English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 24 October 2011, 23:14   #1
Djay
95th User

IGN being negative towards Amiga

http://uk.wireless.ign.com/articles/121/1210540p1.html

"Creepy retro platformer Another World (also known as Out of This World) hit iOS last month, much to the delight of older gamers everywhere. The 1991 classic, originally developed for the Amiga of all systems, won praise for its incredible visuals and surprisingly deep storyline. "

originally developed for the Amiga of all systems!

member of IGN? FLAME THEM NOW!

and yet, a search around IGN i found...

http://uk.pc.ign.com/articles/113/1132320p1.html

"Child of the 80s: We Heart Amiga"

just goes to show... IGN knows shit and they dont even know they know shit

Last edited by Djay; 24 October 2011 at 23:20.
Old 24 October 2011, 23:34   #2
Synthesize Me
Amigaholics Anonymous

Wow...just wow...

"..Amiga of all systems.."

Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't the Amiga have more of the best and most popular classic video games of all time than most other systems of the day (not to mention computers of the day!). Damn hipocrites..
Old 25 October 2011, 15:51   #3
Dreedo

Lol best to ignore IGN, they spout out rubbish often.

They posted an Article a couple of days ago saying the 3DS Vs VITA battle is a joke and will be over before it's started.

History has shown however, that the most powerful console usually loses the war. With the exception of the SNES.

PS1 beat N64, PS2 beat GCN, DC and Xbox, Wii beat 360/PS3, DS beat PSP. All of them less powerful than their competitors.
Old 25 October 2011, 16:24   #4
roy bates

personaly i wouldent give a flying s#$t what IGN says about anything,

just look at some of the games they call "greatest ever" that turned out be one hit wonders or total crap by anyone else on the planet.
Old 25 October 2011, 17:09   #5
desiv

I must be missing something..

All they said was "originally developed for the Amiga of all systems" that I can see..

Yeah, they could be speaking badly of the Amiga..
Or they could just surprised, especially if the reviewer doesn't have a long history in the BIZ...

I don't read too much IGN, but I didn't think it was that bad..

If they had a post about Dungeon Master and said the same about the ST, I wouldn't think they were slamming the ST (tho they should... er.. um.. sorry.. that still just happens..)... I would just think they didn't really know gaming history...

I would guess most reviewers today would be surprised by anything that wasn't originally on a NES. :-)

desiv
Old 25 October 2011, 18:10   #6
Djay
95th User

Maybe... But these people should know the history of gaming more than anyone? Surely they know that delphine had developed for the Amiga beforehand so is it really that suprising that it the Amiga had a game made for it... Maybe someone should point them to the hall of light for a bit of... Education!

Or maybe I am just over sensitive, either way IGN still know shit all
Old 25 October 2011, 20:34   #7
desiv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djay View Post
Maybe... But these people should know the history of gaming more than anyone?
Ah! There's the difference..
I don't expect reporters/bloggers/shateverers to do any research or have any knowledge of what they are talking about nowadays..

Would be nice tho..
desiv
Old 25 October 2011, 20:52   #8
Dreedo

Yeah most people on here are more qualified to do stuff for IGN then their current staff. :P
Old 25 October 2011, 21:32   #9
Djay
95th User

Quote:
Originally Posted by desiv View Post
Ah! There's the difference..
I don't expect reporters/bloggers/shateverers to do any research or have any knowledge of what they are talking about nowadays..

Would be nice tho..
desiv
Funny that,I recently had a comment removed from cod elite, because I posted that the guy presenting their video updates had no idea that his 23 kills in a match was quite bad to my 72 in a match (high achieved)... I posted something like...

See this is what bugs me about pr and media groups... They employee people who don't actually play games or at least have any talent when it comes to playing games... Give me the job, I have more than tripled the presenters score...
Old 25 October 2011, 21:36   #10
atchoo
SWOS enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreedo View Post
With the exception of the SNES.
No exception, there was NeoGeo...
Old 26 October 2011, 01:45   #11
Dreedo

The SNES was more powerful than the NeoGeo.

NeoGeo had a 12MHZ 68000 processor. SNES had a 30MHZ Nintendo-built processor.

The SNES altogether also had 256kb of RAM, the NeoGeo had 140kb.
Old 26 October 2011, 04:56   #12
moby

Quote:
SNES had a 30MHZ Nintendo-built processor.
Eh?

Old 26 October 2011, 06:35   #13
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Ermh, the SNES has a Ricoh CPU, with a maximal clock rate of 3,58 MHz. One of the bottlenecks of this system. Look at some crappy programmed EA games, which aren't really playable due to slowdowns.

The Neo Geo is much more powerful and can stream pre-rendered graphics/animations directly from cartridge.

Last edited by Retro-Nerd; 26 October 2011 at 06:50.
Old 26 October 2011, 07:39   #14
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer

Sometimes when sites do reviews of my emulator they say "It's also available on the Amiga of all systems!" :-(
Old 26 October 2011, 10:31   #15
fishyfish
Banned

Quote:
The SNES was more powerful than the NeoGeo.

NeoGeo had a 12MHZ 68000 processor. SNES had a 30MHZ Nintendo-built processor.

The SNES altogether also had 256kb of RAM, the NeoGeo had 140kb.
Where the heck did you get these specs/figures from. Theyre very wrong

The snes had a 3.58mhz Richoh 5A22. The 5A22 is based around the 16-bit CMD/GTE 65c816, itself a version of the WDC 65C816 (also used in Apple2 GS).
The video hardware in the NeoGeo also dwarves the snes hardware.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minuous View Post
Sometimes when sites do reviews of my emulator they say "It's also available on the Amiga of all systems!" :-(
Which emulator is that if you dont mind me asking? Sounded like you was speaking in current tense, so I can only assume youre talking about amiarcadia ? (only currently developed amiga emu so far as I know besides more or less straight recompiles of existing emus).

Last edited by prowler; 27 October 2011 at 01:57. Reason: Back-to-back posts merged; please use multi-quote.
Old 27 October 2011, 19:39   #16
Mr B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthesize Me View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't the Amiga have more of the best and most popular classic video games of all time than most other systems of the day
Not really. Almost everyone knows of Super Mario, Alex KiDD, and so on. I'm not going to argue that consoles had better games, but the kid who had a Amiga stood out like a sore thumb, it was more expensive, and few parents bought it for the kids. The kid who got one had five games for about as long as it took him to find someone else on the school-grounds who also had a Amiga, and then he had at least ten. most likely someone on the schoolyard had some access to copies, and then the pool of games exploded. So the games the kid was playing when the parrot, sorry, parent checked in on him was ever changing, and so his memories of the gaming experience isn't focused on the particular game, but rather the flexibility and availability of multiple games.
Compare this with the kid who had a NES. He had 5 games to. If he was lucky he could loan a game every now and then, but on average those five, was all he had. He played them over and over, and the gaming experience was about that one game that he just couldn't stop playing. He, his friends, and relatives all remember that stupid Super Mario...

Me? I had a C64. Ricochet and Zolyx were the most used original games i had. A bunch of "turbo tapes" saw infrequent use, but i seam to remember going back to those two over and over. First long after everyone else grew tired of the Amiga i got a secondhand A1200. Luckily that was a good time, as older brothers were giving their Amigas to younger brothers, or even threw them away. Ended up with a somewhat good collection of parts and toys. But talking to people, hardly anyone agree on the most popular game for them. It ranges from K-240, to Moonstone, Syndicate, and Theme park. Hardly anyone remembers The secret of monkey island, and if they say Leisure Suit Larry, they snicker, or chuckle after...

The best game is a title hard to give any game, much less then the "best game platform". But when it comes to popularity, at least here in Sweden, the Amiga doesn't stand a chance.
B!
Old 27 October 2011, 22:19   #17
gilgamesh
Linux snob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B View Post
I'm not going to argue that consoles had better games, but the kid who had a Amiga stood out like a sore thumb, it was more expensive, and few parents bought it for the kids.
Not in my memory. You couldn't mention X-Copy on my school yard without heads turning.

Last edited by gilgamesh; 27 October 2011 at 22:49.
Old 27 October 2011, 22:46   #18
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

It was the opposite here in Germany. The NES/Master System had no chance against the C64/Amiga. Well, the SNES was released 1992 in Europe. It doesn't really competed with the Amiga. The PC and later the PSX were the commercial death.
Old 27 October 2011, 22:58   #19
Mr B

It's a shame we cant go back in time and divide your schoolyard up in console vs computer groups, but i will actually claim you proved my point. What we remember most fondly is how easy it was to obtain new games, not the games it self. You kinda involuntarily proved that point with citing X-Copy as a head turner rather then Settlers. I'm not saying games are worse, far from, remember, i have a Amiga. Instead i'm just saying that it's a lot less popular, and always was.

Heck, i had to buy my computers my self, while my sister got those pesky consoles for birthday gifts. Life just isn't fair. She kept bugging me to be allowed to play games on the C64, yet the games she remember is all on the NES/SNES.
B!

Edit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro-Nerd View Post
Well, the SNES was released 1992 in Europe. It doesn't really competed with the Amiga. The PC and later the PSX were the commercial death.
Uh, both were released 1992. The Amiga 1200 came out that year, the SNES came out 1990. How do you figure it wasn't competition? If it wasn't for the SNES, the Amiga might actually made bigger sales, and commodore would perhaps not have gone bust.
/Edit
Old 27 October 2011, 23:06   #20
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

SNES was released in Japan in November 1990, but in Europe in April 1992. The A1200 was never successfull anywhere. The most commonly used Amiga was still the A500 in 1992-94.

Last edited by Retro-Nerd; 27 October 2011 at 23:12.