English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 29 December 2011, 18:32   #1
Dreedo

3D HoL

Ok well, This is a very basic program I've come up with.

At the moment it has virtually no content to speak of. But i will update regularly with content, so it might be worth running the 'updater.exe' every now and then to see if i have updated it. All you can do at the moment is walk into the games and view their HoL page.

Planned Features:

- Will allow you to instantly go to any HoL page for any Amiga game shown in the Library. Planning to have several hundred games in the Library.

- Hopefully will add the ability to boot up Amiga games from the Library. Probably by booting up some form of emulation program.

The Library includes an updater program, which 'should' in theory, let you update the Library easily, whenever i release an update. I haven't been able to fully test it, so when I update it I'll post here and await your feedback, hopefully.

Sorry this release is so empty, it's more of a prototype, updates should be released regularly.

Download:http://www.weebly.com/uploads/7/8/1/5/7815976/hol.rar

Controls:

W - Walk Forward

S - Walk Backward

Mouse - Look Around

ESC - Quit

Please report any bugs to me, even though theres virtually no visible content yet, theres quite a bit going on.

Bugs:

BUG: Updater will ask 'Do you want to update to 1.00'.

THEORY: The updater does not recognize numbers past 2 decimal points, hence any number from 1.000 to 1.004 will be viewed as 1.00, so when we hit 1.005, the updater will most likely say 'Do you want to upgrade to 1.01'.

There are no plans to fix this bug, more likely that as the program progresses, i will move from doing 1.00# to doing 1.0#.

Last edited by Dreedo; 30 December 2011 at 19:29.
Old 29 December 2011, 22:23   #2
lilalurl
Global Moderator

Send a message via ICQ to lilalurl
And Alt+F4 to quit.

Seems to work fine.

Two things:
1) The mouse pointer is bound to the window boundaries, even after alt-tabbing. In other words, if I switch to another application or the desktop, I cannot move the mouse cursor somewhere else than the area used by the 3D HoL.

2) People with non-QWERTY keyboard layouts (AZERTY like me or DVORAK I suppose) won't be able to navigate correctly. Later you should let people have the possibility to redefine the keys or find another way to read the key input.
Old 29 December 2011, 22:31   #3
Dreedo

ESC also quits.

In the updated version the mouse cursor is actually turned off while the window is active. Even when the window is inactive however, it will probably still be restricted. I don't believe it's possible to fix this.

I will be adding arrow keys to the program, and i would take requests on any key combinations people would prefer.

I still have yet to find a file hosting service that will work for updates, most of them have URL's that will change or are temporary, so they will go inactive after a few minutes. It would have to be a direct link, such as the one in the OP, in order to work.

Obviously FileDen will not work as a suitable server to host updates, as the updater program searches for a specific URL, and the URL of the updated EXE will change with each upload using FileDen. As you can see, it has '12' and '29' in its URL, denoting 29th of December, thus making it useless for an updater program which has a fixed URL. I would have to update the updater everytime in order to make that work, which sort of defeats the point. I tried hosting it on my Amiga-Zone website, but it appears my host for that website does not allow files as big as the program. (4MB or so)

Thanks for the feedback though.

EDIT: Just ran a succesful test on updating it, it should technically be finished now. I will upload the new version shortly.

EDIT#2: New version posted in the OP, please download that one, the updater.exe should work now, I will post when i release an update, i would love to hear from you guys if you manage to succesfully update.

Last edited by Dreedo; 29 December 2011 at 22:52.
Old 30 December 2011, 17:10   #4
lilalurl
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreedo View Post
ESC also quits.
Too obvious, so I did not think about it

Nothing important report except:
- I think the first prompt when updating has the wrong version mentioned (1.000) for the possible update. Same thing for when you start the application itself.
- I think you can't believe it actually worked
- Running the updater a 2nd correctly reported that I was running the most up-to-date version
Old 30 December 2011, 17:43   #5
Dreedo

Did you re-download the version in the OP?

There are a few bugs, and the message saying 'believe' was removed in the latest version? So i don't know why it says that, it should just say 'Update Completed', or words to that effect. The update engine wasn't entirely written by me, so there are a couple of typos, but i can't be bothered making people re-download the updater. The updating program can't be updated by the updater, because a program can't actually update itself using this system, hence why the Game.exe cannot update itself and therefore you need to use Updater.exe.
Old 30 December 2011, 17:58   #6
lilalurl
Global Moderator

Hmmm, I used the updater from the version I had downloaded yesterday. Not sure if this was your first version or not (check from my post time).

Yes, I got an "update complete" message box.
Old 30 December 2011, 18:02   #7
Dreedo

I released 2 versions yesterday xD.

The FileDen one was old, the Weebly one is new. Not that you could possibly tell, so I don't know why I'm telling you this.

Might release an update tonight to test it with you guys.

UPDATE RELEASED:

- Added all 10 out of 10 games, plus 4 other games.

- Up and Down arrow keys can now be used to move, alongside W and S.

- You now move faster, and stopping is almost instantaneous.

Now if all goes well, it should update to 1.002...

I just tested the updater, and amazingly it worked for me.

Last edited by Dreedo; 30 December 2011 at 19:30.