English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Off Topic > OT - General

Old 12 June 2019, 02:27   #21
005AGIMA
Re-loading. Please wait.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roondar View Post
Never mind. No good will come of this. Consider this post deleted.
Maybe a computer forum isn't the place. Maybe it is. But dont back down just because your point (which is VERY valid in my opinion) is challenged.

That's how the vocal minority beats everyone else into submission. And I'm over it tbh!

A debate, so long as it remains civil, is always a good thing.
Old 12 June 2019, 11:32   #22
roondar

Quote:
Originally Posted by 005AGIMA View Post
Maybe a computer forum isn't the place. Maybe it is. But dont back down just because your point (which is VERY valid in my opinion) is challenged.

That's how the vocal minority beats everyone else into submission. And I'm over it tbh!

A debate, so long as it remains civil, is always a good thing.
This has nothing to do with backing down. My original point still stands and everyone can read it. And yes, I'd say debate is always a good thing and in real life I normally won't back down.

But... This forum's rules say we shouldn't discuss politics and I respect that - this is an Amiga forum, we should be talking about retro stuff

Simply put: I can't properly explain why I feel the notion that certain ideas can't be challenged is such a bad idea, without going into details about a pretty dark part of human history and I don't feel doing so respects the wishes of the forum owners.

So I won't.
Old 12 June 2019, 23:49   #23
xanderbeanz

I’ll just quickly share my viewpoint with no mallace.

I am Autistic and part of the LGBT community.

I have been treated very badly most of my life for these two reasons, with many unkind words and actions against me, despite me being civil and friendly. I am a mental health worker, giving back to society, also.

All that social progress does, and that includes political correctness (which is actually just a perjerative term for “treating people with respect”) allows people like me to not live in pain and humiliation any more.

I’m sure there was a dyslexic black kid who was crying at seeing that character on Dr Who, “Mommy! Look! Someone LIKE ME on TV!”

All we want is equality. Straight white neurotypical people have had all the privilege and fun for far too long.
Old 13 June 2019, 07:06   #24
005AGIMA
Re-loading. Please wait.

Quote:
This has nothing to do with backing down. My original point still stands and everyone can read it. And yes, I'd say debate is always a good thing and in real life I normally won't back down.

But... This forum's rules say we shouldn't discuss politics and I respect that - this is an Amiga forum, we should be talking about retro stuff

Simply put: I can't properly explain why I feel the notion that certain ideas can't be challenged is such a bad idea, without going into details about a pretty dark part of human history and I don't feel doing so respects the wishes of the forum owners.

So I won't.
Yes I know and I hear you. Point well made.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xanderbeanz View Post
I’ll just quickly share my viewpoint with no mallace.

I am Autistic and part of the LGBT community.

I have been treated very badly most of my life for these two reasons, with many unkind words and actions against me, despite me being civil and friendly. I am a mental health worker, giving back to society, also.

All that social progress does, and that includes political correctness (which is actually just a perjerative term for “treating people with respect”) allows people like me to not live in pain and humiliation any more.

I’m sure there was a dyslexic black kid who was crying at seeing that character on Dr Who, “Mommy! Look! Someone LIKE ME on TV!”

All we want is equality. Straight white neurotypical people have had all the privilege and fun for far too long.
Thanks for sharing your perspective.

To add some counter perspective, "most" people who are sick of PC speak being rammed down our throats are not against equality, they are FOR equality, which includes the right to present a counter opinion on ANY topic. Otherwise, it's not equality.

It's like, (and I'm being careful here), not being allowed to use colour of skin to describe someone, while I am allowed to mention the colour of their hair, or the colour of the clothes they were wearing.

That imho, is one example of PC gone wrong.

To go back to the topic of Dr Who, I have no issue with a script being written in which Dr Who regenerates as a women. In fact, why was this never done before? It's a BRILLIANT idea. (as a story, making good on the regeneration ability of the Dr, which has been there since the first actor transition).

BUT...if it is written into the script PRIMARILY to push a political / social agenda, then I take issue with it.

Let entertainment be just that. Entertainment.
Old 16 June 2019, 16:46   #25
blade002
Zone Friend

Quote:
People who ignore others because they quite correctly point to the excesses of modern society are not worth interacting with, so that's no great loss.

Nothing is above criticism and the notion that ever growing political correctness can't/shouldn't be criticized is one of the scariest developments of the 21st century.

Edit: just to be clear here, what I mean is not that all forms of political correctness are wrong, but there are elements of it that definitely are. And such things should be able to be discussed, or we risk actually going down the Orwellian route of thought crime.

Completely agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by 005AGIMA View Post
Thanks for sharing your perspective.

To add some counter perspective, "most" people who are sick of PC speak being rammed down our throats are not against equality, they are FOR equality, which includes the right to present a counter opinion on ANY topic. Otherwise, it's not equality.

It's like, (and I'm being careful here), not being allowed to use colour of skin to describe someone, while I am allowed to mention the colour of their hair, or the colour of the clothes they were wearing.

That imho, is one example of PC gone wrong.

To go back to the topic of Dr Who, I have no issue with a script being written in which Dr Who regenerates as a women. In fact, why was this never done before? It's a BRILLIANT idea. (as a story, making good on the regeneration ability of the Dr, which has been there since the first actor transition).

BUT...if it is written into the script PRIMARILY to push a political / social agenda, then I take issue with it.

Let entertainment be just that. Entertainment.

Agreed again
Old 18 June 2019, 23:43   #26
volvo_0ne

I guess I'd better reply.........

My original observations were (are) based on the previous scheme of the show.

I don't really care wether you are gay, straight, Australian (See what I did there?), Autistic or look like a Sontaran.

I still believe that the latest Dr Who episodes are simply a compromise so not to upset anyone.... Women, Ethnics, LGBT, Bradley Walsh, The BBC.

In MY opinion the storylines are garbage and the acting is poor and predictable, which is probably why they are not making any more episodes in the near future.

So there :P
Old 19 June 2019, 04:08   #27
jmmijo

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvo_0ne View Post
I guess I'd better reply.........

My original observations were (are) based on the previous scheme of the show.

I don't really care wether you are gay, straight, Australian (See what I did there?), Autistic or look like a Sontaran.

I still believe that the latest Dr Who episodes are simply a compromise so not to upset anyone.... Women, Ethnics, LGBT, Bradley Walsh, The BBC.

In MY opinion the storylines are garbage and the acting is poor and predictable, which is probably why they are not making any more episodes in the near future.

So there :P
The issue is that you *WILL* offend somebody no matter what so I say, OFFEND EVERYBODY so nobody gets left out
Old 20 June 2019, 09:47   #28
005AGIMA
Re-loading. Please wait.

A light-hearted slant on the topic....
Australian Comedian Steve Hughes on "The absurdity of political correctness, and health and safety!", including thoughts on "being offended"
[ Show youtube player ]
Old 23 June 2019, 12:07   #29
mik3d3nch

IMHO it went downhill after Patrick Troughton! No, really. The first was the best of them all because he set the tone, irascible, eccentric, nobodys fool. The worst I've seen - I stopped watching after ...(youngish, blond hair, fairly hefty, starred in a series about a vet) - but the absolute rock bottom for me was Jon Pertwee.
Old 24 June 2019, 04:52   #30
005AGIMA
Re-loading. Please wait.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik3d3nch View Post
IMHO it went downhill after Patrick Troughton! No, really. The first was the best of them all because he set the tone, irascible, eccentric, nobodys fool. The worst I've seen - I stopped watching after ...(youngish, blond hair, fairly hefty, starred in a series about a vet) - but the absolute rock bottom for me was Jon Pertwee.
Ah I know the one you're talking about....he came after Tom Baker.

Peter Davidson (Thanks Google).

I didn't mind Jon Pertwee but keeping in mind, that was my introduction to Dr Who as a child.

I LOVED Tom Baker, and I recall being very upset to see him change into Peter Davidson, but once I got used to him, I didn't dislike him.

But for me "The Doctor" was "Tom Baker". That was my childhood.

I'll say this though....I thought Christopher Eccleston was EXCELLENT and the story writing was fantastic and really brought the same nostalgic Dr Who tension back, kicking and screaming, to a modern audience. And David Tennant continued to carry the great scripts forward.

Lost interest again after that though. Watched a couple with the young guy but not many.
Old 27 June 2019, 03:32   #31
Muzkat
Into the Wonderful

For me Tom Baker will always be THE Doctor.

Having said that, Christopher Ecclestone was brilliant. I also liked Peter Capaldi, because he reminded me of Tom and encapsulated who I envision the Doctor to be. That is, a cantankerous old man who is trying to fix all the problems of the universe.

I lost interest during the Tenant and Smith eras, because they seemed more obsessed with sucking face and seducing their companions than saving the galaxy.