English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > abime.net - Hosted Projects > project.Green Amiga Alien GUIDES

Old 24 February 2009, 09:17   #141
Methanoid
Retired Quartex Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
I agree with you on both points:

-Can I (or any other) start posting (public) links to the whole lot? I'd like to.
(or indeed shove a .iso in the old ftp)

-I burned my bridges with the Amithlon.Open group many moons ago - I'm afraid I did one of those major-rant posts you can't really go back on...
...still the group's been around since the year dot so there's lots of useful tit-bits to find in 'stealth mode'.
Go on post away.. but also do tell me the username on the Yahoo group so I can read your 'rant' - I might be agreeing with it
Old 24 February 2009, 14:21   #142
Charlie
. . Mouse . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methanoid View Post
Go on post away.. but also do tell me the username on the Yahoo group so I can read your 'rant' - I might be agreeing with it
Shall post, then - may take me a bit...

My user name?
The funny thing is I can't remember exactly, it's been a long time...
...something like:
enalcclane
enallane
eilrahccharlie
Old 25 February 2009, 02:05   #143
Yoto
1 Potato to Spam´em all!

Just a question Charlie, if you dont mind.

Can i setup an Amithlon on an external 2.5 Usb HD?
One of my oldest portable PC´s has the right kind of hardware to setup the amithlon, but i still use it often, so i was thinking about using the external drive 2.5 HD as an USB boot device in the Bios, and start from there.
Old 25 February 2009, 12:18   #144
Methanoid
Retired Quartex Sysop

If someone has any idea where to get either the source for the AMithlon kernel (original OR Gary Colville modified) please get in touch. I have some ideas about how the kernel could be modified somewhat!
Old 25 February 2009, 12:32   #145
amiga

Quote:
If someone has any idea where to get either the source for the AMithlon kernel (original OR Gary Colville modified) please get in touch. I have some ideas about how the kernel could be modified somewhat!

Try this one:

http://www.a1k.org/download/area51/A...rnel300src.zip
Old 25 February 2009, 16:03   #146
Charlie
. . Mouse . .

@ Yotoxionomai:
Probably not I'm afraid.
Still, if your laptop's BIOS is VERY good @ spoofing USB-Boot drives as IDE then, maybe.
>this< may give some hope, have a dig about.

@ Methanoid:
Best of luck!

@ amiga:
Oh, well-done old chap!
Here's hoping for a Methanoid-shaped miracle.
Old 25 February 2009, 19:52   #147
sbeehre

i downloaded kens icons but how do i install them as a replacement for the current os 3.9 icons?
Old 25 February 2009, 21:36   #148
Charlie
. . Mouse . .

Ah, now it's something like this: Sorry no miggy in front of me ATM so this is going to be a bit vague:

With luck there's an installer somewhere in the package - no? Ok, it's going to be a tedious...

...the system icons go inside the system folder inside Prefs - you'll need to menu-click somewhere in the prefs folder & choose show-all. Now you can see the hidden folders & in one of those is where you put the replacements for the icons that 3.9 uses for files with no icon of their own, if you see what I mean...

...now for the really boring bit...

...every folder & app icon you want to change that already has it's own icon will need to be altered by hand! Menu-click over the 'object' you want to change, choose info & a window will appear with the old icon on the left. Drag the new icon to this & assuming it changes choose save & you should be done...
...next!
Old 27 February 2009, 11:14   #149
Methanoid
Retired Quartex Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by amiga View Post
Dead link

I have the "latest" official Bernie kernel (no Gary Colville) sources.

The idea is (in theory) simple. Run a comparison program, a DIFF program, that compares the two sources (the Bernie hacked kernel and a plain Jane Linux kernel as the sources for all Linux kernels are publicly available) and then you have the sources for the extras that Bernie hacked in.

Then (sounds easy eh?) you paste those changes into a current Linux kernel (not actually easy) and compile.

In theory you end up with a modern Amithlon kernel.

Now I am sure its not that simple and to be honest I cannot do it but in the absence of Gary Colville we need to see what we can do. We could at least start touting around Linux forums for someone to do it. After all, Linux is open source and done by the community.

So, no Methanoid=shaped=miracle, just a simple idea and some hope?
Old 27 February 2009, 13:36   #150
cosmicfrog
The 1 who ribbits

Send a message via MSN to cosmicfrog
sounds a good enough place 2 start Methanoid

would be great if it was that simple
Old 27 February 2009, 14:46   #151
amiga

Quote:
Dead link

I have the "latest" official Bernie kernel (no Gary Colville) sources.

The idea is (in theory) simple. Run a comparison program, a DIFF program, that compares the two sources (the Bernie hacked kernel and a plain Jane Linux kernel as the sources for all Linux kernels are publicly available) and then you have the sources for the extras that Bernie hacked in.

Then (sounds easy eh?) you paste those changes into a current Linux kernel (not actually easy) and compile.

In theory you end up with a modern Amithlon kernel.

Now I am sure its not that simple and to be honest I cannot do it but in the absence of Gary Colville we need to see what we can do. We could at least start touting around Linux forums for someone to do it. After all, Linux is open source and done by the community.

So, no Methanoid=shaped=miracle, just a simple idea and some hope?
@Methanoid:

On Aminet there's *this* DIFF program for linux kernel 2.4.35.3:

http://aminet.net/package/misc/emu/a...-2.4.35.3.diff

See if u can do something with it.
Old 27 February 2009, 15:07   #152
Charlie
. . Mouse . .

Best of luck Methanoid, keeping my fingers crossed for you. (and the rest of us)
Old 27 February 2009, 21:23   #153
tero

Hope you are successful...

I am using athlon 64 x2 3800+ with nvidiaFX 8600 and
i'm tired using vesa with bernies Kernel (Garys wont boot)
GFX runs faster on my K6 500 mhz with Erazor III

I tried for myself but failed ...

So i really really wish you the best!
so long Tero
Old 09 March 2009, 09:48   #154
Methanoid
Retired Quartex Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by tero View Post
I run it on 64 x2 3800+ 2Ghz without problems

Err, ok Sound won't work
but that's no CPU thing

May the Boing with you

Did you need to use MAXCPUS=1 in the config?
Old 09 March 2009, 17:23   #155
Methanoid
Retired Quartex Sysop

Summary: I got Amithlon CD (untouched) to boot on a modern board

I'd seen a claim on the AmithlonOpen Yahoo group from someone who had it running on a modern system but then stopped responding as soon as he was asked some questions. I tried building a USB stick to boot Amithlon which seemed to work (but that seems to have been a false hope) but after failing to get one supposedly compatible system to work (I think that may have been me now and not the system) I bought the self same mobo as the guy on the group - Gigabyte GA-945GCM-S2L

The mobo is based on Intels 945GC chipset which is one of the later chipsets to still have IDE (as we all know AMithlon doesnt like SATA much). In theory this MIGHT mean even more modern chipsets like G31/P31 may work in the same way (IDE only). Specs are pretty good (integrated GMA950 VGA, 2 PCI, 1 PCI-Ex1, 1 PCI-Ex16) and supposedly the integrated VGA runs AMithlon. Supports C2D CPU and by overclocking can run FSB1333 chips. It was actually a helluva lot better than that as it overclocked my E6400 to a FSB1600(400x4) for a speed of 3.2ghz (didnt try higher as 3.2 was my default with both systems I owned). Had to remove one 1Gb DIMM to get AMithlon to boot from CD (thats cos there is no MEM=512M on the CD boot). The system isnt quite built yet so I just had IDE DVD and Compact Flash IDE-HD attached. I didnt have to disable the onboard sound or LAN but they won't work in AMithlon (but I have a SB128 and compatible LAN card for the 2 PCI slots).

Another bonus - the HD3850 Radeon card I had seems to boot Amithlon happily (VESA mode no doubt) which means I can have a fast triple/quad boot system (XP,OSX,AMithlon and maybe Linux too).

Downsides? - I'd wanted to chuck in a PCI-Ex1 TV card (quad tuner) but its clear that the PCI-E slot fouls the DIMM slot so that's out!

End result - well its not finished but I have a 3.2Ghz Core2Duo system that seems to run Amithlon

Other notes - I have an interface on order - IDE to 2xSATA so I can use cheaper SATA kit but the machine will think its the slave and master on the IDE port. If I am feeling brave I may check and see if Amithlon can tolerate the SATA enabled in BIOS but I doubt it.

I'm gonna no doubt be bending CHarlie's ear about how to config the Amiga side since it's been MANY years since I used an AMiga in anger. I need to install the Amiga HD and set it to 512M so that I can still have 2Gb installed for XP/OSX usage.

So there you go... AMithlon doesnt need to be run on prehistoric hardware, semi-modern stuff can run it. Didnt even need to try Gary Colville kernels (another thing to try).

In a word - WOOT!
Old 09 March 2009, 20:37   #156
Charlie
. . Mouse . .

Fantastic!

By all means give me a PM or three...

...hmmm, I wonder about my daughter's Dell SX280. It's intergrated chipset is a sort-of ancestor of your's - might make a nice little 'Amiga'. The HDD is SATA atm, but maybe there's an IDE header on there too - it's old enough!
Old 05 April 2009, 13:09   #157
Xytec

Wheres the ISO Charlie?

I have AROS on one spare HD and look forward to trying Amithon on another but am a lazy so-so and would rather just do a fast install off a CD
Old 08 April 2009, 16:48   #158
Xytec

I've had tons of problems doing this.
First I had to download the HP flask disk boot programme (which is free) because I got no floppy drive.

Then I had to download the Virtual Floppy disk drive (also free) to run the disk programme and transfer it to my now bootable USB.

Then doing all the (alternate) walk thru, I have the HD in 3 parts like it says but when I press to activate the boot menu, for some reason it does it on my USB instead of my HD

I've given up for now and bought a brand new (old stock) Amiga, and I'll just play around on that for a while!!
Old 09 April 2009, 09:26   #159
Methanoid
Retired Quartex Sysop

I never got a USB Boot Stick to work.. on hardware that worked fine for booting from CD or HDD.. so I think that is a feature we have to live with. I did however get Amithlon to boot from my P35 mobo with JMicron IDE which was a BIG surprise... It seems almost anything works as long as you can kill all SATA controllers!!
Old 09 April 2009, 15:16   #160
Charlie
. . Mouse . .

Hello, chaps...
...I'm seriously considering doing an .iso.

The main down-sides are:
I'm lazy
Time is VERY limited
I've got my fingers in far too many pies
I'd like to hear from one of the mods regarding distribution of the full Amithlon package before I risk trouble for the BB by posting links etc...

It's not going to be a one-size-fits-all setup, Amithlon is just too picky. It's likely going to be:
Strait images of my AmithlonSYS and &76 partitions with instructions on how to install them onto an IDE HDD, how to install Grub, and what tweaks are likely to be needed for your system.

It will happen but have patience (lots probably)