English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 03 October 2015, 10:43   #41
Nostromo

Quote:
Originally Posted by esc View Post
If someone could write a graphics driver for os4.1 to use uaegfx - I think that's the most reasonable way. And then if someone could find a way to map more RAM to get beyond the csppc 128mb fast ram which is what OS4.1 uses. Then we'd be in business!
Exactly. But I bet that's an option some people/companies don't want us to have!
Old 03 October 2015, 10:50   #42
wawa

its rather likely that even without that limited 3d acceleration and with only 128mb ram available, its easily spotted that neither these features nor any sdl ports are justifying the given amount of investment in hardware.
Old 03 October 2015, 13:37   #43
DDNI
Targ Explorer

Send a message via ICQ to DDNI Send a message via MSN to DDNI
The advert on facebook states dualcore and AmigaOS4.1. Will the X5000 feature SMP of some sort?
Old 04 October 2015, 00:21   #44
eXeler0

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDNI View Post
The advert on facebook states dualcore and AmigaOS4.1. Will the X5000 feature SMP of some sort?
Well, the support needs to be in the OS (and there's no multi-core support in 4.1)... The hardware is not the problem here.
Old 04 October 2015, 13:54   #45
Pyromania

Why only USB 2.0 on such a nice high speced Amiga system?
Old 04 October 2015, 14:29   #46
trixster
Guru Meditating

I simply cannot understand why ppl spend $$$$ on AmigaOne systems. I just don't see the attraction.
Old 04 October 2015, 14:46   #47
Pyromania

Quote:
Originally Posted by trixster View Post
I simply cannot understand why ppl spend $$$$ on AmigaOne systems. I just don't see the attraction.

New and shiny!

All jokes aside some miss AmigaOS and want to get back in on a new system. Classic machines are really old now. I even met someone that had a rusted one.
Old 04 October 2015, 14:57   #48
_ThEcRoW
Amiga NetRunner

Any news???
Old 04 October 2015, 16:03   #49
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Quote:
I simply cannot understand why ppl spend $$$$ on AmigaOne systems.
Because they want to

Quote:
I just don't see the attraction.
Me neither, but that doesn't matter
Old 04 October 2015, 16:30   #50
chocolate_boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyromania View Post
Why only USB 2.0 on such a nice high speced Amiga system?
Because OS4 doesn't support USB 3.0. Hell, it only just got 2.0 support last year or so! It was 1.1 before that, so don't expect 3.0 any time soon.
Old 04 October 2015, 19:18   #51
eXeler0

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocolate_boy View Post
Because OS4 doesn't support USB 3.0. Hell, it only just got 2.0 support last year or so! It was 1.1 before that, so don't expect 3.0 any time soon.
And that's the timeframe to get support for open standards. ;-)
But is the hardware on the x5000 mobo only 2.0 or is the limitation in the OS? Usb3 controllers should not make a big difference in end price on this kind of.... exclusive... piece of hardware...
Old 05 October 2015, 01:48   #52
Pyromania

Only Mr Linux knows.
Old 05 October 2015, 18:34   #53
matthey
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXeler0 View Post
But is the hardware on the x5000 mobo only 2.0 or is the limitation in the OS? Usb3 controllers should not make a big difference in end price on this kind of.... exclusive... piece of hardware...
Probably a limitation of the embedded PPC SoC. The effect of PPC dying is not just high prices but outdated features. Welcome to the PPC Titanic, the last voyage of the Amiga elite.
Old 05 October 2015, 20:11   #54
wawa

mmm. matt, sorry please dont refer to the ship of fools as "amiga" elite. they have their own appropriate branding.
Old 06 October 2015, 04:17   #55
klx300r

Roll eyes (sarcastic)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wawa View Post
mmm. matt, sorry please dont refer to the ship of fools as "amiga" elite. they have their own appropriate branding.
lol as many of us here (and at other well known Amiga sites) know too well you already have a very 'special' branding
Old 06 October 2015, 07:55   #56
b0lt-thrower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne123 View Post
I don't see too many people saying they want an old PC either, I don't get nostalgic and miss my first 386 PC.
You would be very, very surprised.
Old 06 October 2015, 08:32   #57
Pyromania

I'm glad the X5000 is coming out. It's nice AmigaOS 4 & MorphOS users will have a modern system to run on. I wonder if no USB 3 is a hardware or software issue? Are any new PC & Macs still shipped with USB 2.0? I kind of doubt it.
Old 06 October 2015, 12:15   #58
eXeler0

It shouldnt be CPU dependant.. it should be possible to have completely separate USB3 controller chips on the mobo. They dont cost much these days.. Then again, it is at least possible to add USB3 ports with a PCI board...
Something like this...
http://m.miniinthebox.com/sv/usb-3-0...t_p561221.html
Entire pci card with usb3 controller and ports is ~€14

Ill leave the topic of "driver hell" to someone else ;-)
Old 07 October 2015, 10:48   #59
Daedalus

None of the Amiga family of OSes have USB 3.0 support. As others have said, it's probably down to there being USB 2.0 support in the SoC. If USB 3 support comes along then it's trivial to add a USB 3 PCIe card, just like many people did with USB 2 cards in their A1-XE machines. But fitting it to a new board as an extra will have the effect of a) pushing the price up due to the extra development and testing involved, and b) complaints from lots of people about the board being shipped with unsupported features, which invariably leads to the usual OS4 slagging, having a dig at Hyperion / A-Eon / AmigaKit and so on.

Quote:
2011 actually, but still pretty late to the game. Personally though I wouldn't consider USB 3 a high priority - hell, I don't even own a single USB 3 peripheral even though I have two PCs with USB 3 at home. If it were me I'd be more worried about drivers for other things and would prioritise things like drivers for HD audio, gigabit networking and so on.

Quote:
Yeah, the high end ones are expensive alright - too expensive for me anyway, but everyone has different interests. There are plenty of things I spend my money on that you wouldn't understand, and likewise I'm sure there are things you'd spend money on that I wouldn't be interested in.

Quote:
No 3D Acceleration in that config unfortunately. No sure why this can't be done if you have a beefy GFX card on the PC. Maybe in the next version of WinUAE?
Hopefully it can be added, but for now both the hardware and software sides of the emulation are limited. The hardware emulation is limited to classic accelerators and graphics cards and their respective limitations. This means Cyberstorm and Picasso-IV class machines at best. On the software side, nobody has written WinUAE "passthrough" drivers to allow OS4 to use Windows hardware resources directly in the way OS3 can (uaegfx for example is OS3/68k only), which is why it's so limited.
Old 25 February 2017, 19:40   #60
marley

Amiga X5000
install issues of OS 4.1 Final Edtion, any body got the same problem?
can't find Hard Drive only DVD been on it for days...........