English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 12 June 2020, 14:38   #21
Marlon_
AmigaDev.com

Exclamation

@Weaselrama There is ongoing development on the 68k version yes. Neoman and I have some plans for this.

Our plan so far:
  • Native audio playback, direct channel out. Which means it will work like ProTracker/OctaMED, one channel per paula channel. There will also be direct audio for Vampire V4, which means up to 16 channels for "native" XM support. This is almost done already.
  • A MilkyPlayer based on MUI, so you can play your favorite mod, xm, s3m, it etc files directly from the desktop without the full tracker ui. It will also support either AHI mixed playback or native direct out mentioned above
  • Complete overhaul of the MilkyTracker UI so it uses native Intuition based UI, so we can support perhaps even 68030 based Amigas and perhaps even lower
  • Better/Faster blitting of the original MilkyTracker UI so less performance is used to draw the screen, if the original UI is preferred.
  • MIDI-in/out/sync implementation, to complement Paula with external synthesizers (like OctaMED)
  • OctaMED .MED-file loading support, probably some extended version of .XM will be used for saving

Project board available here:
https://github.com/AmigaPorts/MilkyTracker/projects/1

Newer nightlies are located here:
https://www.amigadev.com/ports/MilkyTracker

Glad you enjoy it!

Regards,
Marlon Beijer
AmigaDev Team
Old 12 June 2020, 14:45   #22
Weaselrama
Registered Voter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlon_ View Post
[*]A MilkyPlayer based on MUI, so you can play your favorite mod, xm, s3m, it etc files directly from the desktop without the full tracker ui.
Thanks for the reply! So I'm understanding you, you're going to offer a MUI-based version *in addition* to a version that features the classic Milky UI? If the new version was MUI-only, I don't think I'd personally be interested in it any longer. Since I haven't written mods since around 1991 and am more interested in playing them, I gotta have the eye candy. However, *adding* a MUI-based version would be a boon for many users.
Old 12 June 2020, 15:03   #23
daxb

I think you misread. Intuition GUI beside Milky UI and a separate Milky Player what will use MUI as GUI.
Old 12 June 2020, 15:18   #24
Weaselrama
Registered Voter

Quote:
Originally Posted by daxb View Post
I think you misread. Intuition GUI beside Milky UI and a separate Milky Player what will use MUI as GUI.
Good. I was hoping I didn't misread it. That's what I took it as, but wanted a confirm because...I'm paranoid like that.
Old 12 June 2020, 15:49   #25
Marlon_
AmigaDev.com

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaselrama View Post
Thanks for the reply! So I'm understanding you, you're going to offer a MUI-based version *in addition* to a version that features the classic Milky UI? If the new version was MUI-only, I don't think I'd personally be interested in it any longer. Since I haven't written mods since around 1991 and am more interested in playing them, I gotta have the eye candy. However, *adding* a MUI-based version would be a boon for many users.
So there's three things:
  1. Improve blitting of the Regular SDL/chunky MilkyTracker UI + add AGA mode for those without RTG
  2. Add Intuition based UI à la OctaMED to MilkyTracker (optional)
  3. Create MilkyPlayer like HippoPlayer based on MUI for just playing tracks withouth all the extra fuzz (optional)

Neither of these are mutually exclusive. Which means there will be something for everyone.
For those that prefer the SDL based chunky pixelmode MilkyTracker UI, they can keep using that.
For those that want to create tracks on lower end Amigas there will be an optional Intuition based UI.
For those that want to listen to mods while doing something else (browsing web, writing emails, etc) there will be an optional player.

All 3 will have support for the native playback alongside the AHI playback.
Old 12 June 2020, 16:03   #26
Weaselrama
Registered Voter

Quote:
Which means there will be something for everyone.

Thanks for the confirmation. This is outstanding. I look forward to the release. I'll be checking out the latest nightlies from the updated link shortly.
Old 12 June 2020, 17:34   #27
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

Quote:

Neither of these are mutually exclusive. Which means there will be something for everyone.
For those that prefer the SDL based chunky pixelmode MilkyTracker UI, they can keep using that.
For those that want to create tracks on lower end Amigas there will be an optional Intuition based UI.
For those that want to listen to mods while doing something else (browsing web, writing emails, etc) there will be an optional player.

As long as you keep the multithread (read: possibility to keep more songs open at once) and a working clipboard for sounds and score am fully on!

Ah, improved downsampling on Amiga and PC would be VERY appreciated, sometimes pretty often downsamples come ugly
Old 12 June 2020, 17:52   #28
Weaselrama
Registered Voter

I have some results testing nightlies. My config: FS-UAE 68060 FPU OS 3.9 KS 3.1 JIT enabled.

Nightly #81 seems to be the most stable of 2020 nightlies. I can run it and close it without it dumping. Caveat: You must close the main window before the Output Window. If you even iconify the Output Window, you get a CON error, suspend/reboot. However, closing the main app then Output gives good results.

Curiously, this is a "run once" app. Whether you play some Mods or change the screen resolution (I'm using 800 x 600 currently), if you try to re-run it, it dies with a suspend/reboot message. The error code is #80000008 or the entire Workbench freezes.

These are better results than I get with the "stable" release. I have a question: Where does Milkytracker store it's config file?

Thanks!
Old 12 June 2020, 20:20   #29
Marlon_
AmigaDev.com

Hmm, that is a regression bug. Need to find what's causing that. It used to happen before, but was fixed, but it seems like the issue is reintroduced. Thanks for letting us know.
Old 13 June 2020, 00:00   #30
Weaselrama
Registered Voter

@Marlon,

Forgive me if I missed the explanation, but I have a FB group member asking why it takes a 68060 to run the app as it stands today. I have a few good ideas as to why, but could you explain it in terms a less-experienced user would read and understand?

Given the options I see and the defaults for how it handles audio, not mention the graphics and animations, it doesn't surprise me it needs a lot of processing power at all.

Also - how/where does it store its configuration settings?

Thanks!
Old 13 June 2020, 00:14   #31
Marlon_
AmigaDev.com

Quote:
Forgive me if I missed the explanation, but I have a FB group member asking why it takes a 68060 to run the app as it stands today. I have a few good ideas as to why, but could you explain it in terms a less-experienced user would read and understand?
Essentially, the CPU is tasked with:
  1. Drawing the graphics
  2. Mixing multiple channels, with multiple samples down to two channels

None of the drawing or audio tasks are being offloaded from the CPU, and frankly 040 is not enough for that. Especially because some of the drawing functions in MilkyTracker are very poor. We aim to improve that with the previously mentioned updates.

It's barely enough with an overclocked 060 cpu.

Quote:
Given the options I see and the defaults for how it handles audio, not mention the graphics and animations, it doesn't surprise me it needs a lot of processing power at all.
Quote:
Also - how/where does it store its configuration settings?
It currently stores the settings in the folder it's run from. Will probably move that to ENVARC: & ENV: at a later stage
Old 13 June 2020, 00:52   #32
Weaselrama
Registered Voter

Quote:
It currently stores the settings in the folder it's run from. Will probably move that to ENVARC: & ENV: at a later stage
Ok...the Nightly #81 isn't dropping a config file and it's also not saving settings except screenmode - I switched from 640 x 480 to 800 x 600.
Old 19 October 2020, 10:12   #33
neoman
titan sucks!

For anyone who's interested, here you can download builds of this native Amiga version:

http://www.codeamiga.org/milkytracker/

Work is still in progress. But it's running nicely already.
Old 19 October 2020, 14:01   #34
Weaselrama
Registered Voter

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoman View Post
For anyone who's interested, here you can download builds of this native Amiga version:

http://www.codeamiga.org/milkytracker/

Work is still in progress. But it's running nicely already.
Thanks for the update. The last time I checked the link posted from June 12, the original devs hadn't published an update for a while. This is an interesting fork, reading through the blurb on the page. I'll definitely be checking this out.
Old 19 October 2020, 14:37   #35
Marlon_
AmigaDev.com

Quote:
Thanks for the update. The last time I checked the link posted from June 12, the original devs hadn't published an update for a while. This is an interesting fork, reading through the blurb on the page. I'll definitely be checking this out.
This is a collaboration between us. New builds will come frome previous link as well, when it's all synced up
Old 19 October 2020, 14:38   #36
spotUP

Cool project!
Old 19 October 2020, 14:54   #37
Weaselrama
Registered Voter

Quote:
This is a collaboration between us. New builds will come frome previous link as well, when it's all synced up
That's awesome, Marlon. Good to see this project is still moving forward.