English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 18 December 2020, 23:15   #1
matt64

Question Ruined my A1200 installing an Indivision Mk3

After installing my Indivision Mk3 my Amiga is now missing green on the display output and my floppy drive won't boot / read disks. In workbench inserting a floppy just shows DF0: Unreadable. I never got any output on my indivision either. I'm guessing I killed Lisa and the CIA U7 somehow.

I was as careful as I could possibly be taking everything apart and putting the indivision in. All I can guess is that maybe one of the sockets must not have been seated quit right and shorted some pins.

Is there anything I can check or any advise you may have before I try to track down a replacement lisa or CIA and just replace the chips?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 19 December 2020, 02:11   #2
matt64

Figured out that the video problem was the small SMD resistor next to Lisa, the pressure of snapping the indivision in place had cracked it. I still don't know what's wrong with the floppy drive. I did some swapping and my A500 drive works fine in my A1200 so luckily it seems that no chips were damaged on the board.

That being said what would cause the motor to just quit spinning? I disassembled the drive but didn't see anything obvious, jumpers were set ok.
Old 21 December 2020, 00:56   #3
B2k_ad

Did you chek the power connector pins on the drive?
Over the Time I had some that broke free of their solder pads.
May be the timing was just right for this to happen.
And the other thing i have problems with form time to time, are
the micro switches for the disk recognition.
They tend to get flaky,
Old 28 December 2020, 06:53   #4
matt64

Checked continuity of the switches, that checked out ok. Cleaned them with deoxit and reflowed them for good measure but no change. Reflowed the power connector as well. Also changed the 10uF caps on the drive and reflowed the flat flex cable between the boards with no luck.

The heads move and the drive tries to read, but the motor doesn't even try to spin even with a push.
Old 28 December 2020, 07:28   #5
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Perfect time to fit a Gotek?
Old 28 December 2020, 15:02   #6
lmimmfn

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt64 View Post
Figured out that the video problem was the small SMD resistor next to Lisa, the pressure of snapping the indivision in place had cracked it. I still don't know what's wrong with the floppy drive. I did some swapping and my A500 drive works fine in my A1200 so luckily it seems that no chips were damaged on the board.

That being said what would cause the motor to just quit spinning? I disassembled the drive but didn't see anything obvious, jumpers were set ok.
I busted my A1200 a few months ago refitting an indivision mk2. I have the same black screen problem, i must check that resistor you mentioned.
Old 28 December 2020, 20:42   #7
matt64

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
Perfect time to fit a Gotek?
I thought about that, but I like the physicality of floppy disks, changing them, hearing them make noise. Plus it keeps the appearance as authentic as possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmimmfn View Post
I busted my A1200 a few months ago refitting an indivision mk2. I have the same black screen problem, i must check that resistor you mentioned.
I don't feel so bad knowing that I'm not the only one. Those sockets snap on so tight.
Old 29 December 2020, 01:51   #8
apex

Buy a D520, no need to open the Amiga anymore:

https://d520-converter.de
Old 02 January 2021, 22:42   #9
lmimmfn

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt64 View Post
I don't feel so bad knowing that I'm not the only one. Those sockets snap on so tight.
Unfortunately reading online its a common problem for any devices which require a direct mount.
Personally i feel awful busting my original A1200 so will be avoiding these solutions in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by apex View Post
Buy a D520, no need to open the Amiga anymore:

https://d520-converter.de
I bought an OSSC as ive retro consoles also. The d520 is a nice bit of kit but jez thats insanely expensive for what it does.