English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Off Topic > OT - General

Old 05 March 2020, 09:05   #1
LongLifeA1200

I was bulk buying toilet paper BEFORE it was cool

This sucks. No one looked twice or even cared when I did this. It's more convenient for me to buy it this way. The stuff is very bulky and doesn't spoil so I restock the whole shelf once in a while so it doesn't (clumsily) interfere with regular grocery shopping. Now I'll probably get weird looks next time I routine bulk buy.

Don't know why this has suddenly become the must-buy commodity for 2020. Coronavirus (COVID-19) doesn't cause diarrhea. The jokes/memes are merciless. They're worth a look.

Japan, Hong Kong (which included armed robbery of the stuff), Seattle, the entire continent of Australia, New Zealand... seems people are really worried they'll be under lock down for some time. It must be frustrating for those that genuinely need it very soon. I'm sure their habits will change after this, such as; folding a sheet 8 times before disposing of it.
Old 05 March 2020, 09:17   #2
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

People are building stockpiles and so now there is a huge competition battle going on. Nothing to be done about that. Good tip though, I should check my own stockpile...
Old 05 March 2020, 10:16   #3
SquawkBox
Speedbump gimme goosebump

Send a message via ICQ to SquawkBox
Us French have noticed a similar fear of depletion of all pasta products (dry, fresh, frozen or canned) and of all rice products (dry or cooked). Also, hospitals from both Paris and Marseille were robbed of thousands of breathing masks and gallons of that worthless overpriced alcoholic disinfectant gel junk, oh my ! Speaking for myself, I am used to spend time at my place during daytime, so I am cool binding my time with games, books, browsing EAB and other forum's until the spending binge from fellow citizens wears off.
Old 05 March 2020, 10:23   #4
sparhawk

Here in germany it's also happening in some places. My daughters work in a supermarket and they say that poeple also stock up on all kind of things. Funnily, the authorities say you should wash your hands often, but nobody buys more soap or such. Only food and of course masks.
Old 05 March 2020, 10:34   #5
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Really? Here the hand soap is pretty hard to get now...
Old 06 March 2020, 17:08   #6
SquawkBox

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
Here the hand soap is pretty hard to get now...
Since you have a knack for cooking and baking food, I guess it wouldn't be too hard to experiment with making your first bars of handmade soap. Apparently, it all comes down to using lye and oils in various proportions :

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 06 March 2020, 18:48   #7
Zak
Zap´em

It's really a problem for me that bulk buying. What should I use instead of toilet paper to get my butt clean now? What should I eat now? No pasta or rice available.

And I don't understand that bulk buying, you can't stay away from work a few months, can you? So what's the catch when you go to work anyway?

And I noticed that even non bulk buyers are bulk buying now, because when there is accidentally a load of pasta they bulk buy because you never know when you have the chance again.
Old 06 March 2020, 19:01   #8
Anubis
Na'vi Gamer

Since I moved to states I was shopping @ Sam's Club and in past 10 years mostly @ Costco, and everything you buy comes in bulk anyway.

Someone told my wife that they sold a lot of stuff, but when she went shopping last Sunday, everything we usually buy was there. No issues there, so far.

I know some people, with previous experience from war, getting basic cooking stuff in large quantities.
Old 06 March 2020, 20:04   #9
sparhawk

My wife came back today from shopping and told me that there is now no flour anymore in our local supermarket...
Old 06 March 2020, 20:12   #10
Retro1234
Boo

Try and buy Toilet paper or hand sanitizer - all sold out evreywhere.
Old 09 March 2020, 01:24   #11
SquawkBox

In this situation, I would use instead paper towels (try your local office supplies store) which I would throw in small biodegradable plastic bag. Wrap up each bag when done and dispose of these bags in a larger bin bag.
Old 09 March 2020, 04:14   #12
Hewitson

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquawkBox View Post
In this situation, I would use instead paper towels (try your local office supplies store) which I would throw in small biodegradable plastic bag. Wrap up each bag when done and dispose of these bags in a larger bin bag.
If you cut the paper towel roll in half it would probably fit in a toilet paper dispenser.
Old 09 March 2020, 09:55   #13
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Since you have a knack for cooking and baking food, I guess it wouldn't be too hard to experiment with making your first bars of handmade soap. Apparently, it all comes down to using lye and oils in various proportions :

[ Show youtube player ]
Yes, things I have lying in my pantry I'll do a Fight Club and go to a liposuction facility to render fat.
Old 09 March 2020, 12:05   #14
Anubis
Na'vi Gamer

Wife was shopping this weekend and toilet paper was still available in big pack (42 pcs iirc), but there was big sign, only 1 per household. Just give it a little time, I am sure they will find a way to deliver more...

Don't panic, play some fun games...
Old 09 March 2020, 12:09   #15
SquawkBox

In Korea, they generally don't dispose of toilet paper in toilet siphons, if I am not mistaken. For the matter, less absorbent paper towels would fit better than the über absorbent kind. Also, washing your hands with soap (or just rinsing them thoroughly with tap water) might just be as effective (and certainly more cost-effective) as using alcoholic disinfectant gel, at least in my book.

Last edited by SquawkBox; 09 March 2020 at 13:27.
Old 09 March 2020, 20:25   #16
Zak
Zap´em

Last week, the shops around here were also out of paper towels or paper tissues. Luckily, I got some toilet paper today. And also pasta. I am also pleased that the shops didn't raise prices although they certainly could with this demand.
Old 10 March 2020, 04:15   #17
LongLifeA1200

It's still going...
Although I've noticed that there are some brands people won't touch. Guess they're not that desperate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zak View Post
Last week, the shops around here were also out of paper towels or paper tissues.
And now they've moved onto serviettes!

Quote:
Us French have noticed a similar fear of depletion of all pasta products (dry, fresh, frozen or canned).
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparhawk View Post
My wife came back today from shopping and told me that there is now no flour anymore in our local supermarket.
All the flour and eggs being bought must be for making MORE pasta.

Menu for the next several months:
Monday: Pasta
Tuesday: Pasta
Saturday: Pasta

Batteries had a uptake in sales.

Among other items: Bleach! That one made me laugh.
Old 10 March 2020, 10:11   #18
Anubis
Na'vi Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zak View Post
Last week, the shops around here were also out of paper towels or paper tissues. Luckily, I got some toilet paper today. And also pasta. I am also pleased that the shops didn't raise prices although they certainly could with this demand.
Price gauging would just hurt overall economy and lead to recession, which we are on way anyhow...
Old 10 March 2020, 10:16   #19
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongLifeA1200 View Post
Menu for the next several months:
Monday: Pasta
Tuesday: Pasta
Saturday: Pasta
Sunday: diabetes shots.
Old 10 March 2020, 18:00   #20
SquawkBox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
Price gauging would to recession
I don't think this will happen anytime soon friend, lessons from 2008 have been learned. See, they'd rather save the last Bank standing than the entire human race. On a more philosophical ground, my interpretation is that the incoming epidemiological situation implies that Mother Earth is tired with us lot.