AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterK View Post
If $AfA EQ ON
Wait 2 ; wait for Eastern
RemLib >NIL: icon.library
KeepPlanarImages
EndIf
With command -> "If $AfA EQ ON", I don't have the colors on InfoIcon on Dopus4 (see screenshot)

Without command -> "If $AfA EQ ON" the colors on InfoIcon on Dopus4 can be seen perfectly but "Eastern" no longer works

With icon_lib.exe instead "Eastern" works but InfoIcon on Dopus4 are colorless.
Old 18 June 2020, 15:20   #3422
Weaselrama
Registered Voter

Quote:
http://aminet.net/package/util/wb/eastern

Eastern (a wrong translation of the German "Ostern") was made to display thumbnail preview images of your pictures as deficons. On OS 3.x Eastern usually creates palette mapped icons and uses dithering for the color reduction of TrueColor images. The resulting quality is not looking very good. On OS4 with an icon.library version of 51 or higher Eastern can transfer the downscaled thumbnail images directly in TrueColor to icon.library and the result looks perfectly.

AfA_OS and my icon.library (v51) both offer support for Eastern to generate TrueColor thumbnail images even on OS 3.x for getting the best quality. The problem with DOpus5 is that it has replaced the support for the deficons hook by its own internal filetype system. Bernd Roesch (AfA) has written a small patch for DOpus 5.82 (which still works on my 5.83) in order to give DOpus5 the support for DefIcons and Eastern back, but with the drawback that the filetype system won't work anymore.
Gee but I'm glad I don't use Magellan. Thanks, I'll definitely check out this little proggie.
Old 18 June 2020, 17:07   #3423
PeterK

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIGASYSTEM View Post
With command -> "If $AfA EQ ON", I don't have the colors on InfoIcon on Dopus4 (see screenshot)
- Without command -> "If $AfA EQ ON" the colors on InfoIcon on Dopus4 can be seen perfectly but "Eastern" no longer works
- With icon_lib.exe instead "Eastern" works but InfoIcon on Dopus4 are colorless.
Come on, I didn't say that my AfA configuration with RemLib works for everybody, but for me. There are thousands of different systems.

It was your idea to mix icon_lib.exe, icon.library and RemLib together with Dopus4 IconInfo and Eastern on AfA, and I thought that you had a working configuration by putting RemLib into user-startup. Never change a running system!

And just for me: Never run such a system!
Old 18 June 2020, 17:13   #3424
AMIGASYSTEM

I don't use Eastern, I'm content that it works well Dopus4 and this only happens with your library

You never know I like to experiment, maybe eventually I'll find a remedy...
Old 18 June 2020, 20:40   #3425
PeterK

It may depend on how you start DefIcons, Eastern and other commodities from WBStartup and in which order they are executed. DefIcons should be started before Eastern, that's why I use "STARTPRI=10" in DefIcons, but no "STARTPRI" tooltype in Eastern, which gets the default like most other tools. If Eastern would have a negative startpri it may start very late.

If I don't use the "Wait 2 ; wait for Eastern" I have similar problems as you, but maybe you need a higher value, try "Wait 5" for lamer starts. Or see what happens if you call RemLib later from a shell instead of at the end of the startup-sequence.
Old 19 June 2020, 00:04   #3426
AMIGASYSTEM

That's not the problem because with "icon_lib.exe" Easter works, but don't have the colors to the icons on Dopus4.

Tried to give a value -127 to Easter and +127 to DefIcons but Easter didn't work

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 19 June 2020 at 12:57.
Old 19 June 2020, 00:19   #3427
Weaselrama
Registered Voter

If I set deficons to DONOTWAIT assuring it starts before other WBStartUP apps, does it matter what priority I set Eastern to? Most of my WBStartUP icons don't have a priority level tooltype set.

My Menu bar clock had short wait priority but it suffers from corruption of the :minutes area in AfA so I removed it.

This is a cool little proggie...I'm still playing with the other tooltypes.
Old 19 June 2020, 00:30   #3428
AMIGASYSTEM

DONOTWAIT is present on all applications of the WBStartup otherwise you receive request, the priority is when it needs some applications to start before or after, as you can see from my screenshots, only a few have priorities.
Old 19 June 2020, 00:40   #3429
Weaselrama
Registered Voter

Quote:
DONOTWAIT is present on all applications of the WBStartup otherwise you receive request, the priority is when it needs some applications to start before or after, as you can see from my screenshots, only a few have priorities.
Not on mine. I just checked them again. Only the menu bar clock had DONOTWAIT set and that's been deleted as I noted above. I have no startup issues nor does the WB send any requests. Otherwise, I'll try WAIT 2 on Eastern.
Old 19 June 2020, 00:49   #3430
AMIGASYSTEM

Then bar clock had 2 DONOTWAIT

DONOTWAIT is hidden but present on all applications, Try removing "RAWBInfo" or look at the icon with Dopus4 IconInfo
Old 19 June 2020, 00:56   #3431
Weaselrama
Registered Voter

Quote:
Then bar clock had 2 DONOTWAIT

DONOTWAIT is hidden but present on all applications, Try removing "RAWBInfo" or look at the icon with Dopus4 IconInfo
I'll be damned. I didn't know that - I learn something new every day. Thanks! Ok - again, I'll see how it goes with Eastern.
Old 19 June 2020, 02:08   #3432
James

Quote:
Use the tooltype "PROGRESSIVE=NO" in Eastern.info and start it after DefIcons in WBStartup (see documentation)
Tried this, but just got the standard def_icons.

Quote:
I would recommend the picture datatype 45.17 for best scaling quality
This worked though.
So it looks like Eastern requires the OS3.9 picture.datatype as minimum. Thanks for the help.
Old 19 June 2020, 10:54   #3433
PeterK

Quote:
That's not the problem because with "icon_lib.exe" Easter works, but don't have the colors to the icons on Dopus4.

Tried to give a value -127 to Easter and +127 to DefIcons but Easter didn't work
Carlo, why do you never understand what I want to explain to you?

1.) With just using icon_lib.exe you don't need RemLib, and thus RemLib can never be called before or after Eastern has finished starting. Of course, without RemLib Dopus4 has no nice icons.

2.) giving Eastern a STARTPRI=-127 and DefIcons +127 is the worst case for RemLib that you can have, because RemLib has to wait until Eastern has finished to install the hook in icon.library or probably in icon_lib.exe.

Don't start RemLib from the user-startup, it didn't work for me if I want both, nice icons in Dopus4 and in Eastern. Start RemLib from the end of the startup-sequence, but with a "Wait 2" or more, maybe you need a "Wait 10" in the line above RemLib.

Instead of doing RemLib in the startup-sequence or user-startup you can also check it out in a shell window after the Workbench has finished booting and you have tested Eastern. Just enter "RemLib icon.library" without ">NIL:" to see if it really works and then test Dopus IconInfo for colors.

@James
Yes, I can confirm that the picture.datatypes of OS 3.5 or P96 don't work with Eastern, only those from OS 3.9 or 3.1.4 (with a little lower quality) are doing the job.

@All non-AfA users:
Please don't call RemLib at the end of your startup-sequence, because that's not required on a normal AmigaOS system for using Eastern preview icons or to have TrueColor support for Dopus4 IconInfo. Only weird AfA_OS systems need that.

Last edited by PeterK; 19 June 2020 at 11:10.
Old 19 June 2020, 11:16   #3434
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:

1.) With just using icon_lib.exe you don't need RemLib, and thus RemLib can never be called before or after Eastern has finished starting. Of course, without RemLib Dopus4 has no nice icons.
(don't be angry I'm really old stubborn), no, when I use "icon_lib.exe" I do not use RemLib or other patches and Eastern works fine, only the icon colors on Dopus4 don't work.

Quote:
2.) giving Eastern a STARTPRI=-127 and DefIcons +127 is the worst case for RemLib that you can have, because RemLib has to wait until Eastern has finished to install the hook in icon.library or probably in icon_lib.exe.
Thanks for the info

Quote:
Don't start RemLib from the user-startup, it didn't work for me if I want both, nice icons in Dopus4 and in Eastern. Start RemLib from the end of the startup-sequence, but with a "Wait 2" or more, maybe you need a "Wait 10" in the line above RemLib.
As I said to me it works great as a user-startup and I see perfectly the icons from Dopus4 without using "Wait" with your icon.library

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 19 June 2020 at 12:31.
Old 19 June 2020, 12:36   #3435
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
Instead of doing RemLib in the startup-sequence or user-startup you can also check it out in a shell window after the Workbench has finished booting and you have tested Eastern. Just enter "RemLib icon.library" without ">NIL:" to see if it really works and then test Dopus IconInfo for colors.
As told to me RemLib works well as a user-startup, I deleted ">NIL:" and received the message "Icon.library Resident removed" and "Icon.library removed".

I enclose Video where you can see the difference with and without the "RemLib" command on Dopus4 icons Dual-PNG/OS4

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xGt...ew?usp=sharing
Old 19 June 2020, 12:45   #3436
PeterK

Yes, RemLib in the user-startup lets Dopus4 display nice icons, but Eastern won't work anymore. And now I give up, since it seems that I can't explain it to you ...
Old 19 June 2020, 13:08   #3437
AMIGASYSTEM

Excuse me on Eastern i don't speak anymore, anyway i understood well what you told me, I just wanted to show that with Dopus4 you can see the icons also with the Double Click, which is not easy for Dual-PNG icons that were seen as PNG images

Just one question, but with AfA OS work for you Dopus4 + Eastern on AfA OS ?
Old 19 June 2020, 13:12   #3438
PeterK

Yeah!
Old 19 June 2020, 13:20   #3439
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
Yeah!
You can attach your startup-sequence so I can study it, Danke Schoen !
Old 19 June 2020, 13:21   #3440
Weaselrama
Registered Voter

Quote:
Yes, RemLib in the user-startup lets Dopus4 display nice icons, but Eastern won't work anymore. And now I give up, since it seems that I can't explain it to you ...
@PeterK

If I understand him correctly - with the caveat I could be full of crap - it doesn't sound like he's all that interested in whether Eastern works or not - he himself doesn't use it. He just wants DOPUS 4 to work.

I have the opposite interest: I don't care whether DOPUS 4 displays my 32bit icons correctly in iconinfo. I think I'd rather have Eastern generate better-looking thumbnails. I'm slowly playing catch-up in this thread as I was focused on finding a TTF importer that supports anti-aliased fonts using the scheme Bernd used - he certainly didn't use AfA's own TTF_Manager, but as @James realized, he must have used the earlier FTManager that TTF_Manager is based upon which shoves the TTF in SYS:Fonts/truetype. You can set TTF_Manager to SYS:Fonts/truetype but it won't copy the TTF there. It copies the TTF plus the otag and font files all to SYS:Fonts. Some kind of bug but I digress.

Ok: Now I'm catching up with this discussion and just grabbed RemLib but as I understand it, I won't use it because it defeats the purpose - Eastern won't work unless I use AfA's icon lib - am I understanding you correctly?

I've been playing with the tooltypes before I send it to WBStartUp. SQ=BEST looks great on lower definition pics such as the Demo screenshots and Pouet logos I collect. However on hi-res photos, the quality isn't as good as I'd like. I hope I'm not misinterpreting the tooltype or its purpose. I tried using 64x64 thinking a smaller icon would visually improve but not in this case. So I went with 256x256. I realize you're not the developer so I appreciate your patience with me.