English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 10 August 2020, 02:45   #1
outlawal2

RESOLVED: Cannot get ANY a3000 Roms to work

Hello! I am trying to use WINUAE 4.4 to build a 3.1.4 image onto an SD card and while the A1200 works perfectly, I cannot get any of my 3000 ROMs to work at all. I have multiple ROMS from Amiga Forever along with the ROMs provided by Hyperion with their 3.1.4 disks.

Also, it does not matter where I put my ROMs WINUAE never sees them when I scan for ROMS. With the A1200 I was able to select the ROM specifically and it works, but no such luck with the A3000.

Please advise.

(Win10 with WINUAE 4.4.0 64-Bit version)

Last edited by outlawal2; 11 August 2020 at 01:03. Reason: Resolved
Old 10 August 2020, 10:13   #2
DamienD
Banned

Not that I've ever used them, but in my WinUAE setup I have these and they are detected successfully:

... KS ROM v1.3 (A3000)(SK) rev 34.5 (256k).rom
... KS ROM v1.4 (A3000) rev 36.16 (512k).rom
... KS ROM v2.04 (A3000) rev 37.175 (512k).rom
... KS ROM v3.1 (A3000) rev 40.68 (512k).rom

Have you set the ROM path correctly under "Paths"?

Are you using "WinUAE default (User directory)" or "WinUAE default (EXE directory)"?
Old 10 August 2020, 21:21   #3
outlawal2

Thanks for the reply...
I have the same ROMS as well as 3.1.4 ROMS from Hyperion and all of them have worked in the past on another WIN10 PC with an older version of WINUAE on it.

I have copied all of the roms into the folder ROMS HERE:
C:\Users\Public\Documents\Amiga Files\WinUAE\ROMS

I have also tried copying up the structure a bit to here:
C:\Users\Public\Documents\Amiga Files\WinUAE\

Still will not work with any of the 3000 ROMS and yet the A1200 ROMs seem to work fine.
And as stated, I had no issues on a different WIN10 PC using an earlier version so pretty confused with this issue

And yes I did specify the ROMs in the program correctly as remember, this seems to work fine with a1200 ROMs. WTF?
Old 10 August 2020, 21:37   #4
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

What do you mean "not working"? ("does not work" = no one knows what you mean). Yellow screen? Black screen? "H3" or similar in window bottom border indicators? A3000 ROM hardware requirements are much more strict than A1200 ROMs which runs almost on any config, as long as CPU is 68020+.

ROM scanner not detecting: Perhaps you have ROMs in multiple locations? Check Paths panel ROM path.

Many supposedly A3000 ROMs aren't real A3000 physical ROM dumps but usually they are A3000 SuperKickstart disk hacks.
Old 10 August 2020, 22:11   #5
outlawal2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
What do you mean "not working"? ("does not work" = no one knows what you mean). Yellow screen? Black screen? "H3" or similar in window bottom border indicators? A3000 ROM hardware requirements are much more strict than A1200 ROMs which runs almost on any config, as long as CPU is 68020+.

ROM scanner not detecting: Perhaps you have ROMs in multiple locations? Check Paths panel ROM path.

Many supposedly A3000 ROMs aren't real A3000 physical ROM dumps but usually they are A3000 SuperKickstart disk hacks.

As stated, these same ROMS work on a previous version of WINUAE so they are not hacks. As also stated they are placed in the correct folder called ROMs. As for "Not working" I mean they are not working as in they do absolutely nothing. If I remove the floppy disk from the floppy drive I should see the 3.1.4 screen with the boing ball but I do not even see that. Also, since this is 3.1.4 this is not a superkickstart issue. And as stated before I was able to get them to work on a previous version of WINUAE so all of the questions you just asked would have meant that they wouldn't have worked on the previous one either, correct? And since I have had it work on a previous version then it is safe to presume that I know where the ROMS should go on a working system again correct? So why the nasty response to a legitimate question? I was ablke to get things working properly with multiple a1200 ROMs so I must be doing something right. And did you actually read what I said? I gave you the exact path for the ROMs.
Old 10 August 2020, 22:14   #6
Saghalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
What do you mean "not working"? ("does not work" = no one knows what you mean). Yellow screen? Black screen? "H3"
I get the Yellow Screen. Using Cloanto ROMS and Hyperion ROMS.
Old 10 August 2020, 22:19   #7
Pixelfill

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlawal2 View Post
As stated, these same ROMS work on a previous version of WINUAE so they are not hacks. As also stated they are placed in the correct folder called ROMs. As for "Not working" I mean they are not working as in they do absolutely nothing. If I remove the floppy disk from the floppy drive I should see the 3.1.4 screen with the boing ball but I do not even see that. Also, since this is 3.1.4 this is not a superkickstart issue. And as stated before I was able to get them to work on a previous version of WINUAE so all of the questions you just asked would have meant that they wouldn't have worked on the previous one either, correct? And since I have had it work on a previous version then it is safe to presume that I know where the ROMS should go on a working system again correct? So why the nasty response to a legitimate question? I was ablke to get things working properly with multiple a1200 ROMs so I must be doing something right. And did you actually read what I said? I gave you the exact path for the ROMs.
hey Al,

I'm sorry I can't help you with your specific issue, but I can say that Toni is best placed to assist - as the author of WinUAE.

Note that Toni's profile shows their location as Finland, so perhaps you could come to the conclusion that English is not their native tongue. Please don't b so aggressive when Toni is only trying to get specific fault information in order to assist further.

Are you sure the rest of the A3000 config accurately represents the A3000 hardware?
Old 10 August 2020, 22:21   #8
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
And did you actually read what I said? I gave you the exact path for the ROMs.
Easy tiger; no need to be rude.

You do know Toni is WinUAE's author; and trying to help you in his own valuable free time?

Anyway, what happens when you run a ROM Scan? Do these show up like so?

Here's a simple thing for you try:
  • Download the WinUAE [zip-archive (32-bit)].
  • Extract to say "C:\Temp\WinUAE".
  • Put only your A3000 ROMs into a directory "C:\Temp\WinUAE\ROMs".
  • Start WinUAE from "C:\Temp\WinUAE".
  • Select "Paths", enter ".\ROMs" for the "System ROMs".
  • Select "WinUAE default (EXE directory)" and now do a "Rescan ROMs".
Are they detected successfully?
Old 10 August 2020, 22:24   #9
outlawal2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixelfill View Post
hey Al,

I'm sorry I can't help you with your specific issue, but I can say that Toni is best placed to assist - as the author of WinUAE.

Note that Toni's profile shows their location as Finland, so perhaps you could come to the conclusion that English is not their native tongue. Please don't b so aggressive when Toni is only trying to get specific fault information in order to assist further.

Are you sure the rest of the A3000 config accurately represents the A3000 hardware?

Ok english not the first language is a fair statement so I will back off a bit, thanks for pointing that out. Anyway, I think the rest is correct, man I have pulled my hair out for 2 nights trying to get this to work so I have tried all kinds of combinations. I am aware that you need a 68030 so I always try that, and the correct ROM is selected along with a matching 3.1.4 install disk, but it never gets that far. I mean I should at least get the hyperion Boing Ball asking to insert a disk and I can't even see that. And it seems to be just the 3000 roms giving me this issue. (And I only really care about the 1200 and 3000 Roms as those are the machines I own so I don't do much of anything with any other config.)
Old 10 August 2020, 22:27   #10
outlawal2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
Easy tiger; no need to be rude.

You do know Toni is WinUAE's author; and trying to help you in his own valuable free time?

Anyway, what happens when you run a ROM Scan? Do these show up like so?

Here's a simple thing for you try:
  • Download the WinUAE [zip-archive (32-bit)].
  • Extract to say "C:\Temp\WinUAE".
  • Put only your A3000 ROMs into a directory "C:\Temp\WinUAE\ROMs".
  • Start WinUAE from "C:\Temp\WinUAE".
  • Select "Paths", enter ".\ROMs" for the "System Roms".
  • Select "WinUAE default (EXE directory)" and now do a "Rescan ROMs".
Are they detected successfully?

Currently ROM scan does not see any of my ROMs no matter where I put them. I was able to get the a1200 to work but specifically selecting the correct Rom but the 3000 no dice. And for the record this is the 64 bit version so I will try your suggestion RE: the 32 bit version and see what happens..

Thank you!
Old 10 August 2020, 22:29   #11
Pixelfill

I've just tried a quick configuration
changing through the following settings from non-working to working - in the following order
Quickstart A3000
Config 3.1 ROM, 2MB Chip + 8MB Fast

CPU 68030
ROM KS 3.1 (A3000) rev 40.68 (512k)
MMU
512KB Chip
Z2 Fast 1MB
Chipset Full ECS
Chipset Extra A3000 <--- without this it doesn't work so I suspect this (once you've overcome your ROM location issue

gets me to a working ROM screen

Last edited by Pixelfill; 10 August 2020 at 22:42. Reason: Edit update to show what makes a difference
Old 10 August 2020, 22:30   #12
Pixelfill

My Roms are in C:\WinUAE\ROMS with the System Roms set to .\ROMs\
Old 10 August 2020, 22:34   #13
DamienD
Banned

@Pixelfill; if outlawal2 isn't getting "A3000" listed like my screenshot below then there's something wrong:

Old 10 August 2020, 22:43   #14
Pixelfill

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
@Pixelfill; if outlawal2 isn't getting "A3000" listed like my screenshot below then there's something wrong:

@DD yeah, I saw that after I'd posted the result of my checks, though he did say he's loaded a ROM manually, would that work in any other location?
Old 10 August 2020, 22:48   #15
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
@DD yeah, I saw that after I'd posted the result of my checks, though he did say he's loaded a ROM manually, would that work in any other location?
Yes, you could point to them manually (make sure of the correct path / name in a configuration file)... but if they are not detected from a "Rescan ROMs" then as mentioned, there's probably something wrong.
Old 10 August 2020, 22:49   #16
Pixelfill

so as an experiment I just relocated my ROMs, I ran ROM scan which found only the freezer cart.
I selected the Main ROM manually (KS3.1 (a3000) rev 40.68), selected 68030, Full ECS and A3000 Chipset extra

I changed nothing else from default! - boots to main KS screen.

this was in 64bit WinUAE as well
Old 10 August 2020, 22:54   #17
outlawal2

OK I tried the suggested test and still cannot see any ROM except the "action Cartridge Super iv Professional"

Weird
I even went so far as to uninstall the 64 bit version first
Old 10 August 2020, 22:56   #18
outlawal2

Quote:
I've just tried a quick configuration
changing through the following settings from non-working to working - in the following order
Quickstart A3000
Config 3.1 ROM, 2MB Chip + 8MB Fast

CPU 68030
ROM KS 3.1 (A3000) rev 40.68 (512k)
MMU
512KB Chip
Z2 Fast 1MB
Chipset Full ECS
Chipset Extra A3000 <--- without this it doesn't work so I suspect this (once you've overcome your ROM location issue

gets me to a working ROM screen

OK let me try this exact config and manually select my ROM. (I don't really care if ROM scan works or not, I just want a workable configuration)

More to come! And thanks for the help folks, much appreciated!
Old 10 August 2020, 22:57   #19
Pixelfill

Quote:
I have the same ROMS as well as 3.1.4 ROMS from Hyperion and all of them have worked in the past on another WIN10 PC with an older version of WINUAE on it.
My testing has been with WinUAE 4.3.0 on Win10, could it be specifically related to 4.4 - are you able to try an earlier version?
Old 10 August 2020, 23:02   #20
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
My testing has been with WinUAE 4.3.0 on Win10, could it be specifically related to 4.4 - are you able to try an earlier version?
Nope, I use v4.4.0 and as you can see from my ROMs scan... the A3000 ROMs are detected.