English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 17 November 2017, 22:46   #1
Chucky

Pushing the A3660 to the next step

OK. I am currently working on moving the 3660 to eagle.
(and in 2 weeks.. I will be on a businesstrip for a week. soo...... you know what happened once..)

I will do a complete retrace of the board, this to first of all is a good way for me to learn how to use this software..

and maybe do stuff different. BUT! I have a plan.. lets do this as a more like "prototype" so I plan to trace alot of signals (clocks, adresslines, datalines etc) to a connector at the end of the board.. so by doing that prototyping for memory etc is more easy. as you only need to do some 2layer boards and push it there.. this would ofcourse not be recomended for daily use. but testing.
but it would still work as a normal 3660 with nothing connected there..

I was thinking of something simple.. like the 2.5" ide connector on the 1200 etc (but more pins..) that doesn't even needs to be soldered in there.

ideas?
Old 17 November 2017, 23:13   #2
plasmab
Banned

Maybe an edge connector compatible with the A1200 (maybe in PCI form?)
Old 17 November 2017, 23:22   #3
Chucky

well.. that would be an idea.. but I was thinking of taking datapins directly from the cpu etc. before any "gal magic" is done.. wouldn't a edge connector compatible with the 1200 mean that this wouldbe done after the "gal magic"?
Old 17 November 2017, 23:26   #4
plasmab
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucky View Post
well.. that would be an idea.. but I was thinking of taking datapins directly from the cpu etc. before any "gal magic" is done.. wouldn't a edge connector compatible with the 1200 mean that this wouldbe done after the "gal magic"?
Hmmm.. I prefer to tap from the CPU socket and design a breakout for whatever CPU being used.
Old 17 November 2017, 23:27   #5
Chucky

so basically doing such a thing is just waste of time? better to do a small cpusocket breakoutboard with the memory.. and then implement it on the board?
Old 17 November 2017, 23:37   #6
plasmab
Banned

The cpu socket adapter can be removed after and is reusable. I’ll make one up for you if you like.
Old 17 November 2017, 23:40   #7
Chucky

yeah but basically not adding that stuff on the PCB as you can steal it from the "cpu" instead...

But I found out that there are alot of signals to the cpu-slot on the amiga that the 3640 doesn't use.. like "RAMSLOT" etc.. so maybe a small header for those signals so IF you need one, there is a easy place to steal that signal while doing prototypestuff.
Old 17 November 2017, 23:42   #8
plasmab
Banned

Anything that isn’t used should be prioritised and wired up to any spare pins on the CPLD .. and remaining spare cpld pins wire to a header. Gives you lots of options
Old 17 November 2017, 23:51   #9
Chucky

well this first "attempt" will not have any CLPDs changed etc. just to a pinheader..
then I will do a small prototype test so it runs so I know I have made a sucessful move to eagle.
then remove all 74x with some CLPD etc.. guess it is time for me to learn how to do that stuff aswell.. but first move this crap to eagle so we have some more decent way of editing it (as moving to 060 was a BIG pain to do in sprint)
Old 19 November 2017, 19:14   #10
Codetsu

i love you Chucky & plasmab !
Old 19 November 2017, 19:52   #11
Chucky

Well. so it all begins I guess?

https://github.com/ChuckyGang/A3660

Remember this is the absolutley first encounter for me with Eagle..

(YUP! so far a library with stuff and more or less a empty PCB with right dimensions)

Last edited by Chucky; 19 November 2017 at 19:57.
Old 20 November 2017, 10:45   #12
hooverphonique
ex. demoscener "Bigmama"

Quote:
Well. so it all begins I guess?

https://github.com/ChuckyGang/A3660

Remember this is the absolutley first encounter for me with Eagle..

(YUP! so far a library with stuff and more or less a empty PCB with right dimensions)
Repository starred

If you want some sort of connector on the main pcb, you could create a pci-card edge connector which doesn't cost anything (except for pcb routing effort).
Old 20 November 2017, 14:45   #13
Chucky

Well I think I have more or less decided of going that way that you can do a breakoutboard for the cpusocket. and just add a pinheader for signals on the edge.. as it is only for dev anyway. maybe rev 2 can have some kind of expansionport. but that is for later..

well I am soon finished with cpu part of schematics in eagle. (with 74f1803 etc) will do a complete retrace.. so I wil put all addresssignal resistors at the bottomside of the card but in one spot close to the cpu. same with databits. and not scattered around the board as the 3640 have.
Old 20 November 2017, 23:09   #14
plasmab
Banned

Quote:
Well I think I have more or less decided of going that way that you can do a breakoutboard for the cpusocket. and just add a pinheader for signals on the edge.. as it is only for dev anyway. maybe rev 2 can have some kind of expansionport. but that is for later..

well I am soon finished with cpu part of schematics in eagle. (with 74f1803 etc) will do a complete retrace.. so I wil put all addresssignal resistors at the bottomside of the card but in one spot close to the cpu. same with databits. and not scattered around the board as the 3640 have.
Awesome.
Old 26 November 2017, 11:48   #15
Chucky

now the complete A3640 is implemented in the schemartics.. Will do the 060 stuff tonight I guess. and then one week of businesstrip.. lets do stuff..
Old 27 November 2017, 22:44   #16
Chucky

First day at hotel. finished the 3660 schematics and aprox located all components on theboard.. guess tomorrow I will start routing this..