English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 28 October 2002, 07:13   #1
fiath

CAPS Update (28 October 2002)

Hi Guys,

Well you heard it here first as always. There is a new CAPS WIP up today.

http://www.caps-project.org

Any questions, just post here.
Old 28 October 2002, 08:08   #2
AmiGer

When will the dumped games be released ? Is there any chance that the games will run with winuae soon?
Old 28 October 2002, 11:41   #3
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Re: CAPS Update (28 October 2002)

Quote:
Originally posted by fiath
Hi Guys,

Well you heard it here first as always. There is a new CAPS WIP up today.

http://www.caps-project.org

Any questions, just post here.
Fascinating stuff, man. Really enjoyed the WIP. Amazing how far along you are coming with all of this! I bow my head in total respect!
Old 28 October 2002, 13:15   #4
fiath

Quote:
Originally posted by AmiGer
When will the dumped games be released ? Is there any chance that the games will run with winuae soon?
I can't give you any specific dates, however things are going very well indeed at the moment. They will be playable in WinUAE - but again, I can't tell you when. Obviously we the closest that we have ever been to releases, but it will be at least two more months before we are ready - probably longer.

Please note, when we start releasing images - it will not be a huge deluge of the 2000+ games that are dumped. Each one has to have all the box artwork and manuals scanned before release - so they will come one at a time - but hopefully quite regularly.
Old 28 October 2002, 13:17   #5
fiath

Re: Re: CAPS Update (28 October 2002)

Quote:
Originally posted by Twistin'Ghost
Fascinating stuff, man. Really enjoyed the WIP. Amazing how far along you are coming with all of this! I bow my head in total respect!
Thanks

However, all credit should go to the people behind the scenes. I just write up the status reports. I will pass it along though!
Old 28 October 2002, 14:53   #6
jmmijo

Great read Fiath
Old 29 October 2002, 16:03   #7
Bernd

Quote:
Please note, when we start releasing images - it will not be a huge deluge of the 2000+ games that are dumped. Each one has to have all the box artwork and manuals scanned before release - so they will come one at a time - but hopefully quite regularly.
I am not sure if I am understanding this correctly, but does this mean that also contributors of dumps won't be able to play the games on emulators unless they provide scans of all the paperwork? Or can the files generated by the dumping tool later be used in UAE without having them analyzed and/or modified by the Caps team?
Thanks.
Old 29 October 2002, 17:50   #8
Guede

Thumbs up

Excellent stuff Faith. A well worthwhile project indeed. Your WIP made for a good read, and I wish you the best of luck with this endevour. I cant wait to see the results.
Old 30 October 2002, 07:26   #9
fiath

Quote:
Originally posted by Bernd
I am not sure if I am understanding this correctly, but does this mean that also contributors of dumps won't be able to play the games on emulators unless they provide scans of all the paperwork? Or can the files generated by the dumping tool later be used in UAE without having them analyzed and/or modified by the Caps team?
Thanks.
Yes and no. Basically the idea was that games that we do not have scans for will be lower priority for release. We own thousands of games ourselves and will scan them as we go. For games that do not have scans, we will probably list them on the website as "waiting on scans for release" - then people can contribute and we can release the game.

There a couple of forseeable exceptions:

1) Companies that just want to provide their games on the website - the dumps will go out even if we do not have the scans.

2) If a game is really rare and we don't think we will be able to get scans for it - or at least a long time.

However you do raise a good point - one we didn't think of. We will have to discuss it. Thanks for your input! I don't think it will be much of a problem to start with though - seeing as many games will have to wait purely because we need to find the time to get to them.

Disks dumped by the dumping tools will never be playable in UAE. no. There are various reasons for this as listed in the Feb 02 WIP (I think) - basically we want to make sure the images are 100% true to the original, not modified, error'ed or have a virus. There are also some technical things preventing it - dump files were never designed to be runnable and contain data only really pertinent to (in a form for) analysation.

Last edited by fiath; 30 October 2002 at 07:31.
Old 30 October 2002, 07:27   #10
fiath

Quote:
Originally posted by Guede
Excellent stuff Faith. A well worthwhile project indeed. Your WIP made for a good read, and I wish you the best of luck with this endevour. I cant wait to see the results.
Thanks I will pass your good wishes to the other people in the C.A.P.S. team that actually do the work.
Old 30 October 2002, 09:11   #11
Marcuz

it sounds really great. maybe i'll get me more time to enjoy one game at time. thanks
Old 30 October 2002, 14:26   #12
Bernd

Quote:
Yes and no. Basically the idea was that games that we do not have scans for will be lower priority for release. We own thousands of games ourselves and will scan them as we go. For games that do not have scans, we will probably list them on the website as "waiting on scans for release" - then people can contribute and we can release the game. [snip]
Thanks again for the detailed information. It has to be said that you are always doing great PR work !

Personally I think (when everything is running) you should in every case provide contributors with working disk images of the games they sent in. You could add the request not to spread it if this is of importance to you. Otherwise the motivation would be quite low if they would have to scan any paperstuff and manuals too only to get an emulator ready backup of their games. If you would not do so - not the supporters would benefit by donating, but any inactive dudes who *laugh* as they had no hassle but can leech all the stuff from alt.binaries... It should not result in this scenario.

Recently I created some more rare dumps with your tool. Hope you still require original "Paperboy"... Will upload the stuff later and e-mail you...
Old 31 October 2002, 02:52   #13
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

WHOA! Just the thought of Bernd dumping his rarities from his collection is enough to leave me in a state of euphoria!
Old 20 November 2002, 15:56   #14
Fissuras
Old Luny

Talking about dumps, there is this guy selling some boxed amiga games. Nine games exactly: Darkman - Elf - Epic - Lethal Weapon - Nightbreed - Push Over - Addams Family - Disposable Hero - Lotus III.

If this can be of any help I can buy them, scan the manuals, dump the games, or whatever is needed...
Old 20 November 2002, 16:07   #15
Fissuras
Old Luny

Pic of the games:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	f.jpg
Views:	424
Size:	21.5 KB
ID:	4110  
Old 20 November 2002, 16:12   #16
jmmijo

Nice looking boxes there Fiss, I assume the manuals are just as clean looking
Old 20 November 2002, 18:29   #17
fiath

Quote:
Originally posted by Fissuras
Talking about dumps, there is this guy selling some boxed amiga games. Nine games exactly: Darkman - Elf - Epic - Lethal Weapon - Nightbreed - Push Over - Addams Family - Disposable Hero - Lotus III.

If this can be of any help I can buy them, scan the manuals, dump the games, or whatever is needed...
Cool!

That would be very handy if you could. How much were you planning to pay? I hope it is not too much.

Anyway, remember you need 68020+ KS2.0+ 2Mb+ Amiga to dump the games with CT. (a A1200 is just fine)

As for scanning:

All scans should be 300 dpi and *at least* 80% quality JPEG's (though I do mine at 85%). If any of the manual is of low colour/detail then save it as PNG, because JPEG doesn't handle that very well. If we can get them, we scan *everything*. All sides of the box (unless north/south east/west sides are the same), disk, protection cards etc.

I know it is a lot of work, but it will all be worth it in the end!

For more information (and getting CT - C.A.P.S. Transfer - the dumping program) please shoot a mail off to: contributions@caps-project.org

Thanks!
Old 20 November 2002, 19:30   #18
BippyM
Global Moderator

Out of curiosity you scan all 4 sides of the box, is this so you can "rebuild" the box virtually, and move it around in real time with the mouse?
Old 20 November 2002, 20:42   #19
fiath

Haha.

It is so preservation is complete. I don't think after that, that there will be an ounce more we can do for each game (other than finding all the different versions/languages).

As you probably noticed from that gameinfo.xml I posted in another thread - this will allow fontend writers to (say) create a 3D box - and all the nice stuff that may come with that.

I don't think we have any plans to do this ourselves atm - too much time is taken up by finding every game ever released for the Amiga. This is what the gameinfo.xml's are designed for - to enable people to do amazing stuff with the "content" that comes out of C.A.P.S. - done by other people probably better than we could ourselves anyway.

Just imagine - forget the frontends - why not build a complete Amiga encyclopedia (program) - an Almanac - every game, with everthing that came with it accessable with the click of the mouse...

Well, that is my idea of heaven anyway.
Old 20 November 2002, 21:39   #20
Antiriad
The Sacred Armour Of

Fiath,

Do you have a list of Amiga Games you need scans of? Id like to contribute in some way to this.

Oh, and was that an Amstrad monitor you had with Cody at that exhibition in the summer???