English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 24 March 2018, 11:41   #61
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer

Ah, I see, AROS itself is still free, this Icaros is just a bundle of AROS + lots of other people's programs.

I assume the AROS licence allows that, but I doubt all the games etc. which are part of it were licenced for commercial exploitation.

And yet the site still claims "Icaros Desktop is a free operating system and won’t ask you for money."

Last edited by Minuous; 24 March 2018 at 11:48.
Old 24 March 2018, 11:48   #62
BSzili
old chunk of coal

You are constantly moving the goalpost. You started with "it's not FOSS", then went on to "suppressing the binary", and now this Most open source licenses explicitly allow commercial use, you can also sell shareware/freeware with the author's permission. Feel free to go through the software bundled in Icaros Desktop, and let us know if there's any "commercial exploitation" going on, so Paolone can remove it.
Old 24 March 2018, 12:02   #63
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer

>Most open source licenses explicitly allow commercial use

Well, this is the main reason I don't use the GPL for any of my programs. If someone was profiting off my work like that I'd be mad as hell.

>Feel free to go through the software bundled in Icaros Desktop, and let us know if there's any "commercial exploitation" going on, so Paolone can remove it.

I can't see any list there of what is bundled, and am not paying $15 to find out. But judging by the screenshots page http://vmwaros.blogspot.com.au/p/screenshots.html there are parts of OS3.9 such as IconEdit.
Old 25 March 2018, 11:41   #64
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minuous View Post
>
But judging by the screenshots page http://vmwaros.blogspot.com.au/p/screenshots.html there are parts of OS3.9 such as IconEdit..

See screenshot:

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 26 August 2019 at 13:56.
Old 25 March 2018, 14:59   #65
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer

I see VMWare Player is clearly marked "Non-commercial use only" in that screenshot.
Old 25 March 2018, 18:03   #66
Etze
A3000-Fan

I don't get it. You can download Icaros Desktop 2.2.1 for free: here

The Release candidate for Version 2.2.2 is only available as an incentive to patrons. And of course to beta-testers who, I might think, get it for free.

So if you're neither a patron, nor a beta-tester, just wait for the official release.

Where's the problem again?
Old 25 March 2018, 22:02   #67
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer

Just because an older version is still available for free, that doesn't give them the right to sell these programs in their new version.
Old 25 March 2018, 22:27   #68
rare_j
Zone Friend

They're not selling it and I think you know that.
Old 26 March 2018, 04:56   #69
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer

Of course they are selling it, just because they say "supporters" instead of "customers" doesn't change anything.
Old 26 March 2018, 09:00   #70
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
I see VMWare Player is clearly marked "Non-commercial use only" in that screenshot.
That's my screenshot of an old version of VMWare Player 6 Freeware posted only to show you that there is no OS3 operating system on Icaros
Old 29 March 2018, 12:47   #71
terminills

Quote:
Of course they are selling it, just because they say "supporters" instead of "customers" doesn't change anything.
Why do you care? You don't even like AROS.
Old 29 March 2018, 13:23   #72
clebin

Wow! So:

* Icaros is including AmigaOS 3.9 programs like IconEdit
* Icaros is a commercial OS
* .. built by a company with a non-commerical license of VMWare (based on a separate user's screenshot)
* Icaros is illegally selling other people's software
* You need to pay $15 to find out what's in Icaros
* FOSS projects aren't allowed to accept donations
* FOSS projects must supply daily binaries of unfinished work or they are "suppressing them" (can't expect open-source enthusiasts who want to trial alpha/beta softare to compile it themselves!!!!!111)

Keep it coming minuous, this is comedy gold.
Old 30 March 2018, 05:13   #73
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer

@terminills:

Just because it's not something I personally use doesn't mean I shouldn't care at all, that would be a very self-centred way of thinking.

@clebin:

>FOSS projects aren't allowed to accept donations

When did I ever say that!?

>Icaros is a commercial OS

Indeed. I don't see how this is a controversial point. "If you give us money we will let you have this product" is how selling works.

>FOSS projects must supply daily binaries of unfinished work or they are "suppressing them" (can't expect open-source enthusiasts who want to trial alpha/beta softare to compile it themselves!!!!!111)

AFAICT only binaries are available from the site; there doesn't seem to be source available for any version of Icaros. Therefore it can't be compiled by end users.

>Icaros is including AmigaOS 3.9 programs like IconEdit

It's a reasonable assumption to make that the screenshots of Icaros are showing what's in Icaros; if someone paid money for it on the assumption that these things were included and then found out that they weren't they would feel conned.

>You need to pay $15 to find out what's in Icaros

That does seem to be the case, for the new version, since the screenshots apparently bear no relation to what is actually in the package. I had a look at the manual, it mentions a couple of programs but there is certainly no complete list in there.
Old 08 April 2018, 13:23   #74
drwhy

... i think i should try to install this on my Vampired Amiga !
... will this work ?
Old 08 April 2018, 13:36   #75
AMIGASYSTEM

No IcarOS it's a Distro X86 (PC Windows), you can instead install AROS 68k, look at my video, the Vampire in my opinion it has little power to make it turn, on WinUAE runs perfectly

WinUAE AROS 68K
[ Show youtube player ]
Old 08 April 2018, 14:01   #76
drwhy

... ahh ... ok ... now i see !
(have mistake some things)
Old 08 April 2018, 18:31   #77
AMIGASYSTEM

What would I do wrong?
Old 02 May 2018, 10:16   #78
AMIGASYSTEM

Icaros Desktop 2.2.2 has been released, and it includes a preliminary version of Janus-UAE2, AROS port of WinUAE! But, as promised long ago on Patreon, it will be initally available only to our patrons and beta-testers. Can't you wait for "two more weeks"? No problem, head to our Patreon page, and start pledging us!

https://www.patreon.com/posts/icaros-2-2-2-for-18532463

New from Icaros Desktop 2.2.1

- updated ZuneView and ZunePaint to latest releases
+ now they can save images to various ILBM formats
- updated AmiCloud client
- added DigiClock to system utilities
+ a clock is now integrated on menu bar's top right corner
- added Janus-UAE2 (WinUAE port) to Emulators
- added RemoteAROSShell
+ you can access to Icaros via Telnet from another host
- added FolderSync2
- added Appbuilder to demo programs
- added Gilbert to Games
- added GLColumns to OpenGL Games
- added MUI examples to Development
- added metaDiary to Applications
- added RTF-Riddle to Applications
- added BackupCopy to Filesystems
- updated Hollywood plugins to latest version
- updated AROS libraries
- updated AROS system files
- added mod2wav to CLI commands
- added PDF to PNG option in Magellan GUI
- added MOD to wave option in Magellan GUI
- updated redit (68K) to version 2
- added GPmark to Benchmarks
- added b4sdl and HGui to develoment languages/tools
- added clipo to management tools
- added LuxCC to development tools
- added VMT to misc
- added VAMP to Multimedia players
- added AmiTimeKeeper to Networking
- updated cloud handlers for Gdrive and Dropbox
- AmiBridge can now be optional to save space on system partition
- fixed a bug in hosted installation script
- fixed a bug in HostBridge
Old 03 May 2018, 15:21   #79
paolone

Quote:
Well, listen.

A "customer" is someone who's required to pay, to get something they are willing to buy. A "supporter" is someone who pays - no matter what he's getting in exchange - to sustain a project and that's rewarded, from time to time, with a bonus others don't get. Moreover, since you didn't even mind to understand how patron campaign works, just head to www.patreon.com instead and discover yourself.

About the other silly rants coming out of your keyboard:

1. there's neither IconEdit nor any other commercial part of AmigaOS 3.X included with Icaros Desktop. The screenshot you're refering to, is showing Amiga Forever running inside of AmiBridge after integration (which is something the user is expected to do only if he/she owns a legitimate copy of Amiga Forever, and only after Icaros Desktop has been properly installed). Your "if there's a screenshot depicting something I expect it is included too" assumption is yours only and as silly as thinking that the top model depicted inside the car's advert is included with the car, when you actually buy it from the reseller.

2. every official release of Icaros Desktop has always been free of charge and publicly available, and the same will be for version 2.2.2. This will just happen LATER.

3. why? Because Icaros Desktop costs to me. Sad but true, I have to pay for bandwidth, for hosting, for domain name and some times for the work other people did on Icaros components. Moreover, my spare time is not free either. It is time I may consider to spend on different projects, that might bring real money to me, instead of this romantic Amigaish thing. Luckily enough, and this can be true for any kind of hobby, I still enjoy using AROS and learning from it, so making Icaros do always something more is still amusing. To simply put it, I just wish Icaros Desktop being able to make me recoup AT LEAST the money *I* spend to keep it alive. And people helping me, either by beta testing (in which case they get the updates for free), either by donating/patronizing, are served first.

4. Sources of distributed software is included in the Extras/Documentation drawer of the Live! edition. There's no reason to duplicate this in the website, first because you just need to download the distro itself, and second because all sources of open-source 3rd party applications are already available at their own author sites, so you can easily get 'em there. By the way, you told that it's not 90s anymore and you're not expected to build the sources by yourself, so why are you caring at all?

5. Icaros Desktop also includes once-commercial software like Revolution Software's "Beneath a Steel Sky" or 68K applications like AmiBlitz and TVPaint. And... guess what? I got the authors permission to redistribute them. Not only 'cos they've been relicensed as public domain or as freely redistributable software, but because I personally contacted them and got permissions by email. You may also find some requests of mine, on this site, to get help finding the authors of this or that program.

6. VMware Player is not part of the distribution and, as an individual, I am absolutely not required to pay for the commercial VMware Workstation package (which would, indeed, be of no use to me). Even though the screenshot you're talking about is not mine, I would be legally entitled both to use VMware Player on my PC AND to post screenshots showing the "for not commercial use" caption. Icaros Desktop is NOT a commercial project even if you misunderstand it.

7. If you need to know what's included in any version of Icaros Desktop to be released or being released, you just have to download the former version and add what's clearly written in the "New from version x.y.z" section of the release page.

8. The AROS public license and most FOSS licenses already allow me to distribute only binaries, I just have to be sure people can easily get the sources as well. As explained before, this is the case since a) AROS sources are publicly available; b) other sources are included in the distribution, and c) there are many programs which have been released as closed sources, so they're not available anyway. No license forbids to distribute a program along with others and, in that case, if you see it in Icaros desktop, it's because I have an email, somewhere, where the author is stating that I CAN distribute it.

9. There's nothing more frustrating than answering obvious things to people demonstrating to be complete assholes, making wrong assumptions, claiming issues that do not exist and, best of all, insisting on their own ideas although everyone else tried to explain where they were wrong. So that's the first and last answer on this subject.

Old 20 May 2018, 23:44   #80
shaf

can someone please fix the registration on Aros-Exec it still uses the old capcha which is no longer valid. I lost my passwork and cant access my old email account so can't recover it.

Shaf (same on Aros-Exec)