English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Requests > request.Other

Old 20 March 2018, 15:24   #101
TrashyMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmsj View Post
It's hosted on Weebly, who should respond to a DMCA request, which you are entitled to make as a copyright holder.
It's not hosted on Weebly, a web page with a link to a torrent file is hosted on Weebly.

Not that I 100% agree with what is bundled on Coffin OS, just saying attacking the website won't shutdown anything.
Old 20 March 2018, 15:30   #102
guibrush

I think that anybody using Coffin will be happy to buy fusion legally. I personnaly already have a licend bought when the software was on sale. But what about the new customers ?
Old 20 March 2018, 15:50   #103
E-Penguin
Banana

One of the things I'd particularly like to do with my Vampire is run MacOS so that I can run Settlers II (I'm not a very exciting person). I'm sure others would happily buy a licence for a Vampire-specific version providing AMMX enhancements.
Old 20 March 2018, 16:14   #104
Sinphaltimus

Coffin comes with a Demo of Roadshow - I purchased a license as a direct result. So I think looking to turn this into a positive may not be such a bad idea.
Old 20 March 2018, 16:41   #105
Mr-Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinphaltimus View Post
Coffin comes with a Demo of Roadshow - I purchased a license as a direct result. So I think looking to turn this into a positive may not be such a bad idea.

Even better you can make this a platform for selling software, use the limited or demo version of the software and if like buy full version with direct links to the site of the seller/holder of the copyrights to purchase a direct license.

The same could apply for this very complete beyond OS3.9 config.
I build my own config that was a lot of work, took me months to build a config from scratch and i can imagine most don't want to take all that effort, they just want to install and be on the go ASAP.

Although i do know the whole rights situation is kind of complicated but it would be a very nice if this could be turned into an official Amiga 68K install as successor of OS3.9.

But this probably will not happen and we keep stuck in the same limbo we are for many years now
Old 20 March 2018, 22:22   #106
Overflow

I also purchased Roadshow due to my Vampire.

I do support active develops.

So there is an oppurtunity to MAKE money instead of wasting resources.
Old 20 March 2018, 22:45   #107
Crom

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDrew View Post
I see that the creator/distributor is Gunnar, so I have contacted him to tell him that he needs to immediately remove my copyrighted material.

What is interesting to me is that I just had another Amiga developer pissed that their program is also contained in the image. So perhaps there will be some joint action necessary.
Well... I can tell you this. Emplant and Fusion really helped me back in the day and if there was a way to get a new updated copy of it I'd sure do it in a heartbeat. I think many of us would!
Old 20 March 2018, 22:46   #108
Crom

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Penguin View Post
One of the things I'd particularly like to do with my Vampire is run MacOS so that I can run Settlers II (I'm not a very exciting person). I'm sure others would happily buy a licence for a Vampire-specific version providing AMMX enhancements.
Pffft a VAMPIRE Specific version! I'd fart with glee over that! Imagine it... AMMX support, Improved SAGA support... man o man.
Old 21 March 2018, 00:10   #109
Sinphaltimus

There was some chatter on IRC today about optimizing ShapeShifter for vampire since it's free and the source code is available. Actually, I'm pretty amazed at all the things they've been talking about optimizing for Vampire. Right now I'm excited about removing SD NET next and putting the ethernet module on the expansion port. That's coming in full detail with core 2.9 as they extensively test and tweak the new driver. And then USB coming which will be freaking amazing. I will be able to dump my USB mouse adaptor and USB KB adaptor then simply connect the Amiga to my KVM. No more dual mouse/KB on my desk. Of course USB HDD access too. So many great things happening. It's hard not to be excited everyday. I have not used my Amiga daily like this since the late 90s. I actually started making basic music in OctaMed again. I'll be purchasing a midi adaptor soon, within a month or so. And RTFM'ing the hell out of the octamed manual.

Last edited by Sinphaltimus; 21 March 2018 at 00:12. Reason: fixed typos
Old 21 March 2018, 00:58   #110
Lemaru

USB support is my want! That'd be sweet, just hoping that the driver also accounts for using it on a v600 via SD slot and breakout board.

Gunnar did say the SD slot and exp port should be able to each handle two devices. The expansion port is just SPI so no reason why it shouldn't work. Just means not being able to use the SD slot for storage. I can live with that
Old 21 March 2018, 04:01   #111
JimDrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by demolition View Post
I also doubt that Gunnar is the guy maintaining ApolloOS/coffin. I guess that he could just be acting dumb, but some of his comments on IRC clearly indicated that while he had tried the image, he did not know many details about how it was set up and what was included. I also think that he'd rather spend his time improving the CPU core.
The Apollo website appears to be registered to Gunnar, so that would make him responsible for it's content, including downloadable files. There is clearly enough case precedence here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by demolition View Post
So Jim, what is the legitimate way of obtaining Fusion/PCx today?
Today, there isn't a legitimate way. However, I will be releasing all new versions of FUSION and PCx in the near future that will be licensed to the end user (not actually sold), just like the original FUSION and PCx were.
Old 21 March 2018, 04:03   #112
JimDrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by guibrush View Post
I think that anybody using Coffin will be happy to buy fusion legally. I personnaly already have a licend bought when the software was on sale. But what about the new customers ?
Your license would be for the version of software that was contained on the floppy that you received. It has never been legal to copy or include FUSION, PCx, or any other software I have copyrights to. So, your license would not be valid for any other disk (or illegal archive).
Old 21 March 2018, 04:11   #113
JimDrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crom View Post
Pffft a VAMPIRE Specific version! I'd fart with glee over that! Imagine it... AMMX support, Improved SAGA support... man o man.
I already have all of this, including a version of PCx that is Vampire specific. But I have to say I am extremely ticked to find that my software has been illegally placed in an archive provided by the Apollo team - ESPECIALLY because the cracked version is broken and could potentially make my product look bad.

So, at this point I am not too thrilled with even supporting the Vampire.

The Replay2 and 68060 daughter board will be released shortly, and there is an all new open source super fast (ala Vampire core) 68040 CPU/MMU/FPU core being worked on by a group of guys that will be able to run on Replay2's new big FPGA. I will definitely have support for the Replay options.
Old 21 March 2018, 08:27   #114
Lemaru

Quote:
The Apollo website appears to be registered to Gunnar, so that would make him responsible for it's content, including downloadable files. There is clearly enough case precedence here.
Whilst I agree that the software should be removed since you have requested it to be. It still stands that Gunnar is not responsible for Coffin/ApolloOS. The website may be registered to him but the files are neither hosted their, nor are they downloadable from there. It is a torrent file so technically it isn't hosted in one place, and it is also not maintained by the Apollo Team.

Good to hear you are considering releasing licensed versions though. It would be a shame to not support the Vampire due to the actions of some within the community. Remember, not everyone with a Vampire uses or even likes ApolloOS/Coffin

Last edited by Lemaru; 21 March 2018 at 09:31.
Old 21 March 2018, 08:52   #115
cmsj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemaru View Post
it is also not maintained by the Apollo Team.
are you sure?
Old 21 March 2018, 09:29   #116
Lemaru

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmsj View Post
are you sure?
Well it maybe by individual members of the team, but it is not maintained by "the team" afaik. And even if it were, then the files are not hosted on the Apollo Team site
Old 21 March 2018, 11:37   #117
Sinphaltimus

I saure wish my feedback requested topic wasn't hijacked over this. Could have easily went and started this whole thing over here -

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?...hlight=Vampire

or here

I'm just an end user fanboy.
Old 21 March 2018, 12:04   #118
Lemaru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinphaltimus View Post
I saure wish my feedback requested topic wasn't hijacked over this. Could have easily went and started this whole thing over here -

or here

I'm just an end user fanboy.
I did try and point him to the Facebook group and the Apollo Forums as doubt his concerns would be taken notice of where it can't easily be seen.

Regarding the original topic though. I can't provide feedback for the v500 but I do have a v600 v2 as own three A600s (and an A500 but it's not my machine of choice)

I think it's a great card despite the issues I suffered with it. These are more related to the fact it's the A600 version and the mounting mechanism used, so you will not encounter the same issues with the 500 version.

I previously had an Apollo A630 that I could never get stable so sold on to find the Vampire. I owned that card since new in 1998 so was a bit gutted to get rid of it but it was, at the tine, unusable in my machine. Having learnt from the issues I had with the Vampire I could probably have made the same adjustments and got it working but too late now. I did buy a Furia as a fill in whilst waiting for my turn in the waiting list. Annoyingly I was told my card was ready only a month after the Furia arrived so sold that on to a friend too. Kind of wish I kept that too as that was a great card.

Now I finally have the Vampire stable, following a socket change, my own mounting solution and sorting out the heat issues with some ventilation, I can't really complain about it too much.

I am not much of a games player on the Amiga anymore and more like to just reminisce with some of my old code, my old BBS setup, demos, mods and the like. Although this can all be done on WinUAE it is still more fun to be doing it on the real hardware

There a few things that have annoyed me... Mainly that I signed up early to get the card and when my turn was up the cards were beng assembled by a PCB manufacturer so the price almost doubled from what it was when I requested one. That's not anything hardware related, just an annoyance.

The main pro for me is the HDMI output and high resolutions. I can't wait for Gold3 so that all screenmodes can be put through HDMI. I was looking forward tot he Parasite adapter that they teased as that would of been a good temporary solution if they sold it cheap enough. But, alas, they never released it.

Cons with it, again you probably won't see due to the version difference. Main one at the moment following Gold2.8 is the lack of expansion port on the A600 version. And although it should be possible to still use expansions from the SD slot with a breakout board, nothing much has been said about this. Gunnar did respond in IRC saying it will be possible but guess that depends on the drivers. I do wish more stuff like drivers would be open source too. It allows for quicker and better development alot of the time, particularly in areas like this. It's not like the drivers are being developed commercially.

Then there's the constant arguments against Vampire which is why I don't really mention it in the Commodore Amiga Facebook group and stick the the Vampire/Apollo channels. Too much "it's not an Amiga", "it's emulation", etc etc. Gets annoying really. I mean, does it matter? It gets more people active in the Amiga scene and whilst it doesn't suit the needs for some, it does for others, yet they always got to have their say and argue it.

All in all though, and ignoring the cost, I love the card. Even with its flaws as I have enjoyed tinkering with it to resolve them.
Old 21 March 2018, 13:37   #119
E-Penguin
Banana

Quote:
I already have all of this, including a version of PCx that is Vampire specific. But I have to say I am extremely ticked to find that my software has been illegally placed in an archive provided by the Apollo team - ESPECIALLY because the cracked version is broken and could potentially make my product look bad.

So, at this point I am not too thrilled with even supporting the Vampire.
Your frustration is justified and understandable. But, please don't tar us all with the same brush... Many of us Vampire owners don't use Coffin and plenty of those that do have bought Roadshow as a consequence of that being available in Coffin as a demo.
Old 21 March 2018, 13:50   #120
daxb

If you want the best for all then talk to Gunnar and the author of ApolloOS/Coffin to take it down. They are responsible. Everybody (should) know that the package is illegal.

Last edited by daxb; 21 March 2018 at 14:02.