English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 06 November 2013, 14:07   #1
DonAmiga

Exclamation Help with workbench random failures

Hi hoping for some help

At the weekend I thought would fit the x-surf and software and now over the last couple of days I'm getting lots of random things not working, messages of needing to install software, library missing. Im thinking that I have somehow managed to corrupt the HDD along they way? Its like every time I turn on the Amiga something else won't work!

My system: A4000d, CSMK-III, CVppc, 2 68pin scsi Hdd's, IndiMk2, scsi card reader, big ram, xsurf, ide dvd drive, siamese system.

Problems:

First it started with AmiDock "program failed (error #80000004) wait for disk activity to finish" (PlayCD gets the same error message)

Then copying files progress bar stopped showing and would only copy part of a file, CD drive wont show disk.

Things that won't open in workbench (os3.9), HDtoolbox, edit pad, unarc, calculator, screen mode, overscan and others,

There are other things which will open up like clock, multiview and so on.

Execute Command from the workbench drop down won't open.

The latest one today is with the siamese system "error: SiSys: not found please check installation"

Any ideas whats going on would be much appreciated Thanks
Old 06 November 2013, 14:28   #2
Bamiga2002
BlizzardPPC'less

Send a message via MSN to Bamiga2002
Check if the X-Surf install-package replaced any system files.
Old 06 November 2013, 14:32   #3
DonAmiga

I went through the startup sequence this morning everything looked ok!

update just did a soft reset screen flashed yellow twice before booting up! I believe thats cpu?
Old 06 November 2013, 14:59   #4
Bamiga2002
BlizzardPPC'less

Not just Startup-Sequence (or User-Startup), but individual files (eg. Setpatch) could have been replaced. You can date check files that have recently been changed with eg. Dopus4.
Old 06 November 2013, 15:01   #5
Bamiga2002
BlizzardPPC'less

Reminded me of the mistake of trying to install the latest BetterWB on my WB 3.1 partition UNDER WB 3.9 - big mistake! Files we're replaced without question. Fortunately I had a recent backup of my 3.9 installation
Old 06 November 2013, 15:03   #6
zipper

Corrupted files in Classes: ? Just copy over them from the CD.
Old 06 November 2013, 15:16   #7
DonAmiga

Dopus4 won't load error missing library file! CD drive won't work either.

I'm just rigging up an idea drive with OS3.9 on it was hoping to copy over from that! Even if its possible to to do a complete copy over from ide to scsi, would that work? Then just rebuild my system!

Thanks
Old 06 November 2013, 19:22   #8
Kin Hell
0ld0r Git

SnoopDos might be a useful tool to try Don. Set the prog to run @ startup & write a log to a safe area on another drive to read later. Sorry REM-ing the EasyNet assigns didn't fix things. SnoopDos will run in the background during install scripts iirc. You would then have had a Log of what was going on @ the time of corruption.

Interesting you remark of a yellow flashed screen earlier. Yes, it can be indicative of CPU issues. First thing to check is pull the front panel & the 5.25"/Floppy bracket & get your eye down to the CPU card/Mobo interface connector. Look @ the lines cast in the connections facings & be sure it's pressed fully home. You can jam your right finger tips between Chassis & underside edge of mobo to support it, while you push down on the edge of the CPU cards connector. Try not to spike yourself in the process.
One other thing here as well, these cards use BGA sockets which are now entering an era of failure due to age.

Back up your SCSI Boot drive user-startup & CD0 icon & perhaps try a fresh install of 3.9 to see if she behaves. Tbh, I'd do a 3.1 install, then whack the 060 Libs on there & run SysInfo or something to stress it a bit.

Good luck fella.
Old 06 November 2013, 19:56   #9
1time
Amiga Lover

I have never managed to get AmiDock to work.

I get the exact same error as you are talking about. After i removed AmiDock most of my problems with 3.9 was fixed.
Old 06 November 2013, 23:03   #10
DonAmiga

I've been trying to reinstall from another drive using dos gets near the end and say "infinite loop in os3.9" what does the infinite loop mean?
Old 07 November 2013, 09:34   #11
Kin Hell
0ld0r Git

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonAmiga View Post
I've been trying to reinstall from another drive using dos gets near the end and say "infinite loop in os3.9" what does the infinite loop mean?
Do not install the drive from other hardware. Install the Amiga for real to avoid any bastardisations of dos being involved.

The Loop could be saying something is wrong with the Hard drive. Perhaps you should run some hard drive diagnostics on this drive to be sure, but I would still do it on the Amiga.
Old 07 November 2013, 10:45   #12
DonAmiga

Thanks, the plan is just do a fresh install and rebuild setup I've got a couple of hdd's coming in the post hopefully a bit less jet engine, I read that IBM DDR's quiter?
Old 07 November 2013, 11:06   #13
thomas

IMHO you should not ignore the possibility of a hardware problem. Because the problems started when you added another expansion it could be that this combination of expansions does not work well. Or perhaps you exeeded the limit of the power supply. Or the air flow is no longer sufficient to stop the system from overheating. Or you accidentally loosened something, for example the SCSI cable. The CPU connector is another candidate for loose contacts. The error indicates something related to corrupted RAM, so CPU connector, RAM connectors, Zorro connectors especially on the BigRAM are things to check. Heat is another thing which can cause this.

A corrupted harddrive or data corruption during read operations may cause such problems, but actually it's unlikely that the system boots up until WBStartup without problems if this was the cause.

Failure of AmiDock is usually caused by bad picture datatypes or wrong versions of gadget and image classes. After AmiDock crashed because of this reason, it's no wonder that other programs don't open, either.
Old 07 November 2013, 11:27   #14
Kin Hell
0ld0r Git

@ Don

Some seriously good advice from thomas.

As a matter of interest, is your A4KD re-capped?

*edit*

Quote:
Thanks, the plan is just do a fresh install and rebuild setup I've got a couple of hdd's coming in the post hopefully a bit less jet engine, I read that IBM DDR's quiter?
DDR Hard Drives?

Last edited by Kin Hell; 07 November 2013 at 18:02.
Old 07 November 2013, 19:23   #15
DonAmiga

@thomas Thanks for the input. At the time I did have a frame machine card and an octagon card, so maybe a bit much at the time! Also after checking the scsi card reader seems to be the most likely candidare for lose cable as it got 50 to 68pin adapter and is easily moved. I do have a hanging fan in the case but no heatsink on the cpu, (I'll get that done)

@Kin, I've got a motherboard that I had laid away which has been re-capped, so yesterday I fitted it

DDR Hard Drives, hope thats a good sign

Cheers
Old 08 November 2013, 20:00   #16
Kin Hell
0ld0r Git

@ Don

Keeping them crossed for you kiddo. Keep us posted.

One thing that troubles me is the fact u had Indivision & X-Surf100 in your Miggy for some time before installing the drivers. Any hardware u put in a miggy if ZORRO based will automatically register on the systems auto-config. Amiga's do not behave like PeeCee's. Based on this fact, I am left a little confused to say the least, & fail to see why driver installation would kill your A4KD in the manner it has.....

Pull the X-surf & see if it behaves..... Still thinking ur Hard Drive may be the culprit.

Last edited by Kin Hell; 08 November 2013 at 20:10.
Old 08 November 2013, 20:38   #17
DonAmiga

Don't think it was the driver more likely a combination of things like thomas says I was trying to do a fresh install, the only way to get access to the scsi drive is booting from ide drive then installing 3.1 over to scsi and adding 060 libraries but when try to boot scsi hard drive I get error message!
Old 08 November 2013, 20:53   #18
Kin Hell
0ld0r Git

Quote:
Don't think it was the driver more likely a combination of things like thomas says I was trying to do a fresh install, the only way to get access to the scsi drive is booting from ide drive then installing 3.1 over to scsi and adding 060 libraries but when try to boot scsi hard drive I get error message!
So u need to run some Hard Drive diagnostics with system as it is first. Stripping all ZORRO cards might be an idea too & then re-run the Hard Drive diagnostics. Hard drives will always hammer any PSU on start up.
Old 08 November 2013, 20:56   #19
thomas

So you say you can boot from IDE and write to SCSI, but if you read from SCSI you get errors?
Which error message? Please quote it exactly.

When you boot from SCSI, do you disconnect the IDE drive or how do you choose the boot drive?

What if you boot from IDE and then copy all files from the IDE boot partition to the SCSI boot partition without installation and then boot from SCSI?

Does it boot from SCSI when the IDE drive is connected?

Can you boot from SCSI without startup-sequence and then
set echo on
execute s:startup-sequence
?

At which point does the error message appear? Does it always appear at the same point?

What happens if you boot from IDE and then copy all files from the SCSI drive to RAM:?
Old 08 November 2013, 22:00   #20
DonAmiga

Hi thomas just tried everthing I think that you've asked for!

error "software failure, 8000 00B, task 08227D60" fails at the same point each time (with or without ide connected) as its starting up say 10 seconds in! after the amiga checks all connection led light, floppy, cd drive, scsi card reader and just goes into boot then fail.

I have done the boot into ide copied all over to scsi and that worked but as I read above about doing as fresh install not to get any future problems so formatted the drive and started over which is where Im at with the error message. On another note I do have one of Mech'es scsi card reader which I was thinking I could do cf-card with winuae boot from that and copy over if that would be best?

If I boot into ide and copy scsi wb over to ram I get error 8000 000B 8225C08 if I then try to boot into scsi.

When booting to ide I have to do it two times before getting in! First time get error 8000 000B 8227E10

When I do
set echo on
execute s:startup-sequence

I get error code 8000 000B 08227D60

I can boot without startup sequence and type "loadwb" I get "insert volume ENV" if I just cancel, it will load up workbench to show all the drives/directories

Many Thanks