English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 03 July 2008, 11:04   #1
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

The Amiga (HW) scene sucks

They are like vultures circling a dying animal.

Last week someone decided to sell their DKB3128 on Ebay, (the price for these has been going up steadily over the last few years), auction lasted 10 seconds as someone bought it for $299 buy it now.

Not bad... but now having seen what they could be worth everyone who has one of these cards is scrambling to cash it in

$600 buy it now

Sheesh our community is shallow, money orientated!
Old 03 July 2008, 11:30   #2
T_hairy_bootson
Workbitch 1.3

Not everyone is like that, many people give stuff away all the time.
Old 03 July 2008, 11:36   #3
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

@Alexh

as you know my friend, its dis-heartening seeing things like this, but one could argue that its only worth what some one is willing to pay for it... i doubt there would be a sale at that price top be honest.

There is always AmiBay that tries to bring the community together to trade fairly and evenly with each other.

however this said, some one people get the wrong idea and think because some one sells and item at that price (refer to alexh linkie) that their item is with xx% part of that... it can get crazy....

I supose the real truth is that the community is the one whom deems the fair cost of an item.... although this is mainly in hindsight
Old 03 July 2008, 11:36   #4
davideo
Amiga Tomcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_hairy_bootson View Post
Not everyone is like that, many people give stuff away all the time.
Or in my case - for next to nothing with some off the things I've parted with lately - although I'll admit that some of the stuff I'll be getting rid of I'll have to sell to recoup the cost of my 4000D

Dave G
Old 03 July 2008, 11:37   #5
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Nothing new. There are a lot of hardware collectors who pays every price. On the other side there are these greedy reseller, trying to squeeze the last penny from potentional buyer.

This prevents me to get a decent turbo card like the Blizzard 1230 IV for a reasonable price. I will never pay 150+ € for this one.
Old 03 July 2008, 11:53   #6
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

I find such threads rather pointless to be honest. If someone decides to sell hw for a ridiculous price there's nothing you can do anyway. But saying that the HW scene sucks is a bit exaggerated IMHO. You can still get Amiga HW for very fair prices, sometimes even on E(p/g)ay.
Old 03 July 2008, 11:54   #7
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

I just dont like to see these miserable little worms coming out of the woodwork.
Old 03 July 2008, 11:57   #8
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Neither do I but I learned to just ignore them.
Old 03 July 2008, 12:18   #9
MazinKaesar
Super Robot Pilot

Amiga HW wae EVER too expensive!!!!
Old 03 July 2008, 12:22   #10
Graham Humphrey

To be fair though - I personally wouldn't blame anyone for selling their hardware at inflated prices if they know someone is going to be daft enough to buy it. If people stopped paying crazy money for things then it would stop soon enough. But as long as people do it then it's not going to end anytime soon.
Old 03 July 2008, 12:33   #11
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Humphrey View Post
To be fair though - I personally wouldn't blame anyone for selling their hardware at inflated prices if they know someone is going to be daft enough to buy it. If people stopped paying crazy money for things then it would stop soon enough. But as long as people do it then it's not going to end anytime soon.
Reminds me of this german dude who thought he could make a deal by selling Amiga HW for insane prices. Check here f.e., starting bid 480 EUR for a Cyberstorm MK I... (I recently bought an MKII for 220 EUR and for my MKI I paid 170 EUR some years ago) Now look at the number of bids He got what he deserved (no money at all! ).
Old 03 July 2008, 12:49   #12
Graham Humphrey

Good I trust next time he'll be putting a more realistic price on it.

Can't blame the guy for trying though
Old 03 July 2008, 13:06   #13
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

He really tried hard, don't you think
Old 03 July 2008, 13:26   #14
StevenJGore
Amiga Fanatic

People are selling stuff on eBay to make a profit? Surely not!!

Quote:
This prevents me to get a decent turbo card like the Blizzard 1230 IV for a reasonable price. I will never pay 150+ € for this one.
In about 2004, I sold one of these card for £290 (~375 Euros), which was about the going rate back then. They've actually fallen in price quite considerably over the years. Same for quite a lot of other Amiga hardware, actually.

The Amiga has a gradually diminishing fanbase, with a finite amount of hardware available. Over time, there is more hardware available per Amiga user. Not suprisingly then, prices are going down.

Having said that, I sold an Amiga 500 for £115 a couple of weeks ago. I started at 99p with no reserve and just let the auction run. It went for what somebody was prepared to pay for it. That's how auctions work!

Steve.
Old 03 July 2008, 13:30   #15
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

The worst example of this was the guy with the God's avatar... erm Martin-Flash.

He bought Amiga stuff in Poland off "poor" polish people at rock bottom prices on their equivalent of Ebay and then put it on UK Ebay the very next day at 2x-3x price.

Entrepreneurial some might say. Robbing git I say
Old 03 July 2008, 14:49   #16
Chain
A-Collector, repairments

Send a message via ICQ to Chain
martin-flash and lord-spider

try allegro.pl, they have accounts here too and you can see how much profit they have by simply re-selling it on egay

fuck them
Old 03 July 2008, 15:20   #17
Madcrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenJGore View Post
Having said that, I sold an Amiga 500 for £115 a couple of weeks ago. I started at 99p with no reserve and just let the auction run. It went for what somebody was prepared to pay for it. That's how auctions work!
I got my A500 for free from an old-timer who was shocked and happy to see that there were young people still interested in old machines like the Amiga. It came with a power supply, 2 external disk drives, a bag full of random floppies (mosty Fish Disks), a 1080 monitor, a bunch of old books, a 512K trapdoor expansion and a box of dead 500s for repair parts. He would have given me an A2500 (a 2000 with a bundled 020 or 030 expansion) but he couldn't find the expansion card and I didn't have room for what amounted to an A500 in a bigger case.

A got a Commodore 128D (basically a C128 in an A1000 case) the same way, but my parents made me get rid of it

To me, that is what the hardware scene SHOULD be like: those who no longer have an interest giving their old stuff to those who do. Sadly, it seems like not everyone agrees.
Old 03 July 2008, 15:28   #18
Dizzy
Pirate

on the other hand I sometimes buy those "boxes of hardware" cheap, often sold as untested and maybe nonworking. Then I sell the stuff I dont need tested and earning some money, wich I use for buying other retro stuff, this way the mill go around
I don't buy retro stuff I preserve it for my daughters to learn about the past
I would love to team up with some oher retro dudes and make a museum
Old 03 July 2008, 15:48   #19
Yoto
1 Potato to Spam´em all!

I was here just thinking that 3 or 4 months ago i was unpacking my A1200 from his long sleep, and was wondering what to do with it, ofcourse that i had no notion of Whdload and EAB ever existed, for me it was just a old computer to wich i was strangely attached. I even thought about placing it along with the Blizz 1230 all in the recycle center..."Why bother?" I tought, now that i have WinUAE...and all those Adf disks in DVD rom...good thing i check it out on the internet first.
To Dizzy: If you want to start a retro museum i could sent you my mother-in-law...

Last edited by Yoto; 03 July 2008 at 16:23.
Old 03 July 2008, 16:19   #20
boing_1000
A1000 Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Humphrey View Post
Exactly right. I started my Catweasel out at $.99 cents and it ballooned to 222.50. I mean, if people want to pay that much for this stuff, to each his own, I suppose.