English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 18 August 2007, 23:57   #1
oneshotdead

Workbench 3.x OS in WinUAE

Where can I download (legally) JUST the Workbench 3.x OS (the GUI), for use in WinUAE? I assume it will come in *.adf format?

This is the one I would have used on my old A1200, correct?

What about other Workbenches for use in WinUAE? Which is "best"?

My intention is to do a WinUAE HDD install of the OS and run programs like Deluxe Paint, etc... as well as games.

(I live in Australia and can't find a retailer, so it makes me angry even more having to PAY for such an old OS over the net, especially considering I had all this stuff on my A1200 back in the day. If only I kept it, I would have the disks and I wouldn't have to pay greedy bastards for something they had no hand in making!)

Thanx guys! (sorry for all the Qs, and the rant in parenthesis)

EDIT:

lol

1. Amiga Forever 2006 Online Edition, $30 (113 MB)
2. Amiga Forever 2006 Plus Edition, $40 (485MB)
3. Amiga Forever 2006 Premium Edition $59 (TWO bloody DVDs!!! WTF)
4. Amiga Explorer 2007 $14 (2MB)

You have GOT to be kidding. Wasn't WB 3.0 on like several disks... so 4. is what I want? What's all this other bloatware? Does any of it have a use!? lol

Last edited by oneshotdead; 19 August 2007 at 00:11.
Old 19 August 2007, 00:35   #2
Marcuz

the GUI is part of the OS, the various custom installs, like ClassicWB or AmigaSYS just install themselves on top (or through) one of the original OS.
short of them, they aren't working, they aren't stand alone, because the OS is not freely distributable.

sorry mate, but that's are the only legal ways to have a Workbench, if you don't already have an amiga from wich image your own copy.
i cannot suggest any other way bar the legal ones, and the EAB policy on these matter is strict, so please don't ask.
Old 19 August 2007, 01:34   #3
oneshotdead

I'm not asking for anything illegal. I thought I made that crystal clear. I just don't like the idea of paying a large sum of money for something that came on several 880 KB floppies, 15 years ago. Just expressing my disgust, that's all.

It doesn't even tell you what's on the discs, what purpose the data serves. Have you yourself purchased these products and know what they contain? Why the hell would I need 2x DVDs of bloatware? Is it an Amiga movie?

And I don't want to sift through huge amounts of data just to find WB 3.x ADF for use in WinUAE. Is it a simple matter of putting the disc in and it all auto-configures WinUAE, or is it, like most software these days, suffering from totally unnecessary bullcrap, aka featuritis?

Like I said, all I want is WB 3.x, which would be a few MB at the most, yes? So is No. 4 what I want, or will I need to buy these overpriced 100 MB+ editions... IIRC my A1200 had like 4MB ram and a 20GB HDD!

EDIT:

OK, what is this? http://classicwb.abime.net/classicwe...loadp96uae.htm

Last edited by oneshotdead; 19 August 2007 at 02:05.
Old 19 August 2007, 09:58   #4
eLowar
Citizen of Elthesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneshotdead View Post
Where can I download (legally) JUST the Workbench 3.x OS (the GUI), for use in WinUAE? I assume it will come in *.adf format?
To my knowledge there aren't many legal ways to get them, besides Amiga Forever and buying a set of original Workbench disks secondhand and dumping them yourself (which has its own set of problems).

Quote:
This is the one I would have used on my old A1200, correct?
Anything above 3.0, yes. There are two versions that came on CDs (maybe floppy too, I have no clue, after all Windows 95 came on floppies too ), 3.5 and 3.9, they have some advanced functionality built in, but don't ask me what exactly, I've never really used them (I'm sure others could give better accounts here).

Quote:
What about other Workbenches for use in WinUAE? Which is "best"?

My intention is to do a WinUAE HDD install of the OS and run programs like Deluxe Paint, etc... as well as games.
Well ClassicWB with Workbench 3.0/3.1 (see bottom of this poast) seems to be popular and comes nicely set up with a lot of applications already included and properly configured (I've actually installed that one myself and can attest it's pretty simple).

Games generally boot themselves, so in WinUAE you won't really need a WB setup for them, however with the help of WHDLoad (shareware of sorts and actually worth its price, so consider buying it if you plan on using it) you can install floppy games to HD and play them from within your WB setup (I won't go into detail here, there's plenty of material on this forum and on the web). Classic Workbench (3.0/3.1) should handle that just fine.

Quote:
lol

1. Amiga Forever 2006 Online Edition, $30 (113 MB)
2. Amiga Forever 2006 Plus Edition, $40 (485MB)
3. Amiga Forever 2006 Premium Edition $59 (TWO bloody DVDs!!! WTF)
4. Amiga Explorer 2007 $14 (2MB)

You have GOT to be kidding. Wasn't WB 3.0 on like several disks... so 4. is what I want? What's all this other bloatware? Does any of it have a use!? lol
I'm sure the Cloanto website details what each version includes. I'd assume that #4 is for their Amiga Explorer tool only and does not come with any kickstart/workbench. All the others should (although e.g. WB 1.3 is incomplete, I assume 3.0 will be complete, but I have no clue, really).

Quote:
It doesn't even tell you what's on the discs, what purpose the data serves. Have you yourself purchased these products and know what they contain? Why the hell would I need 2x DVDs of bloatware? Is it an Amiga movie?
I believe there are some movies included, yes. I'm pretty sure the website does (or at least did last I looked) mention that though.

Quote:
Like I said, all I want is WB 3.x, which would be a few MB at the most, yes? So is No. 4 what I want, or will I need to buy these overpriced 100 MB+ editions... IIRC my A1200 had like 4MB ram and a 20GB HDD!
The original Workbench 3.0/3.1 is on 6 disks, Install, Workbench, Extras, Storage, Locale and Fonts. The later versions (3.5/3.9) came on CD (as mentioned above). I doubt they're included in Amiga Forever.

Quote:
This is the aforementioned Classic Workbench. It's a pre-configured Workbench setup, but it requires some files from an original set of Workbench 3.0 (3.1 works too) disks which are not included. It is definitely worth looking into (see above), but does not solve your original problem.

This all is a constant matter of argument, but unfortunately the simple fact is that if you want to be legal you're out of luck. You have to shell out lots of money to Cloanto just to get a few small files amongst lots of supposed nostalgia and useless material, or you have to go through the complicated process of acquiring and dumping original Workbench disks/Kickstart ROMs.

There's no way around it, some degree of moaning is allowed, but it's not very effective.

It's not like it's very hard to come by the disks in a slightly less legal way *ahem*... of course I mean in other places -- not here on EAB -- that don't have rules against sharing WB files (note that these rules are there for a good reason, nobody wants EAB to get shut down, and sites HAVE been shut down over this). *whistles* *looks away* I didn't say anything.

Long live Google! (or the next big search engine.)

Last edited by eLowar; 19 August 2007 at 10:03. Reason: Google advertising.
Old 19 August 2007, 10:15   #5
viddi

Hi!

Did you visit this site? http://www.amigaforever.com/online/

Just get the Premium edition when you´re really interested in Amiga.

All in all even Cloanto´s basic package is a good restart, containing several WB solutions.
But you´re right: it´s expensive.
Old 19 August 2007, 10:20   #6
viddi

Okay, just check this list:

Old 20 August 2007, 21:37   #7
Capitaine

The best legal way to me would be getting 2nd hand WB disks, which aren't expensive.
Then, downloading disks images from a site.
Because having backup disks is not only legal, but recommended.
Old 21 August 2007, 02:13   #8
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer

IIRC only disk 1 of each Workbench is provided. And the ROMs which are provided are crippled, meaning that they won't work except with those emulators which are specifically hacked to decrypt them.

Since you already clearly have a licence to these there is no reason to pay anything to anyone for them again, common sense really.
Old 29 August 2007, 06:40   #9
whiteb
Fanatically Amiga.

The 2DVD version (as per the chart above) contains Video's, so the "Amiga movie" you called it above, is not far from the truth, as it contains video's like the DeathBed Vigil and stuff. (The Video that David made, on the final day when Commodore closed its doors, the production offices, a desk with the AAA chipset blueprints, the production line, storage warehouse etc).
Old 29 August 2007, 07:01   #10
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer

It should be pointed out though that it is a poor-quality rip made from a VHS copy of the original. Not the extended remastered DVD version made by Dave Haynie.