English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. General

Old 20 June 2003, 17:14   #1
LaundroMat

BlitzBasic (PC)

I've been scouring the Blitz Basic site for a while, and this looks as if it could be a very nice toy for someone such as myself (ie well acquinted with development principles, having done a lot of it on the Amiga - AMOS, AmigaE & Asm - and some scripting on the PC - PHP and ASP, but too lazy/not enough time to concentrate on C or C++).
Does anyone have experience with what is apparently called BlitzPlus?
Old 20 June 2003, 18:06   #2
khephren

Depends what you want to program.

If you want to write apps then learn VC++ or VB

For games I would just use VC++.

Blitz Basic looks good and fast until you try to write a game, not enough speed for me.

I switched to Delphi Pascal and that does every thing I want. Fast applications and fast DirectX 3D graphics. Very easy learning curve as well.
Old 20 June 2003, 18:21   #3
fiath

I did some Pacal as college... *shudders* I even wrote a half-complete DOpus clone for the PC with it.

I would have been sued though, it was pixel-for-pixel.

I think all those BEGIN and END's would annoy me now.
Old 20 June 2003, 20:20   #4
LaundroMat

Well, Delphi's got me interested, but where do I get it? It appears Borland's Delphi Personal (ie free) edition no longer exists as of version 7?
I'm downloading the Architect Trial 7 version now, but I'm afraid it will be a crippled version...

Update: It is a 30 day trial version. How the hell can I evaluate this in 30 days?! Glad there's still google-groups, as I found a borland ftp link with v6 still on it. Heh.

Last edited by LaundroMat; 20 June 2003 at 21:18.
Old 20 June 2003, 23:39   #5
khephren

Yeah I learnt Pascal at college 15 old years ago and was bloody useless. Managed to do 3d objects but was slow and clumsy and never thought I'd use it again.

Loads of tutorials on the net if you want some examples. http://www.programmersheaven.com/ is a good site

I wanted to write a demo in it just to see if I still had it in me, but its all to easy to import DirectX objects and rotate them
Old 21 June 2003, 10:32   #6
LaundroMat

Well, that's exactly what I want to do. Mess around a bit with DirectX and I don't know what, but from within an easier environment than say C.

If ever I find the time to try a smallish retro-intro thingy, I'll dedicate it to the EAB
Old 22 June 2003, 03:59   #7
Oscar Castillo

Send a message via AIM to Oscar Castillo
Quote:
Originally posted by LaundroMat
Well, that's exactly what I want to do. Mess around a bit with DirectX and I don't know what, but from within an easier environment than say C.

If ever I find the time to try a smallish retro-intro thingy, I'll dedicate it to the EAB
Give DarkBASIC a try. It's probably what you are looking for.

http://www.darkbasicpro.com/index.php

And this book should help you get started.

http://www.darkbasicpro.com/db_book.php
Old 22 June 2003, 15:18   #8
khephren

I dunno, Dark Basic looks as bad (or as good depending on how you view these things) as Blitz Basic.

Reminds me of comparing Amos to Amiga E to ASM, purely depends on the speed you need. Doing a scroller/vector intro will be a piece of piss in Dark/Blitz Basic, but of you want more I would advise a more high powered lingo.
Old 22 June 2003, 16:14   #9
Oscar Castillo

Send a message via AIM to Oscar Castillo
Quote:
Originally posted by khephren
I dunno, Dark Basic looks as bad (or as good depending on how you view these things) as Blitz Basic.

Reminds me of comparing Amos to Amiga E to ASM, purely depends on the speed you need. Doing a scroller/vector intro will be a piece of piss in Dark/Blitz Basic, but of you want more I would advise a more high powered lingo.
But I think he doesn't want to be bothered with the steep learning curve. I downloaded some of the demos for DarkBASIC and I think it'll work out well for his needs. Based on the demos I've seen around it looks very fast.
Old 23 June 2003, 09:14   #10
LaundroMat

Thanks, I'll have a look at it.
Mind that Delphi still seems ok to me, as I perceive it to be less hasslesome than C, but more powerful than all the Basics out there.