Competition Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2325 View Post
I thought it was for moving enemies[...]
Well, the ants are moving enemies.
Old 28 July 2009, 10:34   #22
s2325
Zone Friend

Yes, but I never tried to destroy stationary cannons with mines and I never used them after first level.
Old 28 July 2009, 10:47   #23
john4p
Competition Moderator

Ah, okay.

Note that you don't really need them against the cannons most of the time as they are easily destroyed by one shot of any of your standard weapons. If there are multiple cannons on a platform above or beyond you it's still a good idea to use them.

(But the main purpose is against those nasty ants which take an insane amount of hits of your standard weapons.)
Old 28 July 2009, 11:29   #24
drHirudo
Amiga user

Thumbs up Turrican madness

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB Positive View Post
First off, of course T2 is an awesome game, no debate. But, for some reason I find myself going back more to T1.

I'm new to the Amiga scene admittedly so I don't know if that plays a factor but on lemon amiga and HoL there's usually a concensus that T2 was the 'better game'.

Am I odd?
The best Turrican game on Amiga could be Turrican 3. But then T3 is very short, even if it is with the best music, graphics, level design, colour usage, gameplay etc. That leaves us with Turrican 2 which is the best Turrican on Amiga - very good level design, space ship levels, big and clever bosses. Turrican 1 is very good, but the graphic is not enough touched and leaves the feeling of unpolished Turrican game if you have played Turrican 2 and Turrican 3.
Of course I am a fan of the three games and completed all of them several times without the use of any cheats.
The love of Turrican made me complete the Turrican games on SNES (Super Turrican and Super Turrican 2) and their clones on Mega Drive (Turrican, Mega Turrican and Universal Soldier). Also the C64 versions - Turrican 1, Turrican 2 and Turrican 3 (Several remakes by different groups). I also played a lot Turrican and Turrican II on the Sinclair, Turrican and Turrican 2 on the Amstrad, Turrican on the Game Gear, Turrican 1 and 2 on the Atari ST, Turrican on the Gameboy, Super Turrican on the NES.
The best Turrican game is the Super Turrican 2 on the SNES.
For the record I want to say that I played all these games (with the different hardware versions) on real Amigas (Amiga 500, Amiga 1200, Amiga 4000 and AmigaOne with WHDLoad, JST, real floppies disks and emulators {WarpSNES, Arnold, ASp, ZXAM, Speculator, Hatari, DGen, GenesisPlus, VisualBoyAdvance, AmiNES, CoolNES, AmiMasterGear, DarkNES, VICE, MagiC64, Frodo and lot more emulators}).
Am I Turrican fan?
For sure I am Amiga fan.
Old 28 July 2009, 11:45   #25
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by drHirudo View Post
But then T3 is very short, even if it is with the best music, graphics, level design, colour usage, gameplay etc.
I bet many people will disagree with most of your points (of course including me ).

Quote:
Originally Posted by drHirudo View Post
...and their clones on Mega Drive (Turrican, Mega Turrican and Universal Soldier).
Actually Mega Turrican is the original and Turrican 3 is the conversion (might explain why it's not as good as 2...). The SNES versions are somehow 'unique' and miss a lot of the Turrican 'flavour'. So Mega Turrican isn't a clone of them (and also not the other two).
Old 28 July 2009, 12:05   #26
Muzkat
Into the Wonderful

No. I like Turrican better then T2.

Turrican 2 was a complete disappointment for me. I consider it a vastly inferior sequel.

First of all, it is too similar to the first one, so that it doesn't feel like a sequel, but a recycling of the prequel. I also don't like any of the new weapons, and I find the music tracks on T1 to be much more catchy and memorable. And the new graphics and animations don't do it for me - the earth in the first level looks like spew, for example.

I have yet to play T3.
Old 28 July 2009, 12:18   #27
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzkat View Post
Turrican 2 was a complete disappointment for me.
WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT?!
Old 28 July 2009, 12:29   #28
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

^ What Predseda said
I mean I can understand if you like T1 a tad more than T2, but 'vastly inferior'...
Old 28 July 2009, 12:51   #29
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Both are equally as good, but like others I prefer 1.
Old 28 July 2009, 13:17   #30
Mad-Matt
Longplayer

Send a message via ICQ to Mad-Matt Send a message via MSN to Mad-Matt
I prefure 2 over 1 as 2 just seems have everything t1 has and more of it. Enjoyed both on c64 before Amiga versions. Had to cheat though to finish both games

I like T3 too , but more because its super easy with many collectably lives in every level, I can complete the game every time on hard difficulty. I load the games up more for music nowerdays though.
Old 28 July 2009, 13:57   #31
Old Fool
Zone Friend

Both are great games (so is the third part). The first levels in T1 are better than in T2 but the more you play the games T2 wins *slightly* the match. I don't like the colour palette in T2 on some levels, it's too "candy" for me. Level design in T2 has more imagination and variation. Soundtrack is perfect on both games but T2 has better sound quality and longer songs. T2 has also better sound effects and special effects, more weapons etc. It's bit like comparing Terminator (T1) compared to Terminator 2 (T2). T2 has more stylish special effects but the brutal story in T1 has its own strong moments. I would give Turrican 1 four stars and Turrican 2 four and a half stars out of five.

Terminator 1 I would give five stars out of five and Terminator 2 four stars out of five.
Old 28 July 2009, 14:02   #32
Muzkat
Into the Wonderful

Nope, sorry guys - I stand by what I said. I just felt so let down when I saw that T2 was just an inferior rehash, with nothing new that I liked.

T1 all the way, in my opinion.
Old 28 July 2009, 14:08   #33
Shoonay
Global Caturator

Call me a loonay but I prefer the 3rd one the most...
Old 28 July 2009, 14:13   #34
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Loonay!
There is this hook... *twiches* the hook... *twitches again* oh, please don't remind me...
Old 28 July 2009, 14:28   #35
Paul_s

Yes, you are very much alone in a darkened room where there is not a sound and you could probably hear a pin drop
Old 28 July 2009, 14:42   #36
coze
hastala vista winny vista

Send a message via ICQ to coze Send a message via Yahoo to coze
no way she's in there with muzkat be careful AB, if I were you I'ld grow a fondness for the T2 as soon as possible
Old 28 July 2009, 15:06   #37
DH
Global Moderator

Quote:
First off, of course T2 is an awesome game, no debate. But, for some reason I find myself going back more to T1.
Strange, so do I. I think it's probably because of nostalgia reasons

Quote:
I'm new to the Amiga scene admittedly so I don't know if that plays a factor but on lemon amiga and HoL there's usually a concensus that T2 was the 'better game'.
It was

Quote:
Am I odd?
Nope! 'Cause that would make me odd too and I know I'm not
Old 28 July 2009, 15:29   #38
blade002
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzkat View Post
Nope, sorry guys - I stand by what I said. I just felt so let down when I saw that T2 was just an inferior rehash, with nothing new that I liked.

T1 all the way, in my opinion.
OH Nuuurse!!!!
Old 28 July 2009, 15:40   #39
Retro1234
Phone Homer

Is it just me or do those colours make you feel Sick
In the Zone is T2 with a Blue background if anyone else cant take it.
Old 28 July 2009, 15:45   #40
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boo Boo View Post

Is it just me or do those colours make you feel Sick
I hope it's just you That's just a beautiful picture and the version you uploaded is an ebil abomination