English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Games

Old 09 March 2009, 22:41   #1
olesio

No polish fonts in "Zdrajca".

I got fixed version from uploader of game "Zdrajca" on U.G. Game runs, but I still have
problem with polish national characters. Game should read fonts from own directory and
subdirectory fonts, so I ofcourse have that directory with Zdrajca.font, Zdrajca2.font files
and also with Zdrajca, Zdrajca2 subdirectories. But while game there is no polish fonts in
texts displayed while playing. Can you guys download and check file bellow under a real
Amiga and/or under WinUAE. The simpliest way is unpack lha and run ZdrajcaStart icon.
After credits (when authors fotos are shown you can skip by left mouse button) and when
Lion on MGM logo style show you can skip intro by right mouse button. Now on a game
screen click on 'MOW" under text "OPCJE". If you will see "Z KIM MAM ROZMAWIA#?
Z POWIETRZEM?" you also have problem with polish fonts. But if you will see indead "#"
polish letter "Ć" ("C" with dash be above letter) all should be ok. In this case plase pack
and upload your Sys:Fonts directory on some free file hosting server and post link here.
Also question to polish dudes, who use WinUAE with some Workbench. I know from guy,
who upload this game on U.G. - the problem with cuting longer speeches in game can be
fixed by adjusting CPU and Chipset scrollbars on "CPU" Tab in WinUAE, but I don't know
on what variables I should set them to prevent "cuting" a longer texts. Thanks in advice

Code:
http://.com/files/207211479/zdrajca.lha
Old 10 March 2009, 13:01   #2
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Hi olesio,

I have copied all the font and lib files to my system partition, but still there are no special polish characters displayed in the game. Since I can only assume that they should appear when '#' or something like that is shown, it would be good if a native speaker (Shoonay? ) could check that too
Old 10 March 2009, 13:13   #3
Shoonay
Global Caturator

Sorry, can't help you.
I suck at getting this game to work and can't even load it on neither of my 3 configs (real 030, emulated 030 & 040)
Just had an idea.
This might be the fault of Amiga Polish font standards.
Or the lack of them
Remember, we had xJP (thanks to father Pikula, the author of hundreds of Polish printer drivers) and AmigaPL (thanks to Marek Pampuch's initiative, the creator of the Polish edition of Amiga Magazin).
My guess is, the game uses the other one you guys have, so it displays some fonts badly.
I remember I had an script on my WB's desktop that changed between those two on-the-fly, but can't find it now...
The case is even worse if it uses it's own standard, but it should be on the CD then, right?
Old 10 March 2009, 13:15   #4
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5h00n4y View Post
I suck at getting this game to work and can't even load it on neither of my 3 configs (real 030, emulated 030 & 040)
Have you grabbed the new version from the link in the first post? Works a treat here
Old 10 March 2009, 13:19   #5
Shoonay
Global Caturator

Yeah, that one too...

Damn you, now I need to check it again, I hate you!
Old 10 March 2009, 13:22   #6
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Damn you, now I need to check it again, I hate you!
Hehe Go for it Shoons Seems like a funny game, though I can't understand a damn thing
Old 10 March 2009, 14:46   #7
Shoonay
Global Caturator

Sorry again, I'm an idiot.
Indeed I wasn't checking the version from olesio's link, even tho I donwloaded it, I booted my old HDF, lol... lack of coffee and stuff... you know... do you...

PS: Where would I be if it wasn't for TCD to force me check it again?
Thanks pal.

Last edited by Shoonay; 10 March 2009 at 14:51.
Old 10 March 2009, 14:48   #8
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
PS: Where would I be if it wasn't for TCD to force me check it again?
Thanks pal.
Hehe Good to hear it works now
Old 10 March 2009, 14:50   #9
Shoonay
Global Caturator

Indeed it does.
The animations looks a bit to fast on WinUAE and the voices get cut before they end, but all the fonts look fine to me.
Now to check it on me real Amy and discover which fonts it wants beside those it already has
Old 10 March 2009, 17:05   #10
olesio

Like I discovered the speech is not cuted on WinUAE when game is rungin by "run Zdracjca:Z1"
before Z2 (the Z1 file with intro and credits is running in something like background). But I have
still problem with polish chars. Like I tested the game care only about fonts in ZDRAJCA:Fonts,
so content of system Fonts: directory does not matter. And like U.G. uploader say I unpack a
lha archive under WinUAE to have correct protection bits. So under WB and old filemanager
called NTP (in Norton Commander style) I see ----rwed bits, but polish cars are not still shown.
Maybe someone here have other idea how to fix that problem, which do not exist on real Amiga?
Old 10 March 2009, 18:39   #11
Shoonay
Global Caturator

Done. Got rid of all the unnecessary files, left a few MB's for future save files and reedited the startup-sequence so now the game loads instantly.

The intro and the game itself runs fine, so I *think* everything should be OK.
Some errors may appear further in the game, so someone has to finish it.

This is the configuration I used, the voices sound pretty good now.
The intro is still a bit out of sync, but who cares, I'll be playing this on me real Amy.

ROM 3.1, 2MB Chip, 8MB Fast

Last edited by Shoonay; 09 May 2009 at 22:22.
Old 10 March 2009, 20:24   #12
olesio

Now everything works fine. The font problem it was my fault because I do not want to read
what U.G. game uploader write to me. The game must be run from hardfile and lha archive
also should be unpacked to hdf file. Now protection bits for font are rw-d and game shows
polish chars correctly. Also with Shoonay's WinUAE configuration longer speech isn't cut.
Thanks to Shoonay and U.G. game uploader who send me fixed lha - game works fine
Old 10 March 2009, 20:34   #13
Shoonay
Global Caturator

Good to hear it works for you too.
Now we need to finish the game, how about you take the WinUAE version and I play this on my real Amy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by olesio View Post
The font problem it was my fault [...]
Same here...
The game didn't like any other FONTS in that folder, and in my case used topaz.font instead of the zdrajca.font it was meant to...
Perhaps it's because it was the only/main FONTS folder on the partition?
That would explain why I had no trouble with my real Amy as I copied all of the game's contents to a different folder on a different partition, and assigned the game's FONTS folder as an addon.
Old 10 March 2009, 21:45   #14
olesio

I try to pass game tonight. I played few minutes before but if you answer "no" when musican
ask do you bring sampler - game restart so saving is good idea, but in save requester do not
press "Cancel" like I wrote, because game will be closed with error as I'm mentioned above.
Old 29 March 2009, 10:38   #15
andreas
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
Quote:
Originally Posted by olesio View Post
the problem with cuting longer speeches in game can be fixed by adjusting CPU and Chipset scrollbars on "CPU" Tab in WinUAE, but I don't know on what variables I should set them to prevent "cuting" a longer texts. Thanks in advice
Simple answer: you are unable to know it, because these settings are hardware-dependent.
On my old K6-III, I was able to get it at position 9 which made some games work, but now with my Athlon XP it might break the whole emulation if I set it that far!

Setting '4' is the default. (that's what Bernd Schmidt told me in person back some years ago)

Remember it's only a kludge to make things work. It needs probably a tweak in the WinUAE core; but it won't be easy to convince the developing team (*cough cough*) of fixing this, because putting up a test case won't be too easy.