English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > abime.net - Hall Of Light > HOL suggestions and feedback

Old 28 September 2006, 19:02   #21
Marcuz

push my luck? i just say that the tool is unuseful imho, so no matter the means you use to get to the result, if you go this or that way, the outcome is still unuseful. as in any stats you would have a % of top rated names, the ones that almost everyone knows, a large % of more than sufficient names, and a lesser number, prolly, of insufficiest games: you can expect that everybody will give a vote to their favorite big names, few people will go vote the their crap.
what would that give you? what's the difference in having a shot to one of them abundant polls or top tens here at eab or elsewhere?
yea as the page-visits are already available at HOL, you could have the list of the most visited pages, and what would still give you this?
i said already that i would'n not check such a list or a vote list to choose the games to play, as i don't go playin every game stated in the hundreds of top ten of users here on the board.
if a want to play a game either i have in mind the kind of what i want and then i ask for suggestions, with some explanations of what they are, maybe, or i go random. or i can ask to HOL: i want a, say, 2 player game, from this year, wich has a whdload install.
you guys want a rating? feel free to implement it, really. it's not like it is my time that's used to code such a thing.
Old 28 September 2006, 20:36   #22
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

The definition of useless is something that offers no use. I would use it, therefore I would find it useful.

PROFOUND.
Old 28 September 2006, 22:06   #23
pbareges

Quote:
Originally Posted by marco pedrana
push my luck? i just say that the tool is unuseful imho, so no matter the means you use to get to the result, if you go this or that way, the outcome is still unuseful. as in any stats you would have a % of top rated names, the ones that almost everyone knows, a large % of more than sufficient names, and a lesser number, prolly, of insufficiest games: you can expect that everybody will give a vote to their favorite big names, few people will go vote the their crap.
what would that give you? what's the difference in having a shot to one of them abundant polls or top tens here at eab or elsewhere?
yea as the page-visits are already available at HOL, you could have the list of the most visited pages, and what would still give you this?
i said already that i would'n not check such a list or a vote list to choose the games to play, as i don't go playin every game stated in the hundreds of top ten of users here on the board.
if a want to play a game either i have in mind the kind of what i want and then i ask for suggestions, with some explanations of what they are, maybe, or i go random. or i can ask to HOL: i want a, say, 2 player game, from this year, wich has a whdload install.
you guys want a rating? feel free to implement it, really. it's not like it is my time that's used to code such a thing.
thanks ! any project needs a challenger... so you're voted (rated?) top rating project challenger...!! you raised a lot of good points...the most valuable one being the fact that most people will mainly vote for their preferred games..so why don't we change the collecting process....instead of letting people rate the games they want, if they want to contribute to the rating, the server is choosing randomly a game in the base and asks for a rating..if the user knows the game, he rates it, else he passes and a new randomly chosen game to be rated is displayed to him......what do you think ?
Old 29 September 2006, 03:25   #24
Marcuz

as i said friend, i would, let's say, question the utility of the rating. someone, it seems, like you, KG and others would effectively use it. so, if i have to say a good meaning to collect the votes is to be found, well the one you propose is good. (ok a registration or login on EAB could force you to give a vote to all the thousands of games in HOL, but fortunately HOL would ban you after the first about hundred ) there is also the possibility the random game is not known to the user tough.
in your previous post you say one of the appointed user would be an amiga newbies, in that case a voluntary based collection of votes, while completely off for the fewer voted games, would give an ideaon what to play among the most voted games (the ones that are usually most nomined in the polls here).
the page' visists are not affidable them too, because some page are really recent and other are there from the start. the problem with statistics is they are to be large enough, complete and even then unaffidable. see what happens with stats and even exit polls at any election.
however, your suggestion is a fresh one, i give you that.
Old 29 September 2006, 04:21   #25
Marcuz

also, check who said what! (and it's the reason i said i was rethinking the idea, earlier on this thread):
http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=81707&postcount=5