English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Games

Old 19 September 2002, 04:11   #1
gary

Wings (with a cut-the-crap option?)

After playing Wings on a CD32 I had forgotten how much fun the flying sections of this game are. Unfortunately the other sections (Straffe / Bombing / Diary) are pretty boring and detract from the gameplay (IMHO).

I remember shortly after Wings was released someone wrote a patch which by-passed all of the 'interactive movie' parts of the game and just left the flying missions to play. It may have even been a type-in AmigaBasic program from a magazine.

Does anyone have that patch or a version of Wings that offers the ability to play the best part of the game and skip the rest?

Alternatively can someone with good programming knowledge help me find a way to change the code so that the game would not attempt to load the STRAF.BOLT / BOMB.BOLT files and just continue? I don't think the files are compressed so maybe I could hex-edit the files.
AdSense AdSense  
Old 19 September 2002, 07:33   #2
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

If you want a pure WW1 flying sim, you should check out Knights Of The Sky.
Old 19 September 2002, 07:46   #3
gary

I remember that. It had nice fast filled vector graphics, but what I found was a very annoying habit of 'dipping' the plane every few seconds. Having to keep pulling back on the joystick every 2 seconds was too frustrating. Then again didn't really put much time into playing it.

The main reason why I liked Wings was because of the dogfighting. I'm not really interested in flight simulators.
Old 19 September 2002, 09:33   #4
alkis21
Zone Friend

Send a message via MSN to alkis21
I didn't mind the bombing missions, but you're right, straffe were crap.
Old 19 September 2002, 10:02   #5
Miggy2TheMax

The strafing and bombing runs in the game is what helps you getting better attributes eg stamina,mechanics,accuracy. These attributes
are particularly used when you are dogfighting... I guess you will have give yourself perfect attributes, by using a cheat.

straffing can be a bit annoying, but overall I liked the game as a whole... gave it character and made it fun to play!
Old 19 September 2002, 10:17   #6
gary

Maybe I'm getting a little impatient as I get older.
The days when I was willing to swap 11 floppy disks continuously to play Monkey Islands 2 are long gone
Old 19 September 2002, 10:36   #7
alkis21
Zone Friend

Send a message via MSN to alkis21
Oh yeah, I remember that.. Remember that you had to switch disk just for that damn old guy to toot his horn?
Old 19 September 2002, 15:31   #8
Akira

I liked the arcadey sections of Wings more than the flightsimey ones.
Old 20 September 2002, 14:37   #9
Muzkat
Into the Wonderful

I loved all parts of Wings. I loved the strafing runs! Mowing down troops, blowing up bunkers, torching trains - wicked fun!

I always thought the "dip" in Knights of the Sky was intentionally done, to resemble a nice old WW1 plane which does NOT have the controls of a jet. I thought it added to the game's authenticity (although I have never flown a real WW1 plane - would love to do so, though.)

Another thing about control in KotS: I loved how damage inflicted upon your plane resulted in it handling even more unresponsively and clumsily.
Old 22 September 2002, 21:03   #10
Syko
Now got GSX750F :))

Same thing happens with wings. By the end of a straffing run, the bally crates got more holes than a swiss cheese! Handlings gets a bit hairy, but I say chaps, thats half the fun.
AdSense AdSense