English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 10 March 2020, 08:40   #61
Ian
Global Moderator

Classic tale of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.
Old 10 March 2020, 08:44   #62
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmimmfn View Post
Thanks all for the heads up, avoiding Amikit for now until they give a clear and acceptable response( not saying it will happen and if not just avoiding them indefinitely if so)

Amikit =/= AmigaKit.
Old 10 March 2020, 10:29   #63
roondar

Quote:
Originally Posted by grond View Post
You don't need to have a product in order to register a trademark. Usually you register your trademark before you finished developing a product. There are even trademark designers who invent kewl names, register them and then sell their trademarks to any interested party. For these reasons trademark law grants a five year period of non-use of the trademark before it can become void. For the same reasons anyone can register "A1200" as a trademark. Most legislations don't even have their patent offices check for identical or similar trademarks and leave it up to the conflicting market participants to sort out their problems. In any case, if a trademark is unused for five years, it can be nullified and somebody else can register it. Unlike patents and designs, trademarks need not be new in order to be registered.
Yes, exactly. It puzzles me it works like this because it seems to me this makes abuse of the system (which is what I'd personally call what is happening here) very easy to do.
Quote:
Why anyone would want a trademark "A1200" is a different topic...
Simple, if you have the trademark you can mess with the competition, such as it is.
Old 10 March 2020, 13:13   #64
utri007
mä vaan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriz View Post
What is there to misunderstand ?
It is not.

This is naive and childish way to think about. -- Z > Amigakit is BAD because they bought amigapassion.com domain, when amigapassion.co.uk was already reserved.

So what, thinks like that happen. This is like we would discus who is quilty to divorce. Adults go on and childrens start to cry out.

@DamienD with all respect.
Old 10 March 2020, 13:29   #65
Jope
-

Heh, way to cut corners in your assessment of the situation. No, it's not similar to the discussion about who is guilty when a divorce happens.

Amigakit and Amigapassion had no relationship, but instead Amigakit decides to register a domain similar to their competition and implements a redirect to their own web page, depriving the competition of potential customers.

So business is war, eh? What's your business again? Can I come and poach your customers by advertising in your name with my contact details? Will you cry or will you be an adult if that happens?
Old 10 March 2020, 14:36   #66
utri007
mä vaan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jope View Post
Can I come and poach your customers by advertising in your name with my contact details? Will you cry or will you be an adult if that happens?
Happy to me, I only one in the world with my name.

Systems is build that way, there can be very similar names and other things than name would make difference. They didn't forward it to "similar" web site, than amigapassion.co.uk, that would be illegal no doubt.
Old 10 March 2020, 14:37   #67
grond

Quote:
Originally Posted by roondar View Post
Yes, exactly. It puzzles me it works like this because it seems to me this makes abuse of the system (which is what I'd personally call what is happening here) very easy to do.
If there is any abuse, there is also a legal remedy against it. The trademark system seems quite reasonable to me but I'm only a professional in the field...
Old 10 March 2020, 14:44   #68
roondar

Quote:
Originally Posted by grond View Post
If there is any abuse, there is also a legal remedy against it. The trademark system seems quite reasonable to me but I'm only a professional in the field...
One man's idea of a system which can be abused is another's idea of reasonable system. That's just the way it is sometimes
Old 10 March 2020, 19:37   #69
adrdesign

Up, for the better. This thread can't be ignored.
Old 10 March 2020, 20:00   #70
CFou!

In France, there is an expression which translates word for word by:
Do not shoot the ambulance.

I admit that I do not appreciate public lynchings ...
Old 10 March 2020, 21:51   #71
IanP

I remember thinking at the time it was first reported that AmigaKit had registered A1200 that it was a shady move. I think I suspected at that time that they were targeting individual Computers proposed Amiga Reloaded project as part of the ongoing battle over the Amiga IP but that it could also have wider implications for any projects involving the A1200. Their rebadging of the A1200.net cases is a dick move that the community shouldn't allow them to get away with. Likewise squatting on a domain name identical to a competitor in all but top level domain is a very low move.

From the frequent customer complaints I see about them I think AmigaKit need to spend more time serving their customers and less time screwing with competitors and suppliers and trying to grab trademarks, domains and any other stuff they have no moral right to.
Old 10 March 2020, 22:38   #72
jotd
This cat is no more

seems that someone is reading this forum: paypal message today:

Leaman Computing Ltd vous a envoyé 30,58 EUR.
Remarque de Leaman Computing Ltd :

quote Part Refund -1x SUM CD32 Reason: Stock Error

Coïncidence? I don't think so. But it's looking better already. Still down by 40 euros out of the 70 I paid.

I still don't have the other stuff I ordered but maybe they shipped it now (one can hope). I'm going to delete my previous rants/messages in this thread anyway, give them a few days (weeks?) to send the rest.

Too bad as the CD32 keyboard adapter was the reason why I was ordering parts...
Old 10 March 2020, 22:46   #73
nikosidis

They respond to me when I sent mail and order is sent now. Took awhile and they where sorry, been on vacation they say.
Old 10 March 2020, 23:40   #74
Gordon
Settler

Welcome back AmigaKit!
Old 11 March 2020, 00:34   #75
DDNI
Targ Explorer

Send a message via ICQ to DDNI Send a message via MSN to DDNI
Time to avoid Amigakit?
No. Time to grow up and engage in adult to adult conversations with companies that you choose to trade with.
Joining the blood in the water feeding frenzy of forum posts is pointless and counter productive.
What sort of company would engage with such a toxic thread? Answer - none.

What is absent from this thread? The countless happy Amigakit customers who have been well served by them for years.

Are things perfect? No.
Do threads like this help? No.
Will invested Amiga companies suffer? Yes.

EAB mods. Get a grip of this. Don’t let a community forum become a source of FUD and hate.

Yes, I’m just in from the pub.
Old 11 March 2020, 02:43   #76
-Acid-

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDNI View Post
Time to avoid Amigakit? No.

What is absent from this thread? The countless happy Amigakit customers who have been well served by them for years.
Reputations.... years to build, seconds to destroy. They are doing it to themselves.
Old 11 March 2020, 03:09   #77
sean_sk
Gimmemore Commodore

Quote:
Do threads like this help? No.
Nonsense!!
Threads like this scare companies into pulling their socks up and getting their acts together.
There are websites everywhere designed to be able to provide customers the opportunity to leave public comments and reviews regarding their customer service experiences with service providers.

Last edited by sean_sk; 11 March 2020 at 05:49.
Old 11 March 2020, 03:37   #78
Amiga4000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
Welcome back AmigaKit!
Jesus! How Apropos!
Old 11 March 2020, 04:48   #79
Amiga4000

Cool

Quote:
Yes, I’m just in from the pub.
Heh, heh....... me too!
Old 11 March 2020, 07:57   #80
E-Penguin
Banana

Quote:
The countless happy Amigakit customers who have been well served by them for years.
I've never had a problem with the service or the responsiveness of AmigaKit. Satisfied customer here.

But piggybacking on the good will that AmigaPassion has built up for himself is a low blow.