English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 25 October 2006, 14:45   #21
JonSick

Any future of the amiga lies only in the home video game market IMO. That's where commodore shifted the most product to, that's what people in general owned an amiga primarily for... that's all the brand is really that well known for.

Make it a multifunctional home unit with a price to rival your average everyday PC and you got something.

Otherwise, just tell that cleaner to put the post-it note back in the trash and hope things will go away!

Jon
Old 25 October 2006, 14:49   #22
blade002
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred the Duck
You sure talk a good talk. THAT'S IT.
Talk.
Huh?

I dont know how you can speak for me or for Pyromania in his goals. Yeah he is talking and thats all it is for now, but you dont know him personally nor do you know his full plans, and of course either do I.

At least he is trying to do something thats positive, and if nothing comes of it, then so be it, nothing comes of it, but you are not him, and you dont know how much drive or ambition he has when it comes to making this work.

We may never see the fruits of his labour, but then yet, maybe we might.

Here's hoping we do

There is nothing wrong with aiming too high. If he has the balls, the right plan and the money to do it, then he might just do it!.
Old 25 October 2006, 16:05   #23
DDNI
Targ Explorer

Send a message via ICQ to DDNI Send a message via MSN to DDNI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred the Duck
You sure talk a good talk. THAT'S IT.
Talk.
Holy shoot! did Fred the Duck actually post something that wasnt Gay and Off Topic? Damn maybe he is confused and his post was meant to be funny??
Old 25 October 2006, 20:56   #24
Ultron
Something

Calm down disbeliefers!

Just TWO more weeks!

On schedule and rockin'!
Old 25 October 2006, 21:12   #25
snowman040

What two more weeks ?
Old 25 October 2006, 22:00   #26
Unknown_K

Send a message via ICQ to Unknown_K
Amiga, Inc. has been milked for a decade now, its nothing but a joke nobody takes seriously. Why anybody would want to buy it is beyond me, why not just make something compatible to it and go from there.
Old 26 October 2006, 05:49   #27
Computolio

jesus fucking christ people PUT IT IN THE PUBLIC FUCKING DOMAIN ALREADY.
Old 26 October 2006, 07:51   #28
Unknown_K

Send a message via ICQ to Unknown_K
Why pay for something and then throw that investment away by putting the IP into public domain?
Old 26 October 2006, 09:05   #29
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultron
Calm down disbeliefers!

Just TWO more weeks!

On schedule and rockin'!

Old 26 October 2006, 12:09   #30
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

@pyromania

In all honesty Good Luck on the aquisition of Amiga-Inc!. I wish you and the DFX team all the best for it and the future

so now what tasty ideas have you got for Amiga and the Community?
Old 26 October 2006, 19:01   #31
Pyromania

@Zetr0

The idea is simple, SHIP IT!

@Fred the Duck

I can understand that you might be jaded, it has been 12 long hard years since the death of Commodore.

Thanks everyone for the kind words and support, we are Amiga freaks just like you. We are going to have a few Amiga's in the "Oil Change" The Movie. Don't forget DiscreetFX was the only company in the world that was able to get and give away the source-code to the Amiga Video Toaster Flyer. NewTek agreed to let us do it after we stayed on the hunt for it for years.
Old 27 October 2006, 00:38   #32
shpinktaar

I think this just makes you wonder if Bill McEwan's recent publicity and acquisitions (namely Ruksun Tech) is an attempt at portraying Amiga Inc as more valuable and capable than it really is. If this is the case, I certainly hope that DiscreetFX doesn't fall for it.

On that note I really don't know if DFX can afford to produce anything for the Amiga, and the last thing we need is another bankrupt owner.

I say give it a shot though because there's not that much more damage that can be done... and hell if it does go belly up then maybe, just MAYBE it'll go open source.

I think if the acquisition does go through, and they manage to keep consumer hardware costs low, make the OS relatively clean and personalizable, focus on cross-platform programs and filetypes (ie. .doc),on hardware emulation, and even maybe use solid-state memory to their advantage (because load times of WinXP and other OSes is BRUTAL even on dual-core cpus), then it has a good chance at success. But one thing that bugs the hell out of me about linux that AmigaOS has to avoid in all future releases is lack of driver support.

Last edited by shpinktaar; 27 October 2006 at 00:51.

Old 27 October 2006, 01:20   #33
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

@pyromania

AWSOME!

@shpinktaar
You know it would just be nice to see a cross-platform OS thats all I want, yeah i hear you say linux... I have linux on many a platforms here... all it does is reminds me of what i miss on the amiga....
Old 27 October 2006, 03:28   #34
shpinktaar

I think I'm just going to say it again, not to spam, but to expand on what I said in my earlier post... I swear to friggin' god or allah or whatever you believe in, that if DiscreetFX purchases Amiga INC... they'd better damn well make sure that ANY hardware released to be used on the amiga MUST ABSOLUTELY submit their drivers to Discreet FX Amiga Div whereupon the Amiga Div WILL immediately upload the driver to something like amigadrivers.com.

... and offer point incentives to people who write drivers for unsupported devices. Points could be redeemed later for access to pre-release material, beta programs, promotional materials, passes to HQ, invitations to shit, whatever... they could even have agreements with software developers and hardware manufacturers to offer free stuff, or wave various fees, gift certificates... but there HAS to be support for the next OS, and users should be able to select whatever devices they want to use.

there's a lot of things that if the next Amiga owner wants to do, could make it a wonderful system for everyday consumers.

Last edited by shpinktaar; 27 October 2006 at 03:36.

Old 27 October 2006, 06:31   #35
blade002
Zone Friend

Im only 1 man Pyromania, but if you need any help within my means, then let me know!.

EVERYONE !!!... PITCH IN AND SUPPORT PYROMANIA!!!...

Yeah sure we arent mega corporations with millions of dollars, but lets help PYRO as much as we can!.

Throw what we believe from the past aside, because the past does not equal the future!.

And if you all think i sound like a naive twat, then go right ahead!!!.. it doesnt matter..
Old 27 October 2006, 09:15   #36
amiga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetr0
@pyromania

AWSOME!

@shpinktaar
You know it would just be nice to see a cross-platform OS thats all I want, yeah i hear you say linux... I have linux on many a platforms here... all it does is reminds me of what i miss on the amiga....

UAE is cross-platform. Use that instead of awaiting yet another company, who
"will bring the amiga to its former glory. blah. blah. blah..."
Old 27 October 2006, 09:52   #37
shpinktaar

Not quite what I'm looking for.

Old 27 October 2006, 10:53   #38
Marcuz

Quote:
Originally Posted by blade002
EVERYONE !!!... PITCH IN AND SUPPORT PYROMANIA!!!...

but lets help PYRO as much as we can!
that's exactly what i have done, by saying that i would not in 2006 and over buy anithing amiga if it would not something completely modern, outstanding, smart, useful, with very good probability of being long term suppoerted by producers
what do you think, that amiga when it came out wasn't all that things mentioned? it was very good and it had success because it was living in its time or it was even ahead of it. i don't say that a piece of new hardware should tag along the overwhelming run of hardware upgrading and technology but that it should be contemporary to its users.
would you buy now for xmas a 10 years old cell phone with the intent of actually using it? would you spend real money on a old 386 pc? would you prefer a modern little city car or a 15 years old car if they are both used for driving? of course exemples have lame legs, however:
these are legit questions that an user may ask and that Pyromania, notwithstanding my best wishes for his company, have to answer (not to me) if he want to have a sane business proposal.
Old 27 October 2006, 11:04   #39
Charlie
. . Mouse . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetr0
@pyromania

AWSOME!

@shpinktaar
My feelings too.

I want an OS that does it's job, free of all the 'value-added' bull that has no relevance to most users sitting @ home.

XP can be that, but stripping out all the crap is a pain & won't be possible with Vista.
Linux is endlessly configurable, but will always remain a mystery to me because of the leagcy of its roots.
OSX - Isn't Apple just another A-Inc, but never went bust?

Ranting again...

On-Topic: All the best pyromania.

Would you plans involve getting AOS4 ported to ( horror-of-horrors ) x86?
That would make me VERY happy.
Old 27 October 2006, 11:22   #40
shillard

Quote:
Originally Posted by blade002
Thats what the majority of people do in their lives. They aim low.. too low, and they never achieve what they set out to in life, because they say to themselves " Im being realistic " which basically means, it too hard so why even try.

This kind of attitude get no-one anywhere, and if we all thought that way, the world would never have changed.

Nothing kooky about it at all... The man has a goal, and if he told himself " I'll just be realistic ", then he would never start!. Its what we tell ourselves that makes things fail. All of our internal bullshit.

Yep sure, its going to be a hard job, and maybe he wont make it, but then maybe he will hey.. and wouldnt that just break your pessimistic heart.
Ah, the voice of experience.

I'd be interested in learning what lofty goals you have set and achieved in the face of adversity, to be so sure of your opinion?

Please - share with us all.

When you're done, since you're so keen on the imminent Amiga resurrection, perhaps you would be interested in buying the Sydney Harbour Bridge off me? Or these magic beans I've had laying around for some time....

Seriously dude, get off the grass.