English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 04 December 2004, 00:20   #1
alkis21
Zone Friend

Send a message via MSN to alkis21
Other Worlds is released! Download inside

I'm happy and proud to give you:

I can't believe it's finally ready. The concept was born after reading a phrase in a Stephen King's Dark Tower novel in 1997: "Go on then, there are other worlds than this". I thought that phrase was so powerful I could easily produce a whole story from it.

For those of you who don't know (very few I bet, I've been bugging you about my game for quite some time now):

Other Worlds is a traditional game which took me 3.5 years to complete. It is a 3rd person, point & click adventure that looks and plays like the late 80s Sierra / LucasArts productions. My intention was to create the best amateur freeware game ever (in terms of gameplay; no way I can compete with Tierra's graphics, sound or animation).

Features:

-More than 150 locations to explore
-More than 40 characters to interact with
-Dozens of inventory items
-The infamous A.L.K.I.S. interface (A.L.K.I.S. stands for Advanced Language Kit and Interface System)
-An intriguing, humorous story full of surprises and plot twists
-A large number of challenging puzzles

It is a fantasy story of a young woman going on a quest to find her missing friend, and discovering a lot more.
You can read a Preview here:
http://www.justadventure.com/Preview...herWorlds.shtm

Ok then, what are you waiting for? Go to http://www.alkis.org to download it. I hope you will find it was worth the wait.
Old 04 December 2004, 00:57   #2
oldpx

Good news! The name makes it sound like an another world clone though.

Quote:
-The infamous A.L.K.I.S. interface (A.L.K.I.S. stands for Advanced Language Kit and Interface System)
BahahahahaAHAHAHAHAAHaha

Old 04 December 2004, 02:25   #3
Nexjen
Abre Los Ojos

Send a message via AIM to Nexjen Send a message via MSN to Nexjen
bookmarked for another read tommorow. I'll make sure that i'll introduce it to people if it's good enough.
Old 04 December 2004, 02:42   #4
Tolismlf

________________________|

RULES
Old 04 December 2004, 07:55   #5
Muzkat
Into the Wonderful

Congratulations on completing such a project, Alkis!
Old 04 December 2004, 22:35   #6
Bloodwych

Congratulations on completing this game. I know you've been working on it for a very long time.

I wanted to take time to post a mini-review since you've spent so long developing it but it crashed my PC - WinME, XP, Radeon 8500. The screen changed resolution then just hung.

Anyone else tried it?
Old 04 December 2004, 22:45   #7
alkis21
Zone Friend

This happens very rarely, probable causes:
-Other programs running at the same time, try closing everything.
-Graphics & sound card drivers, try updating them.
-If the above fail, try running winsetup.exe and change the sound options or disable it completely.
Old 04 December 2004, 22:53   #8
Bloodwych

I'll have another play around with it soon.

Looks really good - very unique style with the contrast between the characters and backdrops.

Is it by coincidence that "Throw In" was released in the same week with you being a huge Kick Off 2 fan?
Old 04 December 2004, 23:34   #9
andreas
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
PHWOARR!
Now that is a nice game! Congratulations, Alkis!
You know that you've rightaway hit MY nerve with this thing!
As I'm *the* patient adventure player before the Lord that would not shun one or even several sleepless nights in finding out a solution to advance in the game!
Old 05 December 2004, 12:04   #10
Bloodwych

Managed to get the game working fine alkis. First impressions:

I'm up to 40/800 (the part just after visiting my air-head sister) in the first little sesh. Very nice game with humorous touches - like not being able to move the foam whilst having a bath!

The computer login screen is also nice touch – I think that would have been an ideal opportunity for a little infomercial. Perhaps EAB forum popping up? Or WinUAE?

It does feel oldschool so you've succeeded in that quest - even down to annoyingly trying to click on the part of the screen you actually want to select and a repeatable tune that never seems to stop.

Hopefully no spoilers will be posted here, although a friendly competition claiming how far people have delved into the adventure would be nice.

Great individual effort! I encourage everyone here to try this out.
Old 05 December 2004, 13:29   #11
TheFoxSoft
KO2 world champion

i suggest this adventure either. Really good! It remembers me the old Sierra Adventures.
Congratulations Alkis, well done!
Old 05 December 2004, 14:31   #12
andreas
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
I seem to be too dense to comprehend this thing.
As I'm not able to enter my own house (?), I go to the left with the girl character, so that I can see a map with no way to escape anymore. That is, I can either look, talk or - something else I cannot remember anymore - anything else but WALK! And it seems purpose, as you can change the action with the right mouse button - there are definitely only those three!
Huh?
Old 05 December 2004, 20:53   #13
alkis21
Zone Friend

Why are you not able to enter the house? Just use the Hand icon to open the front door! You haven't learned any new locations yet that's why the only icon you can see (and visit) on the map is your house.
Old 05 December 2004, 21:10   #14
alkis21
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodwych
It does feel oldschool so you've succeeded in that quest - even down to annoyingly trying to click on the part of the screen you actually want to select and a repeatable tune that never seems to stop.
Well, at least I did add some features that make your life a lot easier than it used to be in retro games.. like the 'Exit' icon (believe me, not easy to code), the inventory item hotspot dot, the "cursor has a transparent spot through which you can look at the thing you want to click on" feature, and I do believe I eliminated pixel hunting as much as possible.

Quote:
Hopefully no spoilers will be posted here, although a friendly competition claiming how far people have delved into the adventure would be nice.
Good point. I even wanted to start a competition with gifts for people who completed it first, but the password to the walkthrough became available on internet sites an hour after the game was uploaded! So much for that idea.
By the way, already 496 people have downloaded it since Wednesday!
Old 06 December 2004, 07:25   #15
Pyromania

Hey weres the Amiga version?
Old 07 December 2004, 13:54   #16
Bloodwych

Alkis, yes you certainly did help out quite a bit with pixel hunting - nice features now you come to mention them. The control system actually works ok without an "action bar". Leaves more room for the interesting graphics!

I found myself with the occasional wrong click however, usually after going into the inventory box and having the wrong cursor selected, but I do tend to do things a little fast.

I'm stuck at the computer number password bit. Ok, I admit I was impatient and only had a quick look around but I appear to have missed something. pm a Hint please?

Last edited by Bloodwych; 07 December 2004 at 14:11.
Old 07 December 2004, 15:20   #17
keropi

great Alkis!

sostos...!!!!