English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 17 September 2009, 11:21   #1
Pheonix

WinUAE OS3.9 (BB2) & Picasso problem

I'm having a problem getting Picasso96 to work correctly. I have two installs for Picasso96, one I downloaded from Aminet and one I found on a HD floppy image file somewhere. Both work just fine (with and without the RTG.Library supplied by WinUAE,) for showing Picasso screens. The problem is when it switches back to an Amiga native screen.

With the Aminet version the screen gets squished a bit and moved up a bit. If you look at the "shift.jpg" file attached below and compare it to "normal.jpg" you can see what I mean. The pointer is sticking up just a bit from the bottom of the workbench and I moved the Dock to the top so you can see the effects there as well.

With the HD ADF image install the screen becomes totally corrupted when I return from a Picasso screen mode. I named that capture "crash.jpg" because there is no way to recover except with a reboot. With the Aminet version, if I open the "Overscan" preferences and then click on either text mode or graphics mode button (it doesn't matter which,) it puts the screen back to normal. I can then just click on cancel/cancel and go on. With the HD ADF version, you just cannot see enough to do anything except by blind luck.

Anyone know what's going on here? I'm saving my HDF file (with both Picasso versions completely removed,) for now and just starting on my install from scratch. Another problem that cropped up while I was taking those screen shots might be part of the problem. Even with picasso removed, if I click on "use" or "save" with any of my prefs (that offer them,) I guru out (Error: 8000 0005) now. If I saved, the settings are changed after the reboot, but the guru is still frustrating. Don't know when this started. Didn't notice it prior to installing Picasso96, but I also don't remember the last time I fiddled with any of the pref's either.

***Update***
Just finished doing a completely fresh install from the 3.9 CD. Without changing anything, I then installed both versions of Picasso96. They "both" now have the "shift.jpg" problem. Also, the guru crash no longer occurs. As far as I can tell, everything should be working just fine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	crash.JPG
Views:	314
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	22735   Click image for larger version

Name:	Shift.JPG
Views:	324
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	22736   Click image for larger version

Name:	Normal.JPG
Views:	276
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	22737  

Last edited by Pheonix; 17 September 2009 at 13:34. Reason: updating problem.
Old 17 September 2009, 20:36   #2
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pheonix View Post
I' They "both" now have the "shift.jpg" problem. Also, the guru crash no longer occurs.
shift and normal are identical images (and I don't see any problem)
Old 17 September 2009, 20:44   #3
Pheonix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
shift and normal are identical images (and I don't see any problem)
Ooops Somehow I accidently double saved the shift image as normal, and saved the normal image as untitled. Corrected image here. As you can see, the status/menu bar in "shift" (and "normal") when compared to the way it is supposed to look ("untitled" below,) is off the top of the screen. Also, the bottom of the workbench has been moved up a considerable amount (look at the mouse pointer peeking out from the bottom, compared to where the dock is on the "untitled" pic.)

***Update***
After more experimentation I discovered that the problem goes away if I set the WB native mode to PAL instead of NTSC (all my SW are USA versions, and thus NTSC mode.) Reading the log file, it looks like WinUAE is switching to PAL mode when a RTG screen is closed. This is supported in windowed view by watching the FPS reading. WB is set to NTSC (~60 FPS,) switch to RTG (~75 FPS,) switch back to my NTSC WB screen (~50 FPS, when it should go back to ~60 FPS.)

Also, the crash.jpg problem from my first post hits whenever I use P96Refresh to force a refresh rate. Stop using P96Refresh and it that problem goes away.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	untitled.JPG
Views:	254
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	22740  

Last edited by Pheonix; 18 September 2009 at 15:03. Reason: problem update