Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 26 January 2018, 16:45   #21
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
The list is shit anyway so whatever
Don't be so hard Akira .
Certainly this list was written as horoscope is written in the newspaper : "for entertainment purposes only".
Old 26 January 2018, 22:18   #22
Mrz
Banned

the Dreamscast in the 4th place ?
obviously those voters are retroretards
Old 26 January 2018, 22:22   #23
DamienD
Banned

Definitely

...and the poor Neo-Geo AES at 25???

What a console; arcade quality! Yes, I get it cost a bomb, as did the games but I really would have loved one of those bad boys back then.

...luckily MAME came along 1997 and my prayers had been answered
Old 26 January 2018, 22:34   #24
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

I think the Playstation 2 is the best game system ever. You have a shitload of good games of any genre you may want to play, from strategy games to First Person Shooters to RPGs to 2D Shoot'em ups to racing games... whatever you want to play, there are at least half a dozen of good games for the genre on the PS2. And then you have completely original brilliant stuff like the Katamari games.

I can't even understand how the PS1 is above the PS2 on that list, the whole list seems like a joke indeed.
Old 26 January 2018, 22:59   #25
nobody

My top 10

1. PlayStation
2. SNES
3. Gameboy advance
4. Amiga 500
5. C64
6. PSP
7. Dos VGA
8. Spectrum
9. PC engine
10. Megadrive
Old 26 January 2018, 23:58   #26
d4rk3lf

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotd View Post
but amiga is better because we got all the best USGold/Tiertex arcade conversions.
Yeah, there were some terrible conversions, but lots of non-ported games were close to arcade quality (and some of the arcade games also).
And don't forget all the money you had to have to play arcades , and with pc's and consoles, it's all free, after you buy it (or parrents).

Quote:
Amiga is lucky to be in such a chart at all.
Lots of nostalgia playing the part here.
khmmhh
While I do understand you're bored with overrating Amiga's from some users, but you're starting to behave completely opposite, that is almost just annoying as Amiga fanboys blabbing.
Amiga should be lucky to be on the list of 10?
Let's go back in time, in my childhood, where bunch of kids had C64, Spectrum, and Nes, and few luckier (and ritcher) had Amigas, and played games in their home, almost as quaity as Arcade games (back then, we couldn't even tell there's much difference), and for us kids, Amiga was God then.
If you lived in US back then, then I understand, it wasn't very popular there, but in Europe, you only had 2 kinds of people: The ones who had Amigas, and the ones who wish to have Amiga.
Old 27 January 2018, 00:00   #27
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4rk3lf View Post
Let's go back in time, in my childhood, where bunch of kids had C64, Spectrum, and Nes, and few luckier (and ritcher) had Amigas, and played games in their home, almost as quaity as Arcade games (back then, we couldn't even tell there's much difference), and for us kids, Amiga was God then.
If you lived in US back then, then I understand, it wasn't very popular there, but in Europe, you only had 2 kinds of people: The ones who had Amigas, and the ones who wish to have Amiga.
Very, very, very good points!!! Totally agree; everything is about the time period of release / impact
Old 27 January 2018, 02:23   #28
rare_j
Zone Friend

It's not the list I would come up with but it's not a bad list. You can see how most of it got into the place that it is in.
Personally I don't rate the dreamcast but can see why a lot of people do.
The list makes sense as a list of systems that had the most impact in the UK.
N64 deserves its place, some of the best games of all time were released for it and people actually bought and played them.
That's why Neo Geo is way down there. To this day I've never even seen one even if I've played most of the library.
Old 29 January 2018, 16:16   #29
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4rk3lf View Post
While I do understand you're bored with overrating Amiga's from some users, but you're starting to behave completely opposite, that is almost just annoying as Amiga fanboys blabbing.
Nah you misunderstand. I love the Amiga, truly. I just think there needs to be balance.

It just depends on how you would approach a list like this. I guess in my case it has to be more analytic and objective regarding their impact in videogame history. In that light, in my opinion, the Amiga was not that relevant, at least not enough to be in a top ten.

A lot of times, game development on the Amiga seemed to be trying to mimic console, arcade and other platform games, and not quite getting there.
Revolutionary games like Lemmings were few and far between. The Amiga had probably five or eight exclusive titles worth having a machine for. I think my favorite period of Amiga games was when the Amiga was *the* thing and impossible to compete with, also made possible super original games like Mindwalker.

Sure, as the Atari 2600, perhaps it played a role in widespreading video games at home in its time like you mention, but it didn't spearhead that, the 8-bit machines did (as well as creating bedroom coding!), and the Amiga got sandwiched, sadly, between that innovation of 8-bit home computers and the massive hit of consoles later on. The consoles just took over fast and hard and from 1989 on the Amiga was just playing catch-up.
Old 29 January 2018, 18:06   #30
Mrz
Banned

let's back to reality

the best gamesystem of all time is a today PC + windows + fast cpu + a fast geforce card

in windows there are the best emulators where you can play the retro-system you want using the joystick you want etc etc

in the 2nd place together Id say that the PS2 and the XBOX 360 are fantastic gamesystems with the best library of games ,yet the PC+windows is far better
Old 29 January 2018, 19:47   #31
Amigajay

Disagree with Akira totally, whilst in the end the Amiga didnt have that many great exclusives, doesnt take away that many great games were made first on the Amiga and then ported to other platforms because they were great games.
I think people tend to forget we were playing alot of multiplatform games first or as todays kids like to call them ‘timed exclusives’ and in alot of other cases at the same time with many games being the better version, so whilst the Amiga was never the all in one gaming platform you would ever need (nothing was) it was certainly the best of its generation and deserves a top 10 finish in that list, btw was made up of votes from various places not random choices.
Old 29 January 2018, 19:55   #32
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotd View Post
but amiga is better because we got all the best USGold/Tiertex arcade conversions.
I have fixed all of them for my private collection. I say fixed, but they were so perfectly coded and crafted that I barely had to do anything.
Old 29 January 2018, 20:04   #33
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amigajay View Post
as todays kids like to call them ‘timed exclusives’
I totally meant "timed exclusives", Lemmings was ported to everything including your washing machine, but it was an Amiga first, and one of the most unique games in history. I still stand by my statement that in most cases the Amiga was just trying to play catch up to what was happening in other systems. The market was shifting, it was inevitable, and as such, creativity was hindered.

My Amiga was my only gaming system at the time and I also appreciated ports don't get me wrong, and as I said, I loved and still love, the system, but I cannot objectively put it in a top ten of video game history relevance after growing up and being able to see at history in hindsight.
Old 29 January 2018, 20:39   #34
Adropac2
Zone Friend

the N64 days were brilliant. The Amiga and C64 are for me the most fun times and regarding the Amiga especially, it wasn't so much that it had the best games a lot of the time but how the machine felt to play on. It has this warm atmosphere quite different to say the humble ST which is somewhat lonely or the Megadrive's overcast vibe. The Amiga though did sometimes have some excellent games too but really owning one was more about the feeling you had at something special and enough that you didn't need anything else like a console. For a time anyway but then with so many great Snes and MD games, you eventually got one. Special mention to the 2600 which is where it all started and has some still killer games. It's all a bit different these days so it's great we can still play these great systems rather easily
Old 30 January 2018, 00:06   #35
BippyM
Global Moderator

For me the vote would be based on what systems gave me the most enjoyment, and not the relevance to the industry. That is a completely different top ten and not one that should be voted for by the average joe without plenty of background knowledge on the systems and the impact they made. However, that being said I think the Playstation is the greatest gaming machine for both lists. With the Amiga coming second on the gaming list, but like you not really charting on the impact of the industry, simply because it wasn't anywhere near successful in other territories (US/Japan etc).

Quote:
Nah you misunderstand. I love the Amiga, truly. I just think there needs to be balance.

It just depends on how you would approach a list like this. I guess in my case it has to be more analytic and objective regarding their impact in videogame history. In that light, in my opinion, the Amiga was not that relevant, at least not enough to be in a top ten.

A lot of times, game development on the Amiga seemed to be trying to mimic console, arcade and other platform games, and not quite getting there.
Revolutionary games like Lemmings were few and far between. The Amiga had probably five or eight exclusive titles worth having a machine for. I think my favorite period of Amiga games was when the Amiga was *the* thing and impossible to compete with, also made possible super original games like Mindwalker.

Sure, as the Atari 2600, perhaps it played a role in widespreading video games at home in its time like you mention, but it didn't spearhead that, the 8-bit machines did (as well as creating bedroom coding!), and the Amiga got sandwiched, sadly, between that innovation of 8-bit home computers and the massive hit of consoles later on. The consoles just took over fast and hard and from 1989 on the Amiga was just playing catch-up.
Old 30 January 2018, 01:17   #36
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Sorry Akira, I disagree.

Revolutionary games were a staple of the Amiga, games that simply wouldn't have even been considered for console had they not been a success on Amiga and to a lesser extent, ST.

People seem to forget that Psygnosis were not even remotely keen to publish Lemmings in the first place until the reaction to it convinced them otherwise, because it didn't fit their mold of flashy graphics and flashy audio.

Populous, spawned add-on disks, a sequel, and then a pair of kinda sequels in Powermonger.

Syndicate, crap programming meant it couldn't quite be the game it wanted to be until the PC version was released, but the genesis of Syndicate came about on the Amiga.

Brat, Knights of the Crystallion, Push Over, Extase, The Immortal, Battle Chess, to name but a few.

It was in the original stuff the Amiga excelled at, it was responsible for GENRES not yet created.

Amiga deserves its place on that list, quite how its so high when its surrounded by some pretty illustrious company, and frequently got sidelined for the more "hip" Megadrive and SNES is quite refreshing.
Old 30 January 2018, 09:07   #37
Amigajay

Quote:
but I cannot objectively put it in a top ten of video game history relevance after growing up and being able to see at history in hindsight.
But why should hindsight have any role in your choices? It surely should be based on the fun you had with the machines at the time?

Hindsight blinds people alot, esp in things like prices of games, and in the case of the N64 was with its vomit enducing low res and blurry graphics, its only now when people use emulators with filters and high res modes people base their judgement that the N64 was like that on a CRT screen when it was far from the truth for many, i rate the N64 as one of Nintendos worst machines, sure it had Goldeneye, Waverace and Mario 64 but a handful of great games on a awful piece of backward thinking piece of hardware with £60-£70 games does not make a great games machine imo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT View Post
for the more "hip" Megadrive and SNES is quite refreshing.
The Megadrive was “cool” and “hip” the SNES was always lamented for being a “Fisher Price” console
Old 30 January 2018, 10:38   #38
Foebane
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amigajay View Post
Hindsight blinds people alot, esp in things like prices of games, and in the case of the N64 was with its vomit enducing low res and blurry graphics, its only now when people use emulators with filters and high res modes people base their judgement that the N64 was like that on a CRT screen when it was far from the truth for many, i rate the N64 as one of Nintendos worst machines, sure it had Goldeneye, Waverace and Mario 64 but a handful of great games on a awful piece of backward thinking piece of hardware with £60-£70 games does not make a great games machine imo.
Yeah, I'm old enough to remember seeing Mario 64 on the real deal back in the day, and screenshots in magazines, and yes, the N64's graphics somehow looked awful and blurry, despite the 3D. I thought the PlayStation's graphics looked a lot cleaner, although the triangles were prone to "buckling" when close-up.

I don't like most consoles, having tried a PlayStation and finding the games too expensive, I remember spending ages looking for one that I would like in 1997, settled on Command and Conquer played with a controller, and that was after I'd played it on the PC - however, I wouldn't have minded a SNES, the graphics on that reminded me of a blend of Amiga OCS and AGA.
Old 30 January 2018, 10:40   #39
Foebane
Banned

Quote:
Are you sure you are in the right forum? All I see you post about lately is Atari 4/8/XE/L
That series of computers is massively underrated, if you ask me. It's almost criminal how most ignore it.

Put it this way: within home computers, there's the Jay Miner camp and the Jack Tramiel camp - guess which one I'm in?
Old 31 January 2018, 01:39   #40
d4rk3lf

Well, as I see it...
As someone already mention, there's only 2 ways to look on this: subjective, and objective.
We are all going on subjective (and that is ok), and it's just our personal time/environment/feel we were in.

I guess, objective research would include some formula of sold consoles and pc's, and number of games (and sold) for each console and computers. That should really give a close estimation of what most popular playing machine would be.
I am afraid it would be (doubtless) a PC

However, I am happy that, almost always, majority is wrong.