Old 09 November 2005, 15:11   #2
FromWithin
Music lord

Remember it? I use it every day, sir!
Old 10 November 2005, 00:11   #3
mcbpete
Zone Friend

Send a message via MSN to mcbpete Send a message via Yahoo to mcbpete
I remember when I was about 10 I tried to get to grips with the program. I certainly failed miserably I seem to remember
Old 10 November 2005, 00:32   #4
woody57

In use there is still nothing to replace its flexability as it's more a musicians tool than the rest of the bunch.

While the original board it's news apeared on seemed to critisise it's looks, the version of Bars & pipes professional shown is a true multimedia control system capapable of handling a LOT more than just midi music.

Its REAL time ability to record & play back music outstrips the overpriced , overquantised and less compatable music systems that are touted around todays recording industry.

And its dropable in each channel tools perform better that some external add on effects even today.

From Within can speak about this program with REAL authority , as he is a music proffesional . so I would ask if he agree's a ported version to OS4 sounds like a good step forward for an application to run on it

But unless it contains NEW features etc then it certainly won't inspire older users to buy A1 & OS4 unless some of the external midi voices & improved effects signal processsing are now going to be carried internally as opposed to the need for external sound modules

There again what do you really think ? is there any room in the market for a NEW B&P 2005?
Because as it stands why change ?
Old 10 November 2005, 01:06   #5
T_hairy_bootson
Workbitch 1.3

Does AOS4 have a port of Sonix?
Old 10 November 2005, 04:28   #6
FromWithin
Music lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody57
From Within can speak about this program with REAL authority, as he is a music professional.
Being a music professional does not necessarily carry the authority, but I would suggest that the fact that I have been using Bars&Pipes constantly for over 12 years (!) does.

Todor Fay, B&P's designer is a genius (and very nice bloke), and Alfred Faust, the current maintainer, is a saint for his work.

Quote:
So I would ask if he agrees a ported version to OS4 sounds like a good step forward for an application to run on it.
This would be the sole reason for me to buy OS4. I only use my Amiga for B&P and Personal Paint. My A4000 won't last forever (although it doesn't show any signs of age and I have an emergency backup A3000), and any way to have B&P running natively is interesting to me. WinUAE just cannot give accurate enough timing for real professional use (although I have used it for a couple of "real instrument" tracks that didn't require absolute strict timing when I was working away from home, and I greatly thank WinUAE contributors for making that happen), especially when I need to do synchronous recording and sample playback/softsynths on the PC at the same time.

There is also a possibility of me moving to another country, and I would much prefer to buy an AmigaOne and not have to lug my 4000 with me. This is only reason I would consider buying an AmigaOne (I already have a PPC card, so when B&P works fully I'll get OS4 anyway). Although the 300 Tools on the current classic version can not all be ported over as source code is missing for many. Whatever happens, I can't see there being a time when I'm not writing music with Bars&Pipes or a future direct descendant. BTW, one great thing about the classic Amiga for audio is that you can power down the hard drives indefinitely to make it silent.

With regard to other users, however, without built-in hard disk recording and VST compatibility, people are very unlikely to switch. These two features are not going to happen, and without the experience of actually having already used Bars&Pipes, it's difficult to see the benefits of having a stand-alone MIDI editor. Somebody would really need to have a face-to-face demonstration of what it can do, unless they are actively looking for a better way of editing MIDI.

One thing it does is give greater legitimacy to OS4 itself. B&P is, at the very least, remembered with fondness by a lot of people, and it is a good line to add onto the feature list.
Old 10 November 2005, 12:52   #7
dondilly

The source code for bars and pipes is now available and I did read somewhere that it either has been or is being ported to AROS so still not necessary to buy an A1.
Old 10 November 2005, 15:52   #8
FromWithin
Music lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by dondilly
The source code for bars and pipes is now available and I did read somewhere that it either has been or is being ported to AROS so still not necessary to buy an A1.
It's not being ported to AROS as far as I'm aware. MorphOS, yes. AROS, no. There's no way in hell I would use AROS to run Bars&Pipes though. I'm a fan of the project, but I wouldn't trust it enough. It'll be a long time before stability is high enough for professional usage.

Either way, it still doesn't help the fact that I need a totally separate computer for Bars&Pipes. I still need my PC for my EmulatorX card/software and multi-track recording. So to stop me carting my Amiga across the atlantic, why not just buy an AmigaOne? Makes sense to me.
Old 10 November 2005, 18:28   #9
dondilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by FromWithin
It's not being ported to AROS as far as I'm aware. MorphOS, yes. AROS, no. There's no way in hell I would use AROS to run Bars&Pipes though. I'm a fan of the project, but I wouldn't trust it enough. It'll be a long time before stability is high enough for professional usage.
I cant recall where I read about the Aros BNP port, over the past few days, but just from doing a google for 'aros bars pipes' will lead you to an apps list http://mama.indstate.edu/users/nova/list.html
that isnt where I saw it originally but does show it as a work in progress.
As for Aros's future stability, that has yet to be seen. My post wasnt as a recommendation, just pointing out another option to running a 68k version of BNP under any form of emulation.
Old 10 November 2005, 20:00   #10
Photon

I loved Bars'n'pipes when I had my small studio hooked up to my Amiga. At one point, I still used my Amiga for MIDI stuff and using a decent PC for recording, mixing and adding acoustic stuff. Just because it was so easy and reliable for MIDI stuff, and I had more control over my vintage analog synths. It was great!

But now I've found the ultimate music software. Unfortunately it's for PC. IMO the ultimate solution for any studio is Reason with a sample editing program ReWired into it for the acoustic stuff. For those who want to keep up professionally, I say take a look.
Old 10 November 2005, 20:32   #11
dondilly

Photon:
Do you have a like to a review or a product page ?
Old 10 November 2005, 21:22   #12
FromWithin
Music lord

The Propellerheads website has info about Reason.

Personally, I can't stand the program. I find it annoyingly restricting and far too fiddly. I love the idea of having everything in one box, but I just can't come to terms with the Reason ethos. Hardware rack units are designed to fit into racks. Certain interfaces on units have small displays due to cost of manufacture. What does Reason do? Emulates these ridiculously tiny interfaces and wastes half of the screen. It makes the screenshots look good, but kills the usability. And obviously the MIDI/note editing doesn't hold a candle to B&P.

I'm downloading the v3.0 demo right now, but the blurb seems to suggest that they've just added some new effects units in there, and it still suffers from the same problems as the other versions.

Update: Yep, just like the previous versions. Not for me, I'm afraid.

Last edited by FromWithin; 10 November 2005 at 21:32.
Old 10 November 2005, 21:37   #13
Photon

Here's some reviews:

http://www.tweakheadz.com/review_of_...ads_reason.htm

http://dell2.think-ads.com/subsites/...urenet_UK.html

Two forums:

http://www.reasonstation.net

http://reasonfreaks.com/

The last one I'm a member of and it's great when you've made a song and need some feedback, the guys there are the greatest!

The thing about Reason is that it replaces a whole studio. Hook up a modern MIDI keyboard/controller and you can tweak the knobs of the built in (or plugged in) virtual synthesizers. The wave output of the program is mixed, reverbed, distorted etc with very high precision - all the instruments give perfect wave outputs and the resulting wave is "calculated".

Apart from the effect rack units it also has mastering capabilities like compression, EQ, tape warming, etc. It's supposed to replace a whole rack of rack units in a studio. But it's not supposed to replace the analog/acoustic part of a studio, to bring acoustic stuff into Reason you ReWire it to some kind of sample recording/editing software.

The reason I like it is because it doesn't feel like you're using a piece of software, you turn knobs and listen and plug cables into rack unit to build a rack for your piece of music, remix, add some compression to the drums, etc etc. It has a much more analog feel to it.

To make fairly advanced compositions, like 20 instruments at once, I guess you need a 1600+ AMD CPU or better, because it's the CPU that "calculates" the music. The rest of the PC (or Mac) can be pretty crappy because (afaik) it only uses two audio channels and isn't really heavy on the graphics.

OK, didn't mean to hijack the thread, just wanted to mention the MIDI software that made me stop using B'n'P, now back to the topic! :P
Old 10 November 2005, 23:34   #14
woody57

Your above points are the reason I mentioned B&P Proffesional needs a serious update to attract serious useage beyond "diehards" for whom precision remains the ULTIMATE factor of useage.

The virtual vs physical arguement will never go away for those who prefer "feel" to just another voice bank, but at the entry level for serious composing,recording & audiovisual synchronisation I believe B&P could easily outstrip these newer softwares as a lot of time has passed since its last major upgrade & onboard sound/DSP is certainly many generations ahead from where it left off.

Unless it undergoes a change to intergrate these facts under an OS4 launch it will remain an interesting but underused addition that COULD have raised its profile & sales suficiently to expand a serious OS4 userbase
Old 22 November 2005, 04:42   #15
jobro

Who doesn't remember B&P?

Well if I had an AMIGA at the time then that software would've been my best friend!

Anyway another forum for music related stuff is www.samplecity.net

Worth a visit.
Old 20 January 2006, 06:23   #16
whiteb
Fanatically Amiga.

http://www.amigau.com/c-music/barsandpipes.htm

This site has some stuff and links to do with B&P.
Old 31 January 2006, 23:38   #17
dakidski

Bars and Pipes was ok, but for some reason I stuck with DR T

Old 25 April 2016, 06:20   #18
dave4shmups

When was this program originally released for the Amiga? And, what's the difference between it and Music-X.
Old 04 January 2023, 14:05   #19
Pyromania

a new version of Bars and Pipes came out recently right?
Old 04 January 2023, 22:29   #20
Peter
Still an Amiga user

I really enjoyed watching this on Youtube... sorry if it has been posted before...

[ Show youtube player ]