English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Off Topic > OT - Entertainment

Old 04 May 2016, 14:49   #1921
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

I've seen that movie and just as you described - interesting mix that without those actors would badly fail.

For those looking into classical SF movie, Forbidden Planet @ Archive.org.

A 1956 science fiction movie with cast including then young Leslie Nielsen, also well known for Robby the Robot.

Little Trivia: Star Trek Gene Roddenberry was well influenced with this movie while creating ST, Enterprise ID (1701) actually marks the time (17:01) C57D enters orbit around Altair IV.

Last edited by Anubis; 04 May 2016 at 15:07.
Old 05 May 2016, 15:12   #1922
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

Moderators/Admin asleep??
Old 06 May 2016, 08:28   #1923
jmmijo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
Moderators/Admin asleep??
Maybe they are, love this Arabic spam
Old 06 May 2016, 16:20   #1924
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

Something was wrong with it... it was from right to left, instead other way around?!

So, let's continue with classic SF movies, available on archive.org....

Logan's Run , one of my favorite movies when I was kid. Cameo by Sir Peter Ustinov as an old man, live under dome... just great movie.

Not to mention little bit of nudity...
Old 07 May 2016, 22:16   #1925
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Inside Out. It certainly won't ever be my favorite Pixar movie, but its quite clever nonetheless. It provides a very inventive view on what goes on inside our brains, trying to create a blend between reality and our brains just being a child's vision of a factory and magical fantasy land all rolled into one.

The best part of the movie where also most of the humor is to be found: seeing how every human trait basically has its own representation in this fantasy factory. Just don't expect a barrel of laughs, much like the first Cars the clever Pixar movies focus less on humor and more on making the impossible believable. Well: royally succeeded on that front
Old 09 May 2016, 16:01   #1926
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

Lewis Black is what make that movie really funny IMHO. His voice and comments are great. IMHO movie also focuses on how child cope with life change events, such as move etc.
Old 16 May 2016, 15:09   #1927
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

Saw with kids new Pan movie... reminded me of Knight's Tale, but instead of Queen's song, this time Nirvana - [ Show youtube player ]... 4 /10 is bit too generous...

Also saw new Captain America - Civil War - movie with wrong title. It should be Avengers 3, as most of characters are in there (except Hulk and Thor), but with Ant-men, Black Panther and Spiderman?! (all new one here)
Even you might know what will happen, there are few surprises and as in other marvel movies, lots of fun comments and scenes... worth watching on big screen. 8/10

Also we have seen another kidz movie - Cinderella - new version - much better than any other version, with some proper villain - Cate Blanchett as well other well portraited characters. Better then Pan, 6/10
Old 17 May 2016, 10:54   #1928
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzkat View Post
Kung Fu Panda 2: a sorry sequel, which lacks its predecessor's wit and charm and focuses purely on action, which gets mundane after awhile. A ho-hum villain doesn't help matters. Not a memorable movie at all - in fact, you can skip it without missing much. 3/10

Watched it this weekend, and enjoyed it quite a lot. I'm just going to have to go ahead and have the exact opposite opinion

7/10
Old 17 May 2016, 15:04   #1929
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post

Watched it this weekend, and enjoyed it quite a lot. I'm just going to have to go ahead and have the exact opposite opinion

7/10
Yep, that is thing with personal opinions... everyone is allowed to have one, no mater how wrong they are...
Old 23 May 2016, 13:26   #1930
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Captain America: Civil War

Really recommended to see before this one:

Captain America: Winter Soldier
Avengers: Age of Ultron
Ant Man

Look its an okay movie, but on the other hand I don't follow the hype at all. The most critical failure of the entire movie is already its opening with the most horrendously nauseating low-fps shaky cam scenes I have ever seen - this is worse than the Bourne movies even. For shame.

And other than that it is basically another Avengers movie but lacking a cool enemy - since it should be no surprise at this point that the enemy in this movie is disagreement which is fuel for a good number of really awkward superhero battle scenes - somehow it just falls really flat when people fight each other while still being best buddies.

This would have easily been the most boring Captain America installment if Spider-man, Ant Man and Vision didn't add some much needed humor and creative fighting tactics that you haven't seen a hundred times already. Especially the Vision character really shows that the character has a great deal of potentially awesome plot that is still to be developed around him. And I hope that will happen.

6/10. Can't give it a higher score with so many far more entertaining Marvel movies around.
Old 23 May 2016, 15:02   #1931
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
Captain America: Civil War

Really recommended to see before this one:

Captain America: Winter Soldier
Avengers: Age of Ultron
Ant Man

Look its an okay movie, but on the other hand I don't follow the hype at all. The most critical failure of the entire movie is already its opening with the most horrendously nauseating low-fps shaky cam scenes I have ever seen - this is worse than the Bourne movies even. For shame.

And other than that it is basically another Avengers movie but lacking a cool enemy - since it should be no surprise at this point that the enemy in this movie is disagreement which is fuel for a good number of really awkward superhero battle scenes - somehow it just falls really flat when people fight each other while still being best buddies.

This would have easily been the most boring Captain America installment if Spider-man, Ant Man and Vision didn't add some much needed humor and creative fighting tactics that you haven't seen a hundred times already. Especially the Vision character really shows that the character has a great deal of potentially awesome plot that is still to be developed around him. And I hope that will happen.

6/10. Can't give it a higher score with so many far more entertaining Marvel movies around.
It still was well entertaining movie, and with action and special effects, even without real enemy - among better marvel movies. Of course all this disagreement will vaporize once Thanos comes to claim what he think it is his to take...

Scene with giant-man was awesome, something I did not really expect... and spider man telling he was hit by big guy...

I finally saw Terminator Genesis and it was not that bad at all, probably because I was not expecting much out of it, or perhaps because of Emily Clarke (to bed cameras did not show her in regular HBO views we are all used from GOT ). Arnold is really getting old, and that disturbing smile... phunny ... btw, nice upgrade.

Just to mention, love that they included different timelines/universes, something often used in Star Trek series/movies and Stargate SG-1/Atlantis. This also makes it much easier to get more creative with further movies...

6/10
Old 29 May 2016, 09:55   #1932
Muzkat
Into the Wonderful

Ant Man was pretty good. Provided you don't take its events too seriously, and are okay with a few lines falling flat, it's a decent popcorn flick. The microscopic scenes are top-notch.

7/10
Old 30 May 2016, 16:16   #1933
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Random mode pick: Mr. Right.

Great fun! Guy Ritchie-esque characters, good humor.

7.5/10
Old 01 June 2016, 16:51   #1934
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

Finally managed to watch John Wick - and got surprised, as I did not expect this movie to place me into gloom reality of ex-assassin and so believable underground. Well done movie with action part that reminds me of Max Payne game meet Matrix, in cool way.

Also well done on Alfie Allen part (Theon from GoT) as spoiled boss' son.

Entertaining and enjoyable - 8/10.
Old 01 June 2016, 22:20   #1935
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Yeah I liked John Wick, good enough that I wanted a sequel to learn more about that universe - and I'm getting my wish.
Old 02 June 2016, 20:39   #1936
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

Yep, something I will like to see. BTW, have you guys seen preview and trailers for new Star Wars movie - Rogue One?
Old 02 June 2016, 21:39   #1937
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Of course I did Goosebumps.
Old 06 June 2016, 14:47   #1938
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

Did not intend to, but saw Angry Birds, and just as I was expecting it, it was not much of the movie... Few funny things, but mostly silly jokes with best stuff already showed in trailers. Not even Blake Shelton voice/music could save this one... This should have been made 3-4 years ago, when at least angry birds where popular. 3/10
Old 12 June 2016, 14:31   #1939
Muzkat
Into the Wonderful

Pride and Prejudice and Zombies: Started off as a gallant attempt at recreating the novel for the silver screen, but falls flat in its departure from the book and its attempt to make proceedings overly dramatic. The special effects are also alittle lacking, a sore reminder of how this film could have benefited from a bigger budget. As a lover of the literature it was based upon, I dearly wanted to love this film, but couldn't. 3/10.

The Martian: It's 2016's version of Apollo 13, and it compares favourably enough, even borrowing a few elements from it. It's got "inspiring Hollywood survival tale" written all over it, but despite this the film managed to lower my defences and suck me into its thrilling finale. Good stuff. 8/10.

Zoolander 1 and 2: Watched both for the first time recently, and enjoyed their brand of silly-humour. I think I liked the second one better, as there are more laughs, absurdity and celebrity cameos. I give them 7 and 8 out of 10 respectively.
Old 05 July 2016, 20:05   #1940
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

This weekend I saw Saw X-Men: Apocalypse. Nice addition to x-men universe, as long as you're into x-men, otherwise it might be bit boring at the times.

It can also be a bit overwhelming at the times with destruction and apparent no consequence afterward... but what to expect from movies like this...

7/10... keep in mind, I am bit biased toward x-men franchise...