English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 17 May 2002, 00:32   #1
Pyromania

Beyond UAE

If the Amiga had become the worlds most sold computer instead of the PC we all know that computer land would be a much better today that’s for sure. But at least we now have an Amiga that does in fact run anywhere thanks to the hard work of the UAE developers. We were all sad when Commodore died and all hopes of AGA+, AAA etc went out the window so now we are stuck the scenario we have today. We no longer have computers that are an elegant mixture of cutting edge custom hardware coupled with a robust advanced OS. Instead we have graphics cards from different manufactures like ATI, Nvida, Matrox and operating systems that never take advantage of the feature set or chipset fully because software developers develop their applications generic so that it runs on all of them. Maybe it is time for the authors of UAE to see outside the box and go beyond simple emulation of an AGA Amiga. Create a new AGA+ or AAA Amiga in software, UAE could be your standard platform and applications could be created that take full advantage of this new software based chipset. Some of the things AGA does is still amazing today because you have a standard chipset that companies like Newtek took full advantage of. The Video Toaster is so cool because it uses AGA to output real-time effects to video. This is a feat that video editing systems still don’t have even today. Even the latest Video Toaster 2 for Windows has to render all its effects in near real-time. A 1993 Video Toaster is still cool today in 2002 because of the AGA standard. The best solution would be a new AAA Amiga of course but maybe since we can’t have that a software based AAA UAE could be a nice 2nd choice. What does everyone think about this?
Old 17 May 2002, 00:45   #2
Djay
95th User

Interesting Concept.

After giving this some thought, it appears as though you be creating an emulator for a system that only exists on paper...

... with this in mind, you could create a totally new emulator based on lots of different systems, i.e. all 8-bit systems or 16-bit systems and then create a virtual hard-disk for file swapping etc...

... you could infact, create something completely new (not based on existing hardware), but, however the spec of the PC would limit the power of this new system... or you could create a new OS (a HUGE task) that would intergrate with WINDOZZZZZZ!!!
Old 17 May 2002, 01:02   #3
oldpx

Quote:
or you could create a new OS (a HUGE task) that would intergrate with WINDOZZZZZZ!!!
or a self booting uae that runs on x86 machines and controls the hardware directly. Amithlon with AGA or AAA basically.

Old 17 May 2002, 02:34   #4
Djay
95th User

Quote:
or a self booting uae that runs on x86 machines and controls the hardware directly. Amithlon with AGA or AAA basically.
yeah.... it would run soooooo much better without that Microsoft shite in the way
Old 17 May 2002, 04:06   #5
7-Zark-7
Zone Friend

Exclamation

Although the concept is interesting,there's two major points to consider.
1)The aim of the WinUAE guys,(I would think),is to come up with the most accurate "classic amiga",(OCS/ECS/AGA), emulator available.
2) Whilst the AAA,RISC, & other Amiga developments might've died with Commodore,the fact is the pantents for those designs undoubtedly still lie with Amiga Inc. or Gateway or somebody.
Regardless of if they never physically existed,(Well AAA design boards had been in possesion of David Haynie,I think.), if someone came out with a software emulation of those proposed specs they might claim the project was a copyright violation.
Lawyers love this sort of stuff-it keeps them employed all the time!
Old 17 May 2002, 04:32   #6
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Quote:
Originally posted by 7-Zark-7
Although the concept is interesting,there's two major points to consider.
1)The aim of the WinUAE guys,(I would think),is to come up with the most accurate "classic amiga",(OCS/ECS/AGA), emulator available.
But I think he's suggesting a different type of emulation than WinUAE, not changing the existing WinUAE.
Quote:
Originally posted by 7-Zark-7
2) Whilst the AAA,RISC, & other Amiga developments might've died with Commodore,the fact is the pantents for those designs undoubtedly still lie with Amiga Inc. or Gateway or somebody.
Regardless of if they never physically existed,(Well AAA design boards had been in possesion of David Haynie,I think.), if someone came out with a software emulation of those proposed specs they might claim the project was a copyright violation.
Lawyers love this sort of stuff-it keeps them employed all the time!
Well, yes and no. The patents still exist for OCS/ECS/AGA, yet nobody has shut down UAE nor Fellow projects.
Old 17 May 2002, 08:50   #7
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

Re: Beyond UAE

Quote:
Originally posted by Pyromania
We no longer have computers that are an elegant mixture of cutting edge custom hardware coupled with a robust advanced OS.
Obviously you hate Macs if you fail to see it is just what you described.

But your maniacal blindness won't see that the standard setter for video editing, is Apple, and for good reason. Now you can insert your pathetic rant.
Old 17 May 2002, 09:02   #8
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

Oh and before you go running around like a nut crying and mumbling "OOoo Oooo..what am I gonna retort with", I'll tell you that your idea....is actually very cool, as far as I can understand it. Any way for us PC users to get around windblows is good to me.
Old 17 May 2002, 09:35   #9
Rotr

Actually I think what has been described here is partly the way new computer/console/chipsets are created.
First you find out what it is exactly you want and then you build a software simulation of this to find out if it would work before taking it to the hardware fase. So what you're asking the uae developers is to do amiga inc's work for them. And who's to stop somebody to run of with there ideas since it's an open source project.
Not a bad idea if we were to live in a perfect world were people have lots of time to spend on their favourite hobby
Old 17 May 2002, 09:37   #10
Pyromania

Re: Re: Beyond UAE

Quote:
Originally posted by Frederic

Obviously you hate Macs if you fail to see it is just what you described.

But your maniacal blindness won't see that the standard setter for video editing, is Apple, and for good reason. Now you can insert your pathetic rant.
The Mac is better now that Apple has admitted that their OS was complete garbage and dumped it into the potty (Mac OS 9.1 and lower) and went with Unix instead. However today’s Mac is not like the Amiga was when it was introduced in 1985, elegant custom hardware with an advanced OS. Instead today’s Mac uses off the shelf PCI gfx cards and PC parts much like the PC. Sure it uses a PowerPC CPU so it is somewhat better but Final Cut Pro does not do real-time effects and integrate into the Mac as well as the Video Toaster 4000 does in the Amiga because of the way the Amiga was designed. Even a brand new G4 Mac fails to impress me when put against a 1994 Video Toaster Flyer Amiga 4000T system.

Last edited by Pyromania; 17 May 2002 at 09:45.
Old 17 May 2002, 11:59   #11
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

To call OS 9 complete garbage negates any worthiness in your arguements. It is hyperbolic and useless. I discard you from any further consideration in this discussion.
Old 17 May 2002, 13:54   #12
Pyromania

Quote:
To call OS 9 complete garbage negates any worthiness in your arguements. It is hyperbolic and useless. I discard you from any further consideration in this discussion.
Relax Frederic, I know you like the Mac. So much so that you brought it up in this thread even though I did not. The Mac has always had some cool software, I will give it that, I liked Comic Strip Factory myself. But the Mac's of yesteryear were very generic. So much so that the Amiga could emulate them with shareware and free software. The fact that the Mac still had black & white machines available in 1992 was a joke. The OS kept getting updated but did not multitask. Format a floppy and wait until it finished because you could do nothing else. The fact of the matter is the Mac was a very primitive machine for a very long time both in its OS and hardware. It’s only saving grace was it did have some cool programs like Bryce, KPT PowerTools and many others. The fact that very early Amiga’s could emulate the Mac with A-Max was because the Macintosh was an OS and a 680X0 CPU and not much else. Steve Jobs knows this and that is why he had a funeral for Mac OS 9 http://news.com.com/2100-1040-899914.html

You may have fond memories of the Mac and I am not trying to spoil that for you but please remember that you had fond memories of Mac software that you enjoyed not the Mac hardware or OS which was horrible. Even changing to a new RISC based CPU (PPC) did not help the Mac OS. Apple has over the years completely abandoned their architecture OS and design. Because of the Mac OS of old Apple was on its deathbed and Steve Jobs had to be brought in to save Apple. The Candy colored iMac was only a temporary solution. Jobs ultimately abandoned the Mac OS and switched to Unix. The fact that he went out of his way to have a funeral for OS 9 in front of hundreds of people is because he knows it sucks and wants developers and users to stop using it. Mac OS X is Unix with a updated Mac OS look and feel, it saved Apple from death. If you are going to sit in this thread and insist that Mac OS 9 and lower were good then you will be the laughing stock of EAB. If you say that Mac OS X is better than Windows and does Video Editing better than Windows machines I can respect that. IMovie is better than most of the sh*t that is passed off as video editing software on the PC.
Old 17 May 2002, 14:44   #13
Djay
95th User

MACS ROCKS (OS X is the most beautiful and solid OS ever made), but i still need my PC
Old 17 May 2002, 16:07   #14
7-Zark-7
Zone Friend

Question

It makes you wonder why CBM & Apple didn't combine forces & merge technologies togther to take on the PC Clones....
With the Amiga's Multitasking & multimedia abilities of the time combined with Mac's applications & OS,who knows where we'd been today with home-computing?
Old 17 May 2002, 16:14   #15
Pyromania

Quote:

http://www.lowendmac.com/ibook/barbibook.shtml

Well I take part of this back. This Powerbook Mac running OS 9.1 is ideal for the active homosexual on the go. It is nice to see that Apple trys hard to get the gay community an OS 9.1 based Mac that will suit their needs when traveling.
Old 17 May 2002, 19:45   #16
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

Well I have read your comment 7 Zark, and it seems to me that would have been the move. But marketing wise at that point, both companies had their head in thieir ass. No one of them would have had the vision to go through with such a project.