English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

View Poll Results: Do you like or dislike Cloanto?
Dislike 69 48.59%
Like 73 51.41%
Voters: 142. You may not vote on this poll

Old 19 March 2019, 18:10   #121
gulliver
BoingBagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedGeek View Post
Sorry, I don't have any statistics for you. But their seems to be noticeable lack of upgrade 3.9 to 3.1.4 threads being posted on various Amiga forums and the few comments made by OS 3.9 users seem to be lacking in enthusiasm for 3.1.4.
This seems at best an uneducated guess tainted by your own devotion to Cloanto and dislike to Hyperion. Nothing more.

You shoud try to be more objective about this, and still retain your love and hate targets intact.

http://aminet.net/misc/os/Updateto314.lha
has 1359 downloads

http://aminet.net/docs/help/AmigaOS_3.1.4-FAQ.txt
has 1268 downloads

An then, not everyone that has 3.1.4 knows and wants to get those two files.
Old 19 March 2019, 19:15   #122
SpeedGeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulliver View Post
This seems at best an uneducated guess tainted by your own devotion to Cloanto and dislike to Hyperion. Nothing more.

You should try to be more objective about this, and still retain your love and hate targets intact.

http://aminet.net/misc/os/Updateto314.lha
has 1359 downloads

http://aminet.net/docs/help/AmigaOS_3.1.4-FAQ.txt
has 1268 downloads

An then, not everyone that has 3.1.4 knows and wants to get those two files.
I have no particular devotion to Cloanto. I have not purchased any of Cloanto's products. I simply see Cloanto as being on the right side of the law and Hyperion as the wrong side of the law. I also see Cloanto's business model as successful and Hyperion's business model as unsuccessful (e.g. Hyperion's bottom line insolvency speaks for itself).

BTW, Aminet downloads are not at all objective since they could be downloaded by any Amiga OS version users, curiosity seekers or even by mistake.
Old 19 March 2019, 19:38   #123
DamienD
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmsj View Post
I'd be curious to know, from all the people in this thread who are complaining about Amiga Forever... how many of you have donated to WinUAE?
How much have I personally donated to Toni for WinUAE and his continued 24 / 7 support... over €800 throughout the years, that's for sure

...and you cmsj?

Last edited by DamienD; 19 March 2019 at 19:47.
Old 19 March 2019, 20:44   #124
cmsj

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
How much have I personally donated to Toni for WinUAE and his continued 24 / 7 support... over €800 throughout the years, that's for sure

...and you cmsj?
You weren't complaining about AF, and neither was I

My point was primarily addressed towards the idea that some people seem to have, that AF is freeloading off some open source software and why should they pay for AF when WinUAE is better, without realising that buying AF supports WinUAE.

I wish I could say I have donated as much as you, but I haven't. It's more than zero, but it's not that much. I just sent another 20€ though, to try and close the gap
Old 19 March 2019, 21:04   #125

@cmsj You Said
Quote:

My point was primarily addressed towards the idea that some people seem to have, that AF is freeloading off some open source software and why should they pay for AF when WinUAE is better, without realising that buying AF supports WinUAE.
I always though they were free loading off winuae got a link that says some money goes to toni?
Old 19 March 2019, 21:10   #126
Daedalus

My understanding is that Cloanto gave him hardware to examine in order to help improve WinUAE, which would be more useful than money for such a project.
Old 19 March 2019, 21:17   #127
Daedalus

Quote:
BTW, Aminet downloads are not at all objective since they could be downloaded by any Amiga OS version users, curiosity seekers or even by mistake.
Perhaps, but it is at least a reasonable indication that hundreds of users are upgrading from 3.9 to 3.1.4. It is also a good illustration of your clear bias, given that you reject presented statistics without offering anything even remotely as indicative or objective, simply because they don't suit your agenda.
Old 19 March 2019, 22:18   #128
DamienD
Global Moderator

Quote:
You weren't complaining about AF
...but I was:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
Onto the question at hand, I'm definitely no Cloanto supporter though.

In all honesty, I do believe that their package / front-end is absolute bloatware and have no need or use any of their Kickstart ROMs / Workbench disks.

If you are going to emulate then just use WinUAE or FS-UAE directly; far less headaches, free and better support on EAB coming straight from the authors'
Old 20 March 2019, 00:57   #129
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer

Quote:
Sorry, I don't have any statistics for you. But their seems to be noticeable lack of upgrade 3.9 to 3.1.4 threads being posted on various Amiga forums and the few comments made by OS 3.9 users seem to be lacking in enthusiasm for 3.1.4. Amazingly, Minuous who has been a strong Hyperion supporter has not yet purchased 3.1.4.
Well, I'm a strong H&P supporter too The improvements weren't really relevant to my use case, eg. I don't do any printing. It was never going to be a quick or easy job to turn 3.1 into something that surpasses 3.9 in every respect, but that point is coming, and 3.1.4 is an important step on that path.
Old 20 March 2019, 02:03   #130
LongLifeA1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by 512k View Post
I always though they were free loading off winuae got a link that says some money goes to toni?
If I was informed that the people that made or who update WinUAE were getting compensated with their fair share of Amiga Forever's takings, I'd be inclined to buy it.

While were on the topic, who's to say that the people (or person) at Cloanto lifted the Kickstart ROMs themselves for preservation and emulation?
Old 20 March 2019, 03:08   #131
grelbfarlk

Quote:
Originally Posted by 512k View Post
@cmsj You Said

I would like to know more about this. Toni getting a portion of the app purchases? That's great if it is so.
Old 20 March 2019, 10:59   #132
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
[...]which would be more useful than money for such a project.
Yes but no.

yes: access to the material -> help improving the product (in the general sense).
no: if there is no monetary counterpart, the developper's work is not paid -> work done for free (even if done with pleasure/passion).

Quote:
Perhaps, but it is at least a reasonable indication that hundreds of users are upgrading from 3.9 to 3.1.4. It is also a good illustration of your clear bias, given that you reject presented statistics without offering anything even remotely as indicative or objective, simply because they don't suit your agenda.
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Richter View Post
[...] As long as you mean "copyright", yes, Cloanto has a copyright on 3.1 and all below, but as by the agreement, Amiga provided an exclusive license for development. So we may have the strange situation that while Cloanto has a copyright, they can only copy the original 3.1, whereas anything developed upon it is at Hyperion, despite the copyright. [...]
It is also my understanding of what I have read (even if I admit I can be mistaken as documents are not in my mother-tongue).
In a way it is the funniest part of the story and surely the one that irritates Cloanto the most, hence their desire to eject Hyperion from the play.
But well... let's wait.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlafSch View Post
[...] Cloanto offers a chance to improve the situation on the whole platform, not just one branch. But that all will not be decided by us.
If really Cloanto wants to Open source things, would you mind explain why they have kept their effort putting "DRM" on the product they are selling ?
Where they even allowed to do so ? Thanks for any precision you may give.
Old 20 March 2019, 11:08   #133
Hewitson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minuous View Post
It was never going to be a quick or easy job to turn 3.1 into something that surpasses 3.9 in every respect, but that point is coming, and 3.1.4 is an important step on that path.
3.1 already does surpass 3.9 in almost every respect. So it doesn't have ReAction. Big deal. It's a bloated piece of shit just like MUI and all the other user interface libraries available for the Amiga.
Old 20 March 2019, 11:14   #134
Aladin

I prefer 3.9
Old 20 March 2019, 11:19   #135
Thomas Richter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aladin View Post
I prefer 3.9
May I ask why? Just in case, but I do repeat myself, the components of 3.1.4 are, to a major degree, based on the 3.9 versions whenever we could get them. The only thing that is missing is reaction, and reaction-based programs.
Old 20 March 2019, 11:22   #136
Aladin

@Thomas Richter
it is easier on my configuration (1260ppc-bvision-256Mo)

/it was mostly to answer to "3.9 It's a bloated piece of shit" !
Old 20 March 2019, 12:40   #137
SpeedGeek

Quote:
Really? Your assumption that "Hundreds" of users are upgrading 3.9 to 3.1.4. appears to have plenty of bias and most certainly suits your agenda.

Quote:
I prefer 3.9
+1
Old 20 March 2019, 12:52   #138
Bruce Abbott

Quote:
I'd be curious to know, from all the people in this thread who are complaining about Amiga Forever... how many of you have donated to WinUAE?
Why would I donate to something I don't use?
Old 20 March 2019, 13:30   #139
Bruce Abbott

Quote:
it is easier on my configuration (1260ppc-bvision-256Mo)
That's nice for you, but it doesn't change the fact that 3.9 is bloatware.

The vast majority of Amiga owners don't have a machine with the specs required to run 3.9 properly, nor the desire to 'upgrade' (if that is even possible with the rarity of that hardware today). I'm not even sure that I could install it (don't have a CDROM drive).

I considered getting 3.9, but it turns out almost every feature is something I either already have, or don't want, or can't use. I wanted Reaction just to try out one program that I probably won't use anyway.
Old 20 March 2019, 13:49   #140
grond

Quote:
Originally Posted by malko View Post
If really Cloanto wants to Open source things, would you mind explain why they have kept their effort putting "DRM" on the product they are selling ?
Yet another one that equates "open source" with "free to copy for everyone"...