries posted by Keir, and now I attach them here for everyone.

Hopefully I can test this on the weekend!

[edit] I read a few reports of this firmware having issues on accelerated Amigas, but I cannot confirm. Will have to test.

Looking forward to your review!
Old 21 July 2017, 21:11   #10
Amiga1992

By the way as I said above, Keir himself told me to stick to HIS Selector image to use with his firmware, instead of using the default HxC ones, for Amiga and Atari ST. Spo not sure if the firmware is currently fully compatible with Amiga and Atari ST selectors.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keir
I supply my own build of the amiga selector so please use that. Other platforms use the hxc one.
I'll flash later today if I find a moment, and report. I just don't have an Amiga currently "gutted open" to do tests with, I had the A500 like that for months and I am happy now that I cleaned the mess

Last edited by Amiga1992; 21 July 2017 at 23:31.
Old 21 July 2017, 21:32   #11
Higgy

I have now flashed this new firmware over my Cortex firmware. I used the USB-USB method, which is really quick and easy.

USB-USB Installation software is here: https://mega.nz/#!rkoVCYqS!bPACrEEUB...bK-XoO7UR4gyjI

Flashing GOTEK via USB: [ Show youtube player ]

Now testing on my A500 with 512MB upgrade.

Last edited by Higgy; 21 July 2017 at 21:58.
Old 21 July 2017, 21:54   #12
Sinphaltimus

The MEGA link isn't a link. - Thanks for fixing - this is very interesting - I do have a TTL device but would like to try this direct USB to USB.

Last edited by Sinphaltimus; 21 July 2017 at 22:03.
Old 21 July 2017, 21:57   #13
Higgy

^ Fixed Mega link. It worked with Crazy Cars, Giana Sisters, Batman the Movie & Cannon Fodder. Got to do something else so sorry I can't help further tonight. The .HEX in the FlashFloppy.ZIP needs to be converted into a .DFU but the included software in the Installation Software will do this. I had to manually browse to the drivers and install them after the Installation program was installed. Maybe because my Gotek already had Herve's GOTEK firmware on, and not the normal GOTEK. USB stick only needs game ADF's + AUTOBOOT.HFE & HXCSDFE.CFG No need to convert .ADF's. And they can be in folders.

Last edited by Higgy; 21 July 2017 at 22:02.
Old 22 July 2017, 08:47   #14
Keir

Hey guys, There is a binary link here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B6...URfNGkybkVCUFE

This contains the HEX file to flash to your Gotek, and AUTOBOOT.HFE for Amiga for your USB stick, and a simple HXCSDFE.CFG.

You should use my build of AUTOBOOT.HFE on Amiga (as pointed out it is actually just a patched HxC selector). The HxC selector should work unmodified on other platforms but I haven't tested that myself.

Also worth saying this is early days. I've released it as 0.1alpha for a reason, until yesterday it had only had me mucking with it in limited test scenarios. It's undoubtedly got a suite of bugs in addition to the known limitations: it does not play nicely with other drives yet, only use it as sole drive DF0 please.

I'm interested on feedback on bugs and desired features, and how people like to configure their USB sticks. For example I'm not sure whether HxC-config compatibility was the best use of my time, it seems a lot of people would like to be able to configure packs/sets of games in a plain text config file? Perhaps with a different style of host management software based around that? With the basic firmware almost done now there is a lot of opportunity for experimentation here. The project is open and I'm happy to receive pull requests for features/fixes in the firmware, and also (perhaps even more) assistance on new host software as and when.

Cheers!

Finally, I hope to get some nice space for hosting the downloads, rather than providing cryptic Google Drive links. Perhaps I will look into Github Releases, or get hosted on one of the Amiga websites.
Old 22 July 2017, 09:30   #15
alpine9000

Great work!!

For me, being able to configure a drive with a simple text file or something would be great.

You can use GitHub pages to host a website and binaries. That's what I used for blockyskies.com
Old 22 July 2017, 19:57   #16
xArtx

The way to punish it would be to take an image of random files,
and move, and rewrite them, rather than play games,
or even Xcopy disks with expected tracks.
Regardless, it's open source. Within a year, there won't be any other floppy emulator.
Old 22 July 2017, 20:26   #17
danko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgy View Post
I have now flashed this new firmware over my Cortex firmware. I used the USB-USB method, which is really quick and easy.

USB-USB Installation software is here: https://mega.nz/#!rkoVCYqS!bPACrEEUB...bK-XoO7UR4gyjI

Flashing GOTEK via USB: [ Show youtube player ]

Now testing on my A500 with 512MB upgrade.
Hi,this is FT232RL FTDI USB? for flashing gotek?
Old 22 July 2017, 21:24   #18
Keir

Quote:
Originally Posted by xArtx View Post
The way to punish it would be to take an image of random files,
and move, and rewrite them, rather than play games,
or even Xcopy disks with expected tracks.
Regardless, it's open source. Within a year, there won't be any other floppy emulator.
I don't want to push this alpha version too hard, it definitely has issues, but someone did hit it hard with some image copying, formatting, defragging, in workbench and it stood up far better than the Cortex firmware. I was pleasantly surprised to hear it.
Old 22 July 2017, 21:56   #19
Sinphaltimus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaffer View Post
I don't want to push this alpha version too hard, it definitely has issues, but someone did hit it hard with some image copying, formatting, defragging, in workbench and it stood up far better than the Cortex firmware. I was pleasantly surprised to hear it.

Ditto.
Old 23 July 2017, 00:01   #20
Jeff_HxC2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by xArtx View Post
On the the contrary, there will have more floppy emulators .