English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 24 November 2006, 00:57   #1
RDLister

Send a message via MSN to RDLister
Amiga Jedi Master needed

I need help, I'm a complete Wiz on Pc's, but when it comes to Amigas I'm just lost in space. Used to have a A600 in my younger years, but all I did was copy and played games. I just gone and bought a A1200 and it came with a 500mb hard drive (nothing on it, not even bootable) and workbench 3.0 on floppy disk.

I've also gone and bought a PCMIA CF interface with a 512MB card, as I heard this is one of the easiest ways to transfer data from pc to Amiga

What I really need need is to tap into someones worldy knowledge to get me up and running. If anyone has a MSN account and could walk me through getting started I'd much appreciate it.

Last edited by RDLister; 24 November 2006 at 01:06.
Old 24 November 2006, 01:15   #2
Magno Boots
Zone Friend

Get yourself some Workbench 3.0 disks and instal them on the harddrive.
(the Amiga operating system)

That's a good start.

The experts can lead you from there!

Cheers
Old 24 November 2006, 01:22   #3
RDLister

Yeah that's where I was becoming stuck, somehow I fecked up my workbench discs, I was trying to install the OS onto the hard drive and seems it's messed up my workbench disks cause they were read/write enabled. Don't know why the install didn't pickup my hard disk or my pcmia drive and install to that.
Old 24 November 2006, 05:41   #4
EmuChicken

no no no no NO!

take the hard drive out, put it in the pc, run winuae on the pc ... select the hard drive, install classicwb on the amiga emulator- put stuff you want on the pc via emulation = put it back into the amiga then BOSH
Old 24 November 2006, 10:58   #5
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

I agree with everything Emuchicken has just said. Apart from BOSH.

I'd have gone with "KABOOM"
Old 24 November 2006, 16:08   #6
RDLister

Don't I need to install workbench 3.0 ? I was looking at the different OS for the amiga, which is the best option to go for and where's the best place to get it from ?

Last edited by RDLister; 24 November 2006 at 16:15.
Old 24 November 2006, 16:18   #7
kriz

Do it like Emuchicked said, mount it in Winuae and install workbench there (maybe try a ready setup one) http://classicwb.abime.net/ ...

You only need workbench disk to install this.
Old 24 November 2006, 16:29   #8
RDLister

Ok thanks, I was also looking for a upgrade card for my A1200, is this ok or is it too underpowered ? I was looking at the blizzard card to begin with, but they go for around £75-100 on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=007&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=170051855692&rd=1&rd=1
Old 24 November 2006, 16:40   #9
Arnie
R.I.P Smudge 18-08-16

It dosen`t mention wether or not it`s got an 030 cpu or above. Personally I`d avoid this card and look for something else....
Old 24 November 2006, 17:19   #10
musashi5150
move.w #$4489,$dff07e

Or if you're on a budget then the fastram on this card should make your A1200 much more spritely. And then you could invest more cash later if you wanted an 68030/040/060 card...
Old 24 November 2006, 17:58   #11
RDLister

Yeah I wouldn't mind a blizzard, but it doesn't seem worth while, when I paid £65 for the amiga with all the bits then just an accelerator card would cost more than that.
Old 24 November 2006, 20:39   #12
RDLister

I installed WINuae ok, but can't seem to setup the hard drive as DH0. I guess you go into the hard drives section then add hard drive, but when I try it says no disks were empty or RDB partitioned.

I've got a blank 512mb CF memory and a 20GB 2.5" hdd which is also blank currently drives E & I
Old 24 November 2006, 21:07   #13
thor

There is a nice guide for that: http://guide.abime.net/
Old 25 November 2006, 01:13   #14
EmuChicken

You need a 2.5 > 3.5 IDE / hard drive connector... once thats plugged, you'll need to select it in the bios on the pc.

then as you open winxp, it'll prolly say at the bottom right "FOUND *insert HD name here* HD storage jobby" ... once its instlaled whatever it need,s it should be in winuae ;-) - I think you need to format it somehow to amiga format - forgot how I did it, but it was possibly in the amiga?

Ive got an 030 accellerator on my miggy... kicks ass ;-) - thats with 16mb ram .. 030 is far enough to run older games from the hd, but if you want the miggy to do more (internet browsing, higher OS, picasso card), invest more.
Old 25 November 2006, 03:48   #15
RDLister

I followed the guide from Thor and it was running fine on my PC under Winuae with WB 3.1, I even went through up to chapter 10, upgrading the icons and just installed WHDload.

I took the drive back out from the pc and stuck it in the amiga and it didn't do a thing, just blank screen . That hard drive is a 20GB IDE with a 3.5gb hard drive file created through winuae.

Think half my problem is my original WB3.0 is screwed and won't boot, so I can't format my drives under WB3, the files are still on the WB discs, just they won't boot up fully, just goes to a shell screen
Old 25 November 2006, 08:07   #16
EmuChicken

er, no

I think you've got the hard drive formatted to the PC / FAT standard whereas you need winuae to recognise the drive as an amiga drive (by giving it an amiga file system!) ... firstly you'll probably have to use the HDtools that are on the workbench disks (if you can find them) to install the filesystem (on your amiga!), and then once thats all sorted you should be able to move it to the pc and it'll recognise it completely as an amiga hd... not as a pc drive with a 3.5 hd file on it (which means nil on the amiga!)

... if the wb3.0 goes to shell, type
loadwb
followed by <enter>, then you SHOULD have workbench load for you - you may have to use the command ENDCLI also to get rid of the cli box ;-)

.... as I said earlier - use Classicwb, it installs all the stuff you need automatically! (whdload, nice icons etc!) aswell as a great workbench package
Old 28 November 2006, 10:24   #17
RDLister

Horray ......I gave up on wb3.1 and I managed to setup classic wb lite, as I've only got a basic A1200 at the moment.

I've got a pcmcia card with 512mb CF, does anyone know how to get these working so I can transfer files easily between pc and amiga, cause when I looked under hd tools I don't think it pick it up as it's not in the scsi/ide port.

Last edited by RDLister; 28 November 2006 at 10:31.
Old 28 November 2006, 12:17   #18
EmuChicken

uh, youve not got the hard drive plugged up to the IDE port in the A1200?
Old 28 November 2006, 14:08   #19
RDLister

I've got a 20GB hard drive, theres a 4GB amiga partition on it which I formatted and partitioned using WB3. I then took the HD out of the amiga and linked it to the pc using one of these...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2-5-USB-2-0-Ex...QQcmdZViewItem

much easier than 2.5">3.5" ide converter as no need to reboot when removing device. Once I connected the hard drive to the pc I installed classicwb via winuae. Then I just plug the thing back into my amiga via the IDE/SCSI connector.

Now rather that keep opening up my amiga to lug out my hard drive everytime I want to transfer data, I want to use my pcmcia & 512mbCF card.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/New-PCMCIA-to-...QQcmdZViewItem

Problem is I don't don't know how to get the amiga to recognise the CF, I've heard of easyadf, but I was wondering if there's an alternative.
Old 28 November 2006, 15:46   #20
EmuChicken

ok, heres some good news

you can use the whole 20gb of your hard drive in your amiga! (wooo!)....
BUT - (the bad news) - you need to format it to the SFS format (I think), theres the files that come with classic wb to do all this...

With the pcmcia stuff, errghh.... huhauhgmmmn! (groans) .. Ive had long sessions trying to get my pcmcia network card to run on my amiga, with no luck at all.... and I still havent got it running. hopefully someone in this forum will have a clue with that reader, but what I'd try is searching Aminet for a driver (search for the company name on the pcmcia card within the database or something) - - - if that doesnt work you can always get a parallel cable (with looooong transfer times!) from your pc <> amiga :-)