English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Games

Old 05 November 2008, 12:26   #1
cosmiq

Populous strategy

Hellows,

I'm playing a few rounds of populous now and then. I'm wondering what strategy you guys are using to defeat the computer.

It's a little bit confusing sometimes. For instance, what is causing the rate of mana that is added to the pool? And why do I have to reduce ground by a castle to let my people come out? They just don't really listen when I use the goto-cross function for instance.

Is it always a good strategy to wait until the death-button comes available and use it only when I have a higher rating than the computer?

And who knows what the symbols in the shield (upper right corner) are meaning?

So many questions, and still such a good game
Old 05 November 2008, 16:25   #2
Rabbit80
Its hard being famous!

My strategy is simple - build shit loads of castles - then when I encroach upon the enemy I sink them... then build yet more castles

Reducing the ground near a castle reduces its size so the population within is too large for the smaller building. If you are patient, people will come out from your castles.

You will find that the goto cross function does work - however your people sort of combine on their way there and make a super strong person - once they make it and you have a leader you can knight him and he will go on a rampage!
Old 05 November 2008, 19:10   #3
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

i have a simple tactic with populas that seems to always work.

just build your land upto 3/4 high, and flood the enemy twice in quick sucession then just mop up the very few enemy survivors
Old 06 November 2008, 12:00   #4
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
Also earthquake helps you to flatten your own land. It is the big difference to Populous 2, where the earhquake is used as the mighty weapon.
Old 06 November 2008, 12:48   #5
Coagulus
Gets there in the end...

I used to build the landscape two blocks high and use earthquakes on the computer to flatten it to 1, then use the armageddon button!
Old 06 November 2008, 13:18   #6
cosmiq

Hmm nice tips here.. So if I use the goto-cross function, people will merge as they walk towards the cross. I suppose 'knighting' him means that I just push the helmet-sword button so that the strongest person (which is obviously the one that merged), is going to be the 'hero'?

I also still don't know the meaning of the symbols in the upper right corner (when using the question mark to follow a person, the veriety of weapons and the vertical progress bars when the little guy is fighting?)

Anyhow, these tips will sure help me winning a few more battles
Thanks!