English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 07 May 2013, 08:09   #421
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
i have found another typo, in the NPC_texts.amb, file 18. there is 5 text blocks in this file, and in the first sentence, you have $0090 characters in it, and it look like this :

" YOU SEE A YOUNG MAN WEARING SPECTACLES WITH SMALL ROUND LENSES. HE HAS MANY LARGE ROLLS OF PARCHMENT IN HIS ARMS AND LOOKS AT YOU ABSENTLY. . X "

I know thanks to reverse engineer that each sentence must finish with "20,00,20" sequence and not "20,00,20,58,20". this is garbage as only the text block length is taken in account by the game, this must be removed and as such text block size is now $008F

EDIT : argghh second sentence has another problem, the text block is $0051 in the file, when it's really only $0050 in length, this must be corrected too !
AdSense AdSense  
Old 08 May 2013, 02:13   #422
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

another one spotted : in file 57, in NPC_texts.amb, related to ketnar, the son of Kire and Dorina. There is a typo in text bloc A which is the same as the one met in the text of the grandfather cave spider thingy, there is an "|END ..." which is accounted in the whole text block. This is all wrong

original wrong text value : $0164
corrected text value : $015F

This explains what Hexaae sent me, and AlexH had noticed in the bugfixed readme,
about the part where ketnar explains to the group where his mother is living (it's present in the text), and the word to open the tree's door (schnism).
The game should originally crash since the text is not terminated correctly.

Last edited by dlfrsilver; 08 May 2013 at 02:14. Reason: update
Old 08 May 2013, 11:34   #423
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfrsilver View Post
This explains what Hexaae sent me, and AlexH had noticed in the bugfixed readme
Hexaae was helping me so the bug readme includes all his fixes.
Old 08 May 2013, 15:06   #424
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

the sansrie key bug corrected was not in what he sent me strangely, and he told me that you corrected it yourself.
Do you remember in which file the error was located in, and also can you hint me about the place where the places names shown when the automap is activated are located ?
it's not in the program code (i check for those), and i don't see which file can hold them (like city gates, wharf, tavern, etc etc).

the latest and most boring part await, as the 3map_texts.amb, with all the kire's text :P
Old 08 May 2013, 22:32   #425
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
the sansrie key bug corrected was not in what he sent me strangely, and he told me that you corrected it yourself.
He's remembering incorrectly. It was done by a Russian coder who created the Ambermoon tools I sent you.

Quote:
Do you remember in which file the error was located in
AM2_CPU and AM2_BLIT (obviously the game only uses one depending on what speed your CPU is).

Quote:
and also can you hint me about the place where the places names shown when the automap is activated are located ?
I don't know. Never have. You could ask Jurie Horneman?

Last edited by alexh; 09 May 2013 at 08:04.
Old 09 May 2013, 00:04   #426
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

ok, i just hope he will answer me

About the sansrie key, have you been able yourself to test the bugfix ?

if only those informations were available, it would allow me to not reinvent the wheel.....

i understand that you were not ok to release patches or even modified code program.
but many guys around could have been testing those new exes by finishing the game,
and today, aside the extraction-insertion tools, nothing remains (or seems so).

i'm not a coder, and still, ambermoon text script is the easier i've ever meet. it was made for easy translation, with no CRC, only specific instructions to follow and respect.

but well, ok, i'll contact Jurie thanks !
Old 09 May 2013, 00:37   #427
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
He's remembering incorrectly. It was done by a Russian coder who created the Ambermoon tools I sent you.

AM2_CPU and AM2_BLIT (obviously the game only uses one depending on what speed your CPU is).

I don't know. Never have. You could ask Jurie Horneman? He's a friend of mine on Facebook and a member of the Thalion facebook group.
i have not found him on facebook nor thalion facebook groupe
Old 09 May 2013, 08:09   #428
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
About the sansrie key, have you been able yourself to test the bugfix ?
No. Or at least I don't think so. It takes so much time to get from the start to the place where you test the fix. Unless I was sent a game-save near by at the time.

Unfortunately as I said I no longer have access to the emails of the time. And I don't remember the name of the original coder who did the fixes and made the tools. If I ever find the disc containing the lotus-notes database I will share them. But I fear that it has been thrown away.

Quote:
but many guys around could have been testing those new exes by finishing the game
1) You can finish the game without this patch.
2) I was certain I had shared it privately with people helping test. Perhaps I am mistaken.

Quote:
and today, aside the extraction-insertion tools, nothing remains (or seems so).
Plus the 10's of text patches written by the Russian coder who first helped, myself, Hexaae (and Meynef) and now yourself.

What I will do is I will release the "Ambermoon Walkthrough" written by Michael Böhnisch. It is a step-by-step guide to completing the game in incredible detail. It is concise, so hard not to get spoilers for the next section, but it has more information (in English) than any other source.

We can release it at the same time you release your French translation.

Last edited by alexh; 09 May 2013 at 08:18.
Old 09 May 2013, 10:21   #429
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Vitaly Grebenik ? maybe we could try to search him ?
Old 09 May 2013, 12:51   #430
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Vitaly Grebennik is the correct spelling...

His alias back then was "MetalliC".

https://groups.google.com/forum/?fro...ga/5HRvFVLTmvk

Last edited by alexh; 09 May 2013 at 15:42. Reason: He's NOT lordV
Old 09 May 2013, 16:43   #431
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

mail sent to Vitaly Grebennik !
Old 09 May 2013, 21:33   #432
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

You found an modern email address for him? The one I had was last active in 2004. No reply.
Old 10 May 2013, 00:29   #433
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

indeed i got a unknown user message and there is so many vitaly grebenik :'(
Old 10 May 2013, 08:22   #434
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

I've found him. Well posts from him to a forum in december 2012.

Let you know how I get on later

Last edited by alexh; 10 May 2013 at 08:27.
Old 10 May 2013, 09:12   #435
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

excellent !!!
Old 11 May 2013, 08:35   #436
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

i have discovered something really bad : most of 3map_texts.amb files in english are faulty, corrupted, or whatever which can make crash or bug the game engine.

So sorry Alex but the game even in english really needs to be cleaned up. There are so many files wrong ! tell me if you need any information to correct the english file.
Old 11 May 2013, 10:43   #437
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

If you are right, then how come so many people have played the game to the end with only a handful of fatal errors? No-one has reported the extent of crashes you are talking about here.

Explain technically either here or in a PM.
Old 11 May 2013, 14:10   #438
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

ok Alex be my guest then

here is the deal :

you have reported on the thalion webschrine many errors, script typos.
since i wanted to translate such a jewel in french, i needed at first to get the tools, and then to decypher the text script files.

from the errors corrected like the one about valdyn in luminor tower, i have then reverse engineered the text files.

Things happens like this, here is how i translate each text block and what is where in the file. This is script number 348 from 3map_texts.amb file

text decoding for block 348 :
header

0002,0010,00A2 ......
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0002 : Number of text blocks => here 2 blocs

0010 : text block 1 length

00A2 : text block 2 length

--------
BLOCK 1
--------

0000 => '20'+'RUINED TOWER+'20'+'00'+'20'

=> '20'+'TOUR EN RUINE+'20'+'00'+'20'

--------
BLOCK 2
--------

0000 => '20'+'ALL AROUND YOU LIE THE REMAINS OF WHAT WAS ONCE A SPLENDID BUILDING. THIS TOWER MUST HAVE BEEN SEVERAL HUNDRED FEET HIGH BEFORE IT COLLAPSED OVER THE OF YEARS.+'20'+'00'+'20'

=> '20'+'IL Y A TOUT AUTOUR DE VOUS LES RESTES DE CE QUI ETAIT AUTREFOIS UNE SPLENDIDE CONSTRUCTION. CETTE TOUR DEVAIT FAIRE TRENTE METRES DE HAUT AVANT QU'ELLE NE S'EFFONDRE AVEC LES ANNEES.+'20'+'00'+'20'

as you can see, aside the word missing between 'the' and 'of the years' how the script is made.

i met in the 3map_texts.amb container, files which have 11 text blocks declared, when only 10 are inside ! you bet the game engine hates this

I have also found files with a text declared, but nothing inside !

a text always start by byte '$20' and ALWAYS finish by 3 bytes : '$20','$00','$20'

any crap thing like '20,00,20,1A,5D,79' is a typo and hence must me corrected by '20,00,20', the '1A,5D,79' bytes are useless and not used by the parser, and prompt to corrupt the text parser which while being easy to understand, doesn't bear any errors.

example : the 0,0 coordinates crash due to the missing text block in the container 1Map_texts.amb related to the whirlwind.

the dwarfs part of the game is ridden of those typos, errors, wrong text block number, and so on, there is even the |END ... crap you found like in the spider text from the beginning of the game.

logically, if those typos were a problem in the beginning of the game, why wouldn't they crash the game later ?

To continue about the dwarfs part, which is huge, the texts are gigantic to translate, and so far, no players have really played the game in detail, only the main line, because i have discovered text lines or paragraph which would have never been displayed in the english release, or cause corruption in memory.

I'll post later a script file or two with crap inside them
Old 12 May 2013, 00:00   #439
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

i have a requested, who can send me his save disk or save files in order to test the different parts of the translated text and upload those in the zone ?

Thanks !
Old 12 May 2013, 08:00   #440
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

I applaud the work you're doing. I'm sure many people appreciate your efforts. (Or will do)

Quote:
i met in the 3map_texts.amb container, files which have 11 text blocks declared, when only 10 are inside ! you bet the game engine hates this
Have you checked the German 3map_texts.amb to see if there is either another text block or 10 declared? The last part is a guess?

Quote:
any crap thing like '20,00,20,1A,5D,79' is a typo and hence must me corrected by '20,00,20', the '1A,5D,79' bytes are useless and not used by the parser, and prompt to corrupt the text parser which while being easy to understand, doesn't bear any errors.
Mistake probably. Correctable yes. Cause a fatal error? The text parser could skip these extra bytes while looking for the next 20,00,20?

Quote:
example : the 0,0 coordinates crash due to the missing text block in the container 1Map_texts.amb related to the whirlwind.
This is not about 3Map_texts.amb is it ?

Quote:
the dwarfs part of the game is riddled withthose typos, errors, wrong text block number, and so on, there is even the |END ... crap you found like in the spider text from the beginning of the game. logically, if those typos were a problem in the beginning of the game, why wouldn't they crash the game later ?
Perhaps because they are never used? Or they are subtly different?

Quote:
To continue about the dwarfs part, which is huge, the texts are gigantic to translate, and so far, no players have really played the game in detail because i have discovered text lines or paragraph which would have never been displayed in the english release, or cause corruption in memory.
Pretty sure I did.

To prove this is real we'll try and do what you asked. Find a specific txt block which should cause a crash, I'll use the netsrak cheat to get to that point in very fast time and we'll test them.
AdSense AdSense