English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 31 March 2004, 17:23   #21
KombatSanta
Pipboy approved

Send a message via ICQ to KombatSanta
I just played lemmings on a dos machine, and it was really horrible. The graphics was ok... but the SOUND.. oh, man!

I've also been trying to fiddle abit with dosbox and especially trying to get Screamer Rally to work... no luck yet
Old 31 March 2004, 17:35   #22
Unknown_K

Send a message via ICQ to Unknown_K
Quote:
Originally posted by KombatSanta
I just played lemmings on a dos machine, and it was really horrible. The graphics was ok... but the SOUND.. oh, man!

I've also been trying to fiddle abit with dosbox and especially trying to get Screamer Rally to work... no luck yet
One of the early problem with dos gaming is that you needed to have decent equipment (video card and sound mostly)

Liesure Suit Lary 1 on the PC (cga graphics) sucked unless you had a Tandy model (the pc had 4 colors and looked bad) that did 16 colors and had OK built in sound.

Lots of games sounded excelent using a gravis ultrasound card compared to pc sppeaker or even the early soundblaster because of the midi sound used.
Old 31 March 2004, 17:52   #23
jmmijo

Quote:
Originally posted by Unknown_K
Lots of games sounded excelent using a gravis ultrasound card compared to pc sppeaker or even the early soundblaster because of the midi sound used.
Ah yes the GUS and the GUS Max were nice cards indeed. Myself I opted for the Ensonique Soundscape instead
Old 31 March 2004, 18:02   #24
Unknown_K

Send a message via ICQ to Unknown_K
Quote:
Originally posted by jmmijo
Ah yes the GUS and the GUS Max were nice cards indeed. Myself I opted for the Ensonique Soundscape instead
I had a SB16 clone and a Ensoniq soundscape back in the day. Now using soundblaster boards and the GUS's
Old 31 March 2004, 18:09   #25
SilentBob

Well, if I was gonna mention games that were equal or better than Amiga games...

Sierra (VGA) games among others were better on the PC than the Amiga. Better colours, and if you had a fast PC (386+), the games were very much playable.

As for equal games, I'd say games done around 1992/93 (and beyond) which were done for both PC and Amiga could compete against eachother. I distinctly remember we compared Dune II, Flashback and Centurion for both the PC and Amiga, and they came out equal. (I can't remember the Flashback version for PC being any different than the Amigas either)
Old 31 March 2004, 18:30   #26
Enverex
Fantasy Man!

Well I was playing Police Quest (1, 2 and 3) and Space Quest (1, 2, and 3) and they seemed exactly the same as the PC versions. The only one that sucked was Space Quest 4 which was only 32 colours on the Amiga and consequently looked crap. The PC one was also a talkie, but other than that game, the others were identical.
Old 01 April 2004, 01:32   #27
Adeptus
epun umop ap!sdn

Quote:
Originally posted by KombatSanta
And you miss out on one of the most fun features of Amiga Lemmings... 2 player mode!
Old 01 April 2004, 04:45   #28
Oscar Castillo

Send a message via AIM to Oscar Castillo
ROTT was an awesome DOS FPS at that time. Aside from some shooters on the Amiga I only really used my Amiga for graphics. Dpaint, Sculpt 3D, Imagine, Imagemaster.
Old 01 April 2004, 16:05   #29
7-Zark-7
Zone Friend

In saying LSL 2 was playable on Floppy, it's where The Amiga version is a touch better-though GFX are the same, the sound FX were better than the PC's with sound samples for diving into the pool, opening drawers, Larry being lost in the rainforest & landing from the parachute/plane sequence.
With the logical layout of locations the largest amount of swapping was only through restoring saved games-though the back tracking for the knife & suntan lotion was a pain in the butt!

Whilst the above might technically have been true for Larry 3, it just slowed down a touch too much, & O.D.'d on swapping a tad too much. The Load disk X to load one file & swap again for another was rediculous.
Old 01 April 2004, 17:47   #30
SilentBob

Quote:
Originally posted by Enverex
Well I was playing Police Quest (1, 2 and 3) and Space Quest (1, 2, and 3) and they seemed exactly the same as the PC versions. The only one that sucked was Space Quest 4 which was only 32 colours on the Amiga and consequently looked crap. The PC one was also a talkie, but other than that game, the others were identical.
Yeah, the EGA versions were only 16 colours, so they looked the same on the Amiga and even the ST. But they ran a bit slow in my opinion, because of the 7 MHz 68k CPU. The VGA versions really had to be played on the PC for maxiumum enjoyment. The conversion from 256 to 32 colours made the graphics look dull and washed out.
Old 01 April 2004, 20:36   #31
Mr Creosote
Evil Mastermind

Theme Park:
-more rides
-higher resolution graphics

The Settlers:
-higher resolution graphics

Colonization:
-come on... the Amiga version isn't very good

and so on and so on
Old 01 April 2004, 20:52   #32
Enverex
Fantasy Man!

The PC Theme Park also had FMVs for each of the rides from first person riding on them which was cool.
Old 02 April 2004, 10:30   #33
Melroc

Send a message via ICQ to Melroc
I think the "Eye of the Beholder" series (at least Part 1&2, being not sure for a Part 3 on Amiga), is definitely better on a PeCe than on Amiga.

- better graphics
- faster / more playable
- better load/save

... and in general all AD&D games, of course
Old 02 April 2004, 13:46   #34
Bloodwych

Since this is a PC thread and I'm an Amiga Preacher, for the sake of this board I'll have to make one Pro-Amiga post due to my first being quite neutral.

Some of these games mentioned are of course half baked ports, except settlers - that was an awesome conversion, especially if you had more ram and an 020 (not forgetting of course 2-player onscreen action). Colonization on an AGA machine was fine. No one can deny however that the PC had that area of gaming sown up with it being so well suited to these genres.

The Amiga seemed to have a strange life cycle. When it begun, it received lazy Atari ST ports. As it died, it was subjected to lazy PC ports made worse by it's much slower processor.

Some where in the middle it had a surge of wonderful exclusive titles, especially multiplayer/arcade style, that never made it to either the ST or PC in any comparable form.

It all goes back to what I said in the first post - they were two very different gaming experiences that excelled in different areas and happened to overlap here and there.

The PC literally managed to power its way past the Amiga eventually, but it never once offered as wide a range of gaming, computing and community/demoscene experience in comparison to the Amiga - that is until it was able to emulate.

Even today, you need a console and a PC to cover the all round greatness of what was the Amiga experience, then we're still missing something.

DOS PC titles back then were great and eventually the best at single player adventure/simulation/stratagy/3D. The Amiga, even towards the end of its life, managed to adequately cover these areas (in some situations better) and so much more. It had a fantastic innings did the Amiga, but now it's all out for 1,576,234.

Last edited by Bloodwych; 02 April 2004 at 13:51.
Old 02 April 2004, 19:01   #35
spiff
Oh noes!

As was said before, most of the SSI games where better on PC..
And all of the Lucas arts games once they started to use the full 256 color vga palette, with monkey island 2 being ported from PC to amiga even.

3d was better on the pc once the 486 was out. Elite2, gunship2000 where good on the amiga but great on the pc.. faster, a lot nicer mission reviews.
Then commance, ultima 7, ultima underworld and doom came along, PC gaming quality suddenly was heads and shoulders above any other platform.
Even the arcades didn't catch up in 3d gfx until sega released model 2 with Daytona.

Last edited by spiff; 04 April 2004 at 22:26.
Old 02 April 2004, 22:04   #36
Enverex
Fantasy Man!

Elite 2 and such run faster on a faster Amiga, so that isn't really an issue (I get full speed on my 040/25).
Old 04 April 2004, 22:29   #37
spiff
Oh noes!

Yes, but unless I'm wrong the Pc version has basic textures and the amiga version hasn't
Old 04 April 2004, 22:48   #38
FromWithin
Music lord

Quote:
Originally posted by spiff
Yes, but unless I'm wrong the Pc version has basic textures and the amiga version hasn't
It does, but it makes the ships look like they are covered in carpet.
Old 04 April 2004, 22:55   #39
Drake1009

Yeah. First encounters made the textures look better though.
Old 05 April 2004, 05:19   #40
7-Zark-7
Zone Friend

Question

Quote:
Originally posted by spiff
As was said before, most of the SSI games where better on PC..
Does that include the pre-EOTB classic "gold box", games?
I hadn't seen the early Gold box AD&D games for the PC, (Pools of Radience, Curse of the Azure Bonds etc.),but the Amiga versions certainly looked like PC/ST ports.