English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 07 October 2004, 03:53   #41
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown_K
How many of you who had an Amiga when it was king actualy purchased it (the C64 I sold was purchased with my own money doing lawn/snow removal work)?
Bought my A500 in 1990 after I started a part-time job packing shelves at K-Mart while studying. My C64, on the other hand, was a brilliant Christmas present that I received from the family in 1984 just before I started high school. A few years later, though, I bought a 1541 disk drive out of pocket money that I'd saved up over a couple of years. It felt like an eternity saving up for it, but sometimes the best things in life are worth waiting for.
Old 07 October 2004, 10:13   #42
squirminator2k
Dream17 / PortsCenter guy

I still have my External AMiga Floppy drive floating about somewhere, though I can't use it anymore.
Old 08 October 2004, 06:59   #43
gunatm
Retronerd

At first i wanted to buy a c64 in 1989, but in this year the amiga 500 costed less than 1000 german marks, and so i decided to buy a newer technology. I knew from a friend about the amiga and my decision was made in 5 minutes. It was just a feeling and it was right.
Old 08 October 2004, 07:13   #44
T_hairy_bootson
Workbitch 1.3

I wanted a C64 back in about 87-88 got a Vic 20 off a mate for cheap... my brother hated it... he said it had Atari graphics... I didnt mind so much... few weeks later he brought home the Amiga 500. My first impression wasnt good... probably because of the bundled games... Crazy Cars, Super Ski and Putt Putt mini golf. I had some fun with workbench and thought there has to be some better games for this... so we took the A500 back to the store got our money back and went and bought a second hand A1000 with a monitor and heaps of games for the same price.
Old 02 September 2005, 19:37   #45
petza

drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrBong
Bought my A500 in 1990 after I started a part-time job packing shelves at K-Mart while studying. My C64, on the other hand, was a brilliant Christmas present that I received from the family in 1984 just before I started high school. A few years later, though, I bought a 1541 disk drive out of pocket money that I'd saved up over a couple of years. It felt like an eternity saving up for it, but sometimes the best things in life are worth waiting for.
i payed 60 poundage for my external drive
u can get them for 5 quid now ouch
Old 02 September 2005, 19:41   #46
petza

the reason i bought my miggy was because my ST died
Old 03 September 2005, 01:46   #47
Ray Norrish

same here. Was a die hard ST fan, but had 3 in about 6 months. Bought mine from silica shop, and they were just awful on after sales service.
Seemed to suffer from repeated floppy drive failures and when I lost a load of important stuff, I thought I`d try an ami, as I`d seen one in a shop and it just had me, even though it was £100 more expensive
Old 03 September 2005, 01:47   #48
Ray Norrish

Quote:
Originally Posted by petza
i payed 60 poundage for my external drive
u can get them for 5 quid now ouch
heh.. I still smart at paying £80 odd for 512k ram upgrade after all these years!
Old 03 September 2005, 02:05   #49
lopos2000
Zone Friend

In 1985 I wanted the best so I bought an Amiga 1000. That's why.
Old 03 September 2005, 02:14   #50
Eny-
R3tr0 G4m3r

The first time I saw an Amiga (and I only knew that it was an Amiga months after) was in a store were I used to buy Spectrum games. Some guys were playing Pirates!, and I remember thinking to myself "Wow! Great Graphics!".

Sometime after, I went to my friends house, were he had bought a new computer, after I saw him playing International Soccer (and comparing it to the Spectrum version (the best footy game for the Speccy imo)) and Kick Off 2, I was hooked... I had to get an Amiga.

So my parents bought me an Amiga (in 1991), but it was an A500+.... It didn't run almost half the game I'd loved playing at my friends Amiga, especially KO2, so I went to the store and exchanged it for an A500, a 512k ram exp. and two crappy games. Then I was a happy boy
Old 03 September 2005, 09:38   #51
petza

pirates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eny-
The first time I saw an Amiga (and I only knew that it was an Amiga months after) was in a store were I used to buy Spectrum games. Some guys were playing Pirates!, and I remember thinking to myself "Wow! Great Graphics!".

Sometime after, I went to my friends house, were he had bought a new computer, after I saw him playing International Soccer (and comparing it to the Spectrum version (the best footy game for the Speccy imo)) and Kick Off 2, I was hooked... I had to get an Amiga.

So my parents bought me an Amiga (in 1991), but it was an A500+.... It didn't run almost half the game I'd loved playing at my friends Amiga, especially KO2, so I went to the store and exchanged it for an A500, a 512k ram exp. and two crappy games. Then I was a happy boy
i completed pirates my rating was govener
my m8 completed it and all he got was a lowly sugar planter hehehhe it pissed em off he never beat my score,i still call him sugar planter today.
my m8 was so stupid,we were playing bloodwych he went inside a small room
i casted magelock on the door and he was selead in,i left him there the entire game mhahahahah, i used to win all the time at kick off 2 and hired guns.
Old 03 September 2005, 11:02   #52
BippyM
Global Moderator

Quote:
i completed pirates my rating was govener
my m8 completed it and all he got was a lowly sugar planter hehehhe it pissed em off he never beat my score,i still call him sugar planter today.
my m8 was so stupid,we were playing bloodwych he went inside a small room
i casted magelock on the door and he was selead in,i left him there the entire game mhahahahah, i used to win all the time at kick off 2 and hired guns.
I thought the only game you completed was turrican 2?

Quote:
Turrican 2 Since It Was The Only Game I Finished
Link to said reply: http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=207907&postcount=18
Old 03 September 2005, 13:33   #53
petza

yup

Quote:
Originally Posted by bippym

i completed on my ST
Old 03 September 2005, 13:37   #54
BippyM
Global Moderator

Quote:
i completed on my ST
oh okay thats cool

offtopic:

Right YOU HAVE IGNORED TWO PM's I SENT YOU. READ THE PM I SENT YOU TODAY AND REPLY TO IT PLEASE.

Last edited by BippyM; 03 September 2005 at 14:57.
Old 03 September 2005, 14:24   #55
mr_a500
Amiga-based Cyborg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown_K

How many of you who had an Amiga when it was king actualy purchased it (the C64 I sold was purchased with my own money doing lawn/snow removal work)?
Well, after seeing Shadow of the Beast and being totally blown away, I decided to take a semester off school to work and save up for an Amiga 500. (I hated school anyway )

I had to walk 3km/day in the middle of winter to work at a car dealership where I washed and touched-up used cars. (ever wash a frozen car covered in a foot of snow? SLOP!) Once, when I was walking home, a dump truck ploughed through a giant puddle of slush - totally spraying me with semi-frozen water. The semi-frozen water froze by the time I got home.

When I finally saved up enough to buy the Amiga, I quit. The suffering was worth it. I spent the summer playing with the Amiga, then went back to school.
Old 03 September 2005, 16:04   #56
Styx

Well I got my A500 at the end of 1989 for free. It was a gift. I came home totaly unprepared and there it was. A brandnew A500 with 1MB Ram, a stereo monitor and second disk drive. I didn´t really know what I had there. Later I felt like king of the hill . So the only money I spend were those 30 Mark for 10 3,5 Disks to ahem use for ahem copied data.
Old 03 September 2005, 16:28   #57
X-ray
Angry Kid Fan

I got mine because of this sequence of events:

1) I had a C64 but my friend up the road had an A500 with Blood Money, Obliterator, Terrorpods and Katakis. I loved those, I couldn't believe graphics like that existed. (I never thought anyone would beat Last Ninja's graphics on the C64). And I was impressed with the floppy drive (I had tape only on my C64).
2) Came to the UK in 1990. At the local computer shop in Bournemouth there were several A500s and a bag-load of new Amiga games, the most noticeable of which was F29 retaliator. I think Warhead was out too, but as I was a flight sim fan, Retaliator really blew me away. I HAD TO GET AN AMIGA!!
3) There was no easy way to get it. I would have to work for it, which I did, and after a few months I got the A500 pack that came with F29 Retaliator (I think it also had Escape from the planet of the Robot Monsters and Rainbow Islands, but I could be wrong). I dunno if Photon Paint II came with it or if I got it separately, but I remember having a lot of fun with that too.
4) Ja, then there was the inevitable quest for more RAM, external disk drive, more games, joysticks, etc...until I finally ended up with an A4KT of very reasonable spec . Surprisingly, for me it was the reverse: I wanted the amiga for games, but I ended up using it as much for graphics (raytracing and animation) and word-processing.
Old 03 September 2005, 17:52   #58
wanderer
I want an A1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by bippym

The English Amiga (big) Brother?
Old 03 September 2005, 21:49   #59
Shrub

Because i wanted to join in with the filthy piracy and swap games with my school mates. It evolved into something more creative though, I got interested in PPaint and Octamed
Old 04 September 2005, 23:11   #60
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

How I got mine? I woke up one morning, and my brother comes running into my room yelling "We've got a computer!"

I run downstairs and there she is, a brand new second hand A500, including stereo monitor and 0.5mb additional memory, and absolutely no games to test it with (It had some kind of paint program though... it wasn't deluxe paint, I think it was made by Accolade. Great, now I must find this program!). My dad bought it of a collegue real cheap, thinking that it would make a great toy.

How could he know I would end up worshipping the machine?