English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 15 January 2007, 13:47   #1
viddi

Did Producer Timbaland Steal From the Demoscene?

http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/01/14/0113234

says the following:

[ Show youtube player ] writes "In 2000 the Finnish demoscene musician Janne Suni (also known as 'Tempest') won the Oldskool Music Competition at the Assembly demoparty with his four-channel Amiga .MOD entitled 'Acid Jazzed Evening.' A Commodore 64 musician called 'grg' remade the song on the C64 (using the infamous SID soundchip); it is this that was stolen. The producer's name is Timbaland and he is one of the hottest names in American music these days. The track in question is called 'Do it' and it is featured on the Nelly Furtado album 'Loose' on the Geffen label. Getting nowhere with Geffen, the demoscene has now risen to the aid of Tempest, first by creating a stir at SomethingAwful (files downloadable from the forum), then at Digg.com, then on [ Show youtube player ], with a video demonstrating the blatant ripoff. Being an online-posting musician myself — what rights do I have if this should ever happen to me, and what can be done to raise awareness about such things?"
Old 15 January 2007, 15:58   #2
Kodoichi
Banned

Location: I'm the smiling face on your TV, I exploit you still you love me
Something similar happened to another demoscene musician and a Swedish dance group.

BTW, do the retarded US goons even know what the demoscene is?

Edit: And why is it I only see this 3 days later? Fucking RSS of Digg doesn't even give me the important frontpage stories.

Last edited by Kodoichi; 15 January 2007 at 16:11.
Old 15 January 2007, 16:05   #3
Ultron
Something

I wish i could colour me surprised. Not really. All these hip hop raptard fuckers are all a bunch of thieves and losers who couldn't make a 3 choord progression with melody if they were given the first two for free.

That these musical mongos make millions while real musicians rot is borderline criminal. But hey, the beauties of the amazing US world of entertainment. Trash food, trash music, trash morals. Freedom with fries on the side.
Old 15 January 2007, 16:33   #4
viddi

@ Ultron:

Not all of them, but many and I hate this gangsta style and glamour shit.

"But hey, the beauties of the amazing US world of entertainment. Trash food, trash music, trash morals. Freedom with fries on the side."

Sad, but true.

But don´t forget: People can´t choose their home country. Not every American wants to live the imperialistic way of life (which, in my opinion, includes this stuff you mentioned)
Old 15 January 2007, 16:48   #5
P-J

Quote:
Originally Posted by viddi
Not all of them, but many
Basically all of them. Hopefully they'll all kill each other eventually. Or die in some kind of freak accident. Here's hoping.

The worst part is that here in the UK we're force fed the rampant torrent of shit that comes from the US. Thank fuck for the internet, that's all I can say.

On-topic however, this is just so wrong it's fucked up. The RIAA tell us day in day out why pirating music is wrong, the MPAA tell us how copying DVDs is wrong, and then we see stuff like this?

It's a fucked up world we live in. The world where the American Megacorporation has the power over the common man. Sucks.

//edit : Check out his page on Wikipedia and look at the talentless fucks he's produced for : Ginuwine, Missy Elliot, LL Cool J, Jay-Z? No wonder he has to steal with these waste-of-fucking-spaces on his books.

Last edited by P-J; 15 January 2007 at 17:00.
Old 15 January 2007, 17:06   #6
viddi

Sorry, off-topic again but

@ P-J:

"The worst part is that here in the UK we're force fed the rampant torrent of shit that comes from the US."

Same here in Germany. As a social worker I know so many children influenced by this shit. And there are some nasty guys called "Aggro Berlin" (just the worst example) that produce this kind of music(?) in German.
Old 15 January 2007, 17:26   #7
dambuster
Zone Friend

Does the language actually make a difference as the one supposed to in english aint any language i ever learnt - - that'll be me banned from net again by the kids.

Back on topic, if the originator of the music has proof of age, then they should be able to sue. If of course you can afford to loose. Game set and match to the mega corp.

Perhaps some of the royalties gained from the sale of music should go into a fund for musicians/composers to be able to contest such theft.
Old 15 January 2007, 17:31   #8
Ultron
Something

Old 15 January 2007, 17:45   #9
DaZZaBoY
Diamond Geezer!

<off topic>

Extreme as Ultron's views are at times, I've really gotta side with him on this one. I really can't stand all this gangsta jive like 'yeah..aiii!' and 'dya know wot i meeeen' - bullshit!

Be unique, develop your own style and quit knocking out repetitive, butchered shite that makes my ears bleed!

</off topic>
Old 15 January 2007, 18:28   #10
Kodoichi
Banned

Location: I'm the smiling face on your TV, I exploit you still you love me
Someone here is a moron.

The track in question isn't even hip-hop and you now obviously take the gangsta-blingbling stuff as example.

Stick to your fascist guitar music.
Old 15 January 2007, 20:16   #11
viddi

@ Kodoichi:

Sorry, Dimmu Borgir has nothing to do with fascism.

But you´re right, we just talked about this gangsta hip hop and these guys are the best example of fascism, sexual discrimination, arbitranty discrimination and so on ... not always...but very often.
Old 15 January 2007, 20:21   #12
P-J

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodoichi
Someone here is a moron.

The track in question isn't even hip-hop and you now obviously take the gangsta-blingbling stuff as example.

Stick to your fascist guitar music.
The difference here is that some of us like the music, but others are into the lifestyle. Since most of the people this 'producer' has worked with are talentless idiots (well, they're pretty much 'jokes') the lifestyle is all you have.

I was talking about the talentless hacks this guy works with, not this song inparticular.

As long as he's out there producing for these artists who in turn churn out utter shit, I'll complain about it.
Old 15 January 2007, 21:36   #13
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

you know guys its quite sad that the music industry has to rip peeps off... they have been doing it for .... well since they began....

ripping of talented muscians by robbing royalties with poor contracts ( a lot of the black 40's / 50's and 60's artists and groups couldn`t read or write so got ripped off...

tallented muscians and writers are used up by a system that trys to find a niche 2/3 album hit....

in the words of johnny rotten :" pop will eat itself... "

as long as people buy shit... those music companies will try and sell it...

I dont listern to the charts since i was 14... infact i find most music quite poor or over done by others... i dont do a specific style of music or could be labled as indie.... todays rap is crap.... it had its time and tunes now its all ... if they invent a word ..... it would never be spoken....

there are some flavours i like...

JK / James Brown / Mowtown / Allice in Chains.... Type O negative....

Osric - Tenticles... ORB - some chemical brothers --- love the prodigy....

but my one true love.... Retro Game music....

be it mods/meds or sids its all delicious!!!!
Old 15 January 2007, 22:52   #14
viddi

@ Zetr0:

Yes, I agree!

But wait until my first EP will come out.
I´m working on it with a friend of mine for nearly three years now.

It´s a mix of dark-wave stuff, depeche mode, vnv nation, others and of course badly influenced by Amiga Games Music.

And thanks to Amiga (started with Octamed in 1993) I´m now able to produce professionell music.

Ohhh Amiga, I love you.

Edit: Well, I hope we´ll be successful, social worker is a nice job but music is my passion.

Last edited by viddi; 15 January 2007 at 22:59.
Old 15 January 2007, 23:12   #15
spiff
Oh noes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-J
The difference here is that some of us like the music, but others are into the lifestyle. Since most of the people this 'producer' has worked with are talentless idiots (well, they're pretty much 'jokes') the lifestyle is all you have.
Like there's ANY album out there that isn't produced today, shit even the "Indie" scene is "Indiefied" to sell more.

I didn't think was that bad until I heard the part where they layer the two songs, the bpm AND melody match exactly. So yea I think it sounds like a ripoff...
The sample otoh could have been taken form one of many sample banks/CD/rigs out there. Timbaland probably thought the sample was cleared, one of the reasons why you sample CDs..

ah.., what am I saying, small artists have always been ripped of, of course they knew.
Old 16 January 2007, 00:02   #16
dambuster
Zone Friend

err .......... does the miggy not play "samples"
Old 16 January 2007, 02:30   #17
Ultron
Something

Yall biotches, no rezpect, 'know what i'm sayin', ayyyyyeeee! MC Ultron's in da house:

Old 16 January 2007, 03:19   #18
Photon

Music industry is full of hypocrates. They steal music in a microsecond if they can get away with it. Some more than others. Let's "borrow" a beat, "borrow" a chord sequence for the chorus and then talk on top of it with bad rhymes. Bah.

I see a wannabe star who thought he would have it made as a musician and when it fell through he's hoping to get money out of a scener. I think grg has proven himself as a SID musician on his own.

I say, let's listen to all the music Tempest did and see what he borrowed...
Old 16 January 2007, 06:47   #19
viddi

Good morning.

Well, I think it´s really okay to earn money with art; e.g. music.
That´s what I try.

But music should have personality. I want to say something with texts, sounds and so on.

It´s ridiculous when these PopIdol-people say: Well, you have to work on your personality.
Old 16 January 2007, 08:29   #20
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

@viddi

So true my friend sooooo true....

Pop idol / Xfactor..... if music could be more mass produced.... then this is it!

it really has to stop.... it really does....