English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Apps

Old 17 February 2021, 22:13   #1
rabidgerry

Dopus4 - Issues Extracting

I have an issue with DOpus 4.16

When I install this from the archive from Aminet, no issues, however it has a basic config as you would guess.

So I figured since it runs out of it's own directory how about copying DOpus 4.16 from Classic Workbench 3.1 and using that for my new OS 3.1.4 build.

So I have tried this and it loaded perfect but of course I needed to first add the kingcon-mountlist and and also the lines in my startup-sequence to get rid of a kcon error I was getting initially.

Bout now I have done this, if I try to archive extract, it freezes. I can press the two mouse buttons to quit the attempted task and go about using dopus for navigating between directories, but if I try to extract again same thing happens. I receive no error message, just a little clock symbol to indicate it is doing something.

I tried running snoopdos but I have no idea what it's telling me due to my lack of knowledge.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

I tried a whole bunch of things like installing fresh but just copying the cfg file from the WB3.1 version I have but still have the same thing happening.

***edit*** Just to be clear, before using the config file I can extract ok, but as mentioned it's a bare minimum setup then and I would really like to use the one I have for CWB3.1
Old 17 February 2021, 23:27   #2
AMIGASYSTEM

It is not enough to copy Dopus and its configuration, you must also copy the files associated with the various tabs or mouse clicks.
Old 17 February 2021, 23:50   #3
rabidgerry

Where are they located?
Old 18 February 2021, 00:23   #4
AMIGASYSTEM

Go to the Dopus4 configuration, see this old video of mine:

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 18 February 2021, 00:46   #5
npagonis73

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabidgerry View Post
Where are they located?

As AmigaSystem said it is not enough just to copy a dopus config file and expect to be able to do all the things that come with it. Depending on the buttons each user creates in dopus, you need to copy or install also the tools associated with this command. Usually in C folder or S folder if they arexx scripts. It is not easy to do what you try to do unless you know exactly which other tools/programs you need to get. It is better to start slowly slowly creating buttons depending on what you want dopus to do. Unzip, Unrar, lzx, unlzx, lha, unlha, maybe all the previous together in one button, read/extract adf or dms and so much more. We are here to help.
Old 18 February 2021, 01:09   #6
AMIGASYSTEM

To unpack archives you don't need to use the commands Unzip, Unrar, lzx, unlzx, lha, unlha, if you install the XADMaster libraries, with one click the archive will be transformed into a directory, see video

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1l_g...4hwRcYNJH/view
Old 18 February 2021, 10:33   #7
rabidgerry

I just find it strange that before I copy the configuration across it extracts as it should. It's only after I use the same config does it stop working.

As far as I am aware all the necessary tools are in place. Considering I have only tried Arc Ext I would have expected this to work. I haven't even tried zip-ing or lha-ing anything.

I also checked and I have the XAD and XFD libraries installed as well as their respective folders containing various things. I also checked my OS3.1 build and it matches up with what I have on the OS3.1.4 new build.
Old 18 February 2021, 10:46   #8
AMIGASYSTEM

If you use XAD, no command must be associated with the double click, otherwise XAD is ignored.

Attention Dopus4 saves its configuration in its S folder, but you may have a configuration file in the S of the system, you must make sure which one is used and delete the others.
Old 18 February 2021, 13:15   #9
rabidgerry

I had a look and I only have one config file which resides within the DOpus directory

DH0: DOpus/S
Old 18 February 2021, 14:50   #10
freakofnature

Hi Rabidgerry,

i have taken a DirOpus config file from classic wb and changed it to work in a pure and minimalistic wb 3.1 environment. I did not change any of the tools, buttons, or other setting, so it should be close to yours. File attached, please check if it works for you when un/archiving.
Attached Files
File Type: lha DirOpusCFG.lha (3.5 KB, 118 views)
Old 18 February 2021, 19:27   #11
ma693541
Computer Wizard

@rabidgerry, have you heard about this site? DOpus
Old 18 February 2021, 20:29   #12
rabidgerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakofnature View Post
Hi Rabidgerry,

i have taken a DirOpus config file from classic wb and changed it to work in a pure and minimalistic wb 3.1 environment. I did not change any of the tools, buttons, or other setting, so it should be close to yours. File attached, please check if it works for you when un/archiving.
Ok let me give that a shot. I will let you know

Quote:
Originally Posted by ma693541 View Post
@rabidgerry, have you heard about this site? DOpus

No I have not but I will have a look through these things also.
Old 18 February 2021, 21:07   #13
BippyM
Global Moderator

Can you send the snoopdos log, or a screenshot of its output?
Old 18 February 2021, 21:10   #14
rabidgerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakofnature View Post
Hi Rabidgerry,

Well what do ya know

It works!

Its the exact same size and seemingly the same functionality and layout as the one I was trying. I'm wondering was the one I was trying corrupt or something?

It lacks one feature just that I love, where I don't even need to arc extract, I can just click into the lha or zip or whatever and access like its a folder and lift say only one specific file that I need from an archive.

However it's 99% so that's pretty good.

Question, I've never ever used the clear ram function, I tried it with your config file, but it did nothing. I expected the same as my clear ram button?

Could you do me a favour and test out this config file for me? You will need to append it and remove the dot old from the end of the file name. Let know if it works or does not for you if you have the chance. Thanks
Attached Files
File Type: zip DopusOldCFG.zip (3.7 KB, 100 views)
Old 18 February 2021, 21:21   #15
rabidgerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by BippyM View Post
Can you send the snoopdos log, or a screenshot of its output?
This was the best I could do as I couldn't find where to save a log file. I was expecting the option "save log" to somewhere but I couldn't see that. Hopefully this will suffice. Never used snoopdos before btw.

Old 19 February 2021, 13:23   #16
freakofnature

Glad to hear that it works.

ClearRAM is a simple batch file that:
deletes everything in RAM Disk, except for Env, T, Clipboards
deletes all contents of those folders except for Env, which is relevant to system
and finally calls "avail flush" to remove unused system libraries from memory.
Code:
Delete >NIL: RAM:~(T|Clipboards|Env) ALL FORCE QUIET
Delete >NIL: RAM:T ALL FORCE QUIET
Delete >NIL: RAM:Clipboards ALL FORCE QUIET
Avail FLUSH
so it's like a mother cleaning up the kids mess

this script isn't essential, button can be redefined for other stuff. if you want to keep it, copy it from ClassicWB Sys:System/ClearRAM, or type in the script above and save it to your disk. Location can be anywhere on your drive, just change DirOpus button to pick it from the new directory.

Archives as folders:
This kind of feature requires proper setup of xpk, xad, xfd (or whatever it's named), as none of the standard archivers has such functionality integrated. Additionally, DOpus has to be configured to make use of it. Quite a bit work. Maybe there is another pre-configured Dopus floating around ready to use with x**.

!Wrong!

Have fun

P.S. no, your previous config file hasn't been corrupted or anything, it was just a misconfiguration with KingCon. In the file i had attached, i simply swapped it back to use standard Con output.

Last edited by freakofnature; 19 February 2021 at 14:47. Reason: added post scriptum and strike out of false statement
Old 19 February 2021, 13:54   #17
freakofnature

completely forgot the fact that Dopus on ClassicWB used the x-archive sys already. maybe all you need is to install them on your current drive? will give it a shot, too.

Jesus f****** Christ, i was sooo wrong.

Do you know those moments, sitting in front of a bare naked system, missing everything including the installer to install new stuff. Back to console, you realize that you have taken so many things for granted, as your fully-fledged system never left you alone in the dark without a torch, a map, a loaded gun and a hot meal?

Well, i'm on it to configure DirOpus, so it works on 3.x. i'll repack some of the tools and rebuild functions to access archives as folders, as this is a KingCon script i disabled when redirecting output to con:. Me stupid! Sorry for confusing.
Hope i can straight it out today.

Cheers

Last edited by freakofnature; 19 February 2021 at 14:57.
Old 19 February 2021, 15:03   #18
rabidgerry

So don't look for x-archive? I can't find it anyways

Yeah I started building this OS 3.1.4 from scratch too. I did about a year ago and give up as I couldn't do anything, for the reasons you mention!! But I grew a few more hairs on my chest since then so decided to under take the task.

So far ok, just want the Dopus to my liking. I could probably live with your config but it's good to have more fucking mystery's surrounding the Amiga
Old 19 February 2021, 15:47   #19
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:

It lacks one feature just that I love, where I don't even need to arc extract, I can just click into the lha or zip or whatever and access like its a folder and lift say only one specific file that I need from an archive.
As mentioned above to do what you ask you have to install the XAD libraries and you have to change the settings of the double click by removing the setting!
Old 19 February 2021, 17:23   #20
rabidgerry

Quote:

I also checked and I have the XAD and XFD libraries installed as well as their respective folders containing various things. I also checked my OS3.1 build and it matches up with what I have on the OS3.1.4 new build.

I have those installed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIGASYSTEM View Post
As mentioned above to do what you ask you have to install the XAD libraries and you have to change the settings of the double click by removing the setting!
Removing the double click setting does nothing.

Last edited by rabidgerry; 19 February 2021 at 17:35.